Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > General Moving Issues
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-07-2014, 02:15 PM

54 posts, read 96,548 times

Advertisements

Hello!

I've been researching online and asking friends who has moved long distance with their computers what are the best methods (made me even more confused). I've been in the process of getting rid of or donating stuff/clothes I no longer use or need. I won't be taking any big bulky items. One bedroom is the goal here. No furniture except, maybe one computer chair, one small metal cabinet, one small bookshelf, clothes...a girl needs her clothes, and a whole desktop gaming system with two monitors.

A friend said if I use U-Box it'll probably be left outside, depending on weather... which may damage the computer. I was considering doing this and taking the hard drive and graphics cards with me on the plane.

The other option is to have it shipped. But its so heavy!
Moving from Massachusetts to Dallas.

This is my last puzzle to solve.
And finally, what is the ideal time to move?

Thank you in advance... I'm a lurker.

Last edited by Shantotto; 03-07-2014 at 02:17 PM.. Reason: Forgot to add where I'm moving to.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-07-2014, 03:05 PM

7,244 posts, read 7,067,976 times
If you ship it, double box it. Make sure the first box is snug around the machine and the padding between the first box and the second box is as good as you can get it - reinforced corners and Styrofoam is how I would do it.

I guess you don't have the box the machine came in - that would be ideal for the first box.

Old 03-07-2014, 09:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kab0906 View Post
If you ship it, double box it. Make sure the first box is snug around the machine and the padding between the first box and the second box is as good as you can get it - reinforced corners and Styrofoam is how I would do it.

I guess you don't have the box the machine came in - that would be ideal for the first box.
I know! I'm kicking myself. Luckily, I work in a place where there's a lot of computer boxes and snagging a few in hopes it'll fit my computer. Styrofoam included. It's not the perfect fit but it works! I'll try the double box method if it doesn't fit. But I'm looking at it, it may fix.

Old 03-09-2014, 12:09 PM

3,930 posts, read 6,440,844 times
If concerned, get a plastic paint tarp, and wrap the box, seal with duct tape after packing.

Old 03-09-2014, 07:15 PM

578 posts, read 1,294,475 times
I saw someone do this at a LAN I recently went to: he put the tower itself (it was pretty big) into a LARGE suitcase and brought it with him on the plane. Though TSA attempted to get into the computer, it was mostly fine.

The monitors I'm not too sure about, though ...

Old 03-10-2014, 09:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Restrain View Post
If concerned, get a plastic paint tarp, and wrap the box, seal with duct tape after packing.
I think I'm moving away from putting my most valuable item in a pod. But I thank you

Quote:
Originally Posted by felinius View Post
I saw someone do this at a LAN I recently went to: he put the tower itself (it was pretty big) into a LARGE suitcase and brought it with him on the plane. Though TSA attempted to get into the computer, it was mostly fine.

The monitors I'm not too sure about, though ...
OOOOOooo! I was thinking about this too. Thank you for this! This may work. Just gotta figure out how to cushion it. Now the monitors...hmm...
Though, shipping via UPS/FEDEX stlill an option.

I still welcome more suggestions.

Last edited by Shantotto; 03-10-2014 at 09:44 AM..

Old 03-10-2014, 11:26 AM

19 posts, read 26,738 times
I am also curious about shipping monitors that I do not have boxes to as well.

Old 03-10-2014, 01:15 PM

14,539 posts, read 21,249,887 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shantotto View Post
I think I'm moving away from putting my most valuable item in a pod. But I thank you

OOOOOooo! I was thinking about this too. Thank you for this! This may work. Just gotta figure out how to cushion it. Now the monitors...hmm...
Though, shipping via UPS/FEDEX stlill an option.

I still welcome more suggestions.
I have a laptop, but when I moved instead of the computer being in the truck, it was next to me in the car. Any way you move you risk losing things, but you have personal things on your computer. If you can, keep the tower with you and of course back everything up and bring that with you personally.

You might call a store and ask if they have boxes with packing which would fit the monitors. Those I'd try fedex or ups, but insure it well. At most you have to replace them, so insure against that chance. And make sure you have the delivery set up where you have to sign for it to be left. That way if they arrive and your not home there isn't a box by your door for the curious to check out.

Old 03-10-2014, 01:49 PM

Thank you. That maybe the course I'm going to take.
I only wish I kept the original packaging... but I don't have room to keep them and did not plan to move out of state (kicks self). But glad I work at a place that has a plethora amount of computer boxes.

Thank you again.

In case anyone is reading this (or future folks). Remember to get ESD foam and/or anti-static bags for the hard drives, graphics card, MoB, and the sorts if you plan to ship it OR carry-on with you on plane/drive cross country. You don't want static to tough those and you want to secure everything as much as you can.

Old 03-10-2014, 02:53 PM

16,715 posts, read 19,402,710 times
Default Get rid of everything

When I had to decide whether or not to get a moving van, I decided to just get rid of everything. I backed up my computer and wiped it. I posted it all on Craigslist and everything that I didn't get rid of by selling I gave away on Freecycle.

It's not worth breaking mirrors or TVs or glass items by moving them, unless it's a family heirloom or something like that. The money you'll save in moving and that you got from selling, you can use towards new stuff once you find a place to live wherever you're going.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > General Moving Issues