Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > General Moving Issues
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-25-2017, 12:28 PM

3 posts, read 5,605 times

Advertisements

Hello,

New here. I've been searching for an answer to this for a while but have found 0 answers so far.

Is there any moving company in the world that doesn't now require an email and phone number just to get a moving quote?... o_o

Basically, I want to know just the GENERAL cost of moving a 1 bedroom appartment from Boston, MA to Denver, CO... But it seems that (literally so far) every single website I click on for a general quote takes you through this form where it asks you where you're moving from, where you're moving to, what size of apartment, any cars, etc... AND THEN... at the very end.... after you've just wasted time filling out forms... THEN it asks you for your personal contact information. Well... I don't WANT to give away my personal contact information. I know all too well how that goes: With half of the companies out there, EVEN if you uncheck "send me promotional spam," they STILL send you tons of spam. Hit the unsubscribe button and your email gets sold to email list companies stating that you are a real person and that you should now be blasted with spam mail from everywhere... While email service providers are pretty good about blocking spam now, some still get through. I know all this because I used to/kind of still do know a guy that worked for a company that would do this... a legitimate company that would do this... actually quite a large company.

Anyway, the bottom line is, I'm trying to find at least one single website/service that will give me a quote WITHOUT requiring personal contact info... is there anything left out there that will do this or have all the companies switched to gathering all your personal information first?

..... sorry, 25% rant, 75% legitimate question. BUT... any help would be VERY MUCH appreciated!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-25-2017, 08:01 PM

1,187 posts, read 1,318,721 times
Unfortunately you're probably going to have to give out your contact info and for a legit quote will probably have to get an in house estimate.

How far is it from Boston to Denver? Someone may chime in who has moved a similar distance.

Old 10-26-2017, 06:58 AM

1,083 posts, read 1,029,684 times
Just make a burner email and phone number for the move. Finish the move and cancel them both.

Old 10-26-2017, 07:45 AM

73 posts, read 112,500 times
Stop trying to get an Internet Quote. You will only frustrate yourself - and there is literally no way anyone can give you an accurate number of what it will cost for you to move without having someone in your residence to see what exactly you have going on. There are too many variables.

Choosing a mover isn't a menu item. There isn't a "Set Price" for your move. Any legitimate mover will price your move based on the weight of your shipment - but there can also be charges for Flights of Steps, Elevators, Parking Permits, Abnormal Access, Crating, Packing, Bulky items, Third Party Services, Overtime, or possibly even Storage depending on your exact situation.

You need to pick up your phone and call a Mover with an affiliation with a Major Vanline. You will need to give them your phone number, and you will need to give them your email. You may get an email from the sales rep asking to see if you're still interested, but no legitimate mover will sell your info. The internet movers you're trying to get a figure from are the ones that will do this.

You'll get a low ball quote from one of these outfits - that are probably based in Florida (Florida has an INCREDIBLE amount of these fly-by-night movers due to being unregulated). These people will sell your job off to the lowest bidder - without any background checking, and will likely hold your goods hostage until you pay even more than what you should have paid a legitimate mover in the first place.

With all of that said.... You're looking at somewhere around $4,000-$7,000 for transportation from Denver, CO to Boston, MA.

Get someone in your house. The quotes are at no cost or obligation to you. If you continue with these internet services, you WILL get screwed.......

Old 10-26-2017, 08:18 AM

Thank you for your replies!

Alright... I'm starting to see the complexities of it all. Thanks for pointing all of this out! I guess I'll give them a call and use my "junkmail" email address. You would think there would be at least general "quick-quotes" they could give you until they really evaluate what you have. I was just looking for a ballpark range. And @DanATVL, yours definitely helps!!! Thank you!

I'll start calling around

Thanks again everyone!

Old 10-26-2017, 10:04 AM

15,243 posts, read 8,850,293 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 12creations View Post
Hello,

New here. I've been searching for an answer to this for a while but have found 0 answers so far.

Is there any moving company in the world that doesn't now require an email and phone number just to get a moving quote?... o_o

Basically, I want to know just the GENERAL cost of moving a 1 bedroom appartment from Boston, MA to Denver, CO... But it seems that (literally so far) every single website I click on for a general quote takes you through this form where it asks you where you're moving from, where you're moving to, what size of apartment, any cars, etc... AND THEN... at the very end.... after you've just wasted time filling out forms... THEN it asks you for your personal contact information. Well... I don't WANT to give away my personal contact information. I know all too well how that goes: With half of the companies out there, EVEN if you uncheck "send me promotional spam," they STILL send you tons of spam. Hit the unsubscribe button and your email gets sold to email list companies stating that you are a real person and that you should now be blasted with spam mail from everywhere... While email service providers are pretty good about blocking spam now, some still get through. I know all this because I used to/kind of still do know a guy that worked for a company that would do this... a legitimate company that would do this... actually quite a large company.

Anyway, the bottom line is, I'm trying to find at least one single website/service that will give me a quote WITHOUT requiring personal contact info... is there anything left out there that will do this or have all the companies switched to gathering all your personal information first?

..... sorry, 25% rant, 75% legitimate question. BUT... any help would be VERY MUCH appreciated!
If you just want to get a online information without following through on it, use a 10 minute email and give a phony phone number. Of course to actually set up the move, you are going to have to give real contact information.

10 Minute Mail - Temporary E-Mail

Old 10-26-2017, 11:32 AM

7,480 posts, read 13,502,993 times
To add to DanATVL's comments, you'll want to read this article that details How To Select A Mover. As it says, the first step is to move away from the computer ;-)

https://www.movingscam.com/articles/...moving-company

Old 10-26-2017, 01:31 PM

4,286 posts, read 4,725,667 times
This is one area, where in my experience, cheaper isn't always better.

Old 10-26-2017, 06:01 PM

6,792 posts, read 11,439,202 times
If you call a local agent of a major van line (like Allued, North American) they can probably give you a very rough estimate over the phone. But as others have said, someone really has to look at your stuff and the conditions where you are living to give you a good estimate.

Old 10-26-2017, 06:58 PM

Thanks for all the answers, everyone! Lot of good info and advice!

Also: I wasn't really searching for the cheapest service ever, I was just trying to get a rough estimate any way possible... besides phone or email. But it looks like that's not possible soooo I'll give some places a call.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > General Moving Issues