Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > General Moving Issues
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-02-2014, 09:36 AM

43 posts, read 94,884 times

Advertisements

Little Rock, AR

I never wanted to live, or visit, anywhere in AR really. My husband worked 6 months, renting a room for just himself, while I tried to convince myself he would get a permanent position somewhere else.

Now, if it wasn't for the vast extreme variables in the weather, I could picture living here for the rest of my life. I ended up loving it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-02-2014, 11:26 AM

2,516 posts, read 5,687,867 times
After planning to get out of Texas for 3 years, I had my heart set on San Francisco 1st, Seattle 2nd and Portland 3rd. SF and SEA were eliminated 1 year out from my move due to cost of living. After a visit to PDX, it looked like PDX was a lock. 3 months before my move, I realized I would not have enough money saved up to weather PDX's crappy job economy. It was just too risky. Despite my desires, I decided it would be wise to look to a 4th option, and just put PDX dreams on hold as I had to get out of Texas now. Staying was not an option, I was done with the state, the weather, etc. For the next couple of months I researched countless cities in the West. I didn't give Salt Lake City so much as a thought till 2 months out when I was out of cities in the West to consider. I committed to the move to SLC just 4 weeks before my move. I had never even been to Utah. It wasn't on the radar and when I did see it on the map, my first thought was, no thanks. Long story short, it's worked out great and I like it a lot. I still plan to go to PDX one day, but I'll be in SLC for awhile.

Old 04-02-2014, 12:30 PM

1,107 posts, read 2,278,940 times
Moved from Twin Cities, MN to Green Bay, WI for a company move. Even my boss discouraged me from taking it (and he was the owner of the company) but he needed someone there and I wanted to show my loyalty to the company. I never thought I would stay there very long, but after 3 years, we couldnt stand it anymore and I convinced my boss to let me open an office in Madison, WI.

Fast forward several years, and I moved again from the Twin Cities to Hudson, WI. Hated it. Unfortunately, when we decided to move back to the Twin Cities, we couldnt find a decent place to rent within our budget. Found us moving to Eagan, MN just so we could live within our means. Now I really really LIKE Eagan and wish I would have moved here long before.

Moral: Dont be afraid to explore new places. Sometimes it works out and sometimes it doesnt, but you always learn something from each move.

Old 04-03-2014, 02:18 PM

24,120 posts, read 32,475,701 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by okaydorothy View Post
We are in Pitsburgh by way of Toronto, Ireland and New York.So far we love it here. its so affordable, kids are happy, we can travel more and see more of this part of the states.

That's how I feel Dorothy! On Long Island it was such a hassle just to get off the place and on to the mainland of the US! We can get to so many places from here with ease!

Old 04-03-2014, 02:28 PM

24,120 posts, read 32,475,701 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by strawberrykiki View Post
Ick Kansas!! How do you like living in Chile? Do you plan to stay long term, or are you there temporarily?

I'm sorry but how can someone reduce an entire state to "ick"?

I've never been to Kansas, but I am sure that every state has interesting historical and cultural features, as well as it's own natural beauty.

Old 04-04-2014, 11:04 AM

2,516 posts, read 5,687,867 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sheena12 View Post
I'm sorry but how can someone reduce an entire state to "ick"?

I've never been to Kansas, but I am sure that every state has interesting historical and cultural features, as well as it's own natural beauty.
I've been all over Kansas and can vouch for strawberrykiki's reduction of Kansas to "ick". It is not beautiful nor interesting. You could also use the following words to describe it: "Bleh" "yuck" and "yack".

Old 04-10-2014, 01:55 PM

3,490 posts, read 6,099,388 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ankhharu View Post
I've been all over Kansas and can vouch for strawberrykiki's reduction of Kansas to "ick". It is not beautiful nor interesting. You could also use the following words to describe it: "Bleh" "yuck" and "yack".
Sadly, this is kind of true. Kansas is the place people in MO drive through to reach CO.

Old 04-10-2014, 01:59 PM

3,490 posts, read 6,099,388 times
When I was young, we moved somewhere knowing almost nothing about it. My wife and I both hated the place. Then we made a list of new options. We did massive amounts of research. We moved to option #1 and absolutely loved it. We are expecting to be here for most of our lives.

Old 04-13-2014, 03:24 PM

10,930 posts, read 11,725,051 times
I've moved to several places i knew nothing about for graduate school and job offers. I enjoyed the Twin Cities, despite its cold weather and the Tri Cities in Eastern Washington, despite its hot weather. These are two of the places i enjoyed the most. I wanted to get back to Colorado and so did my wife and we did that. Boulder was a nice place. I never thought i'd end up in Copenhagen, but I've been here for almost 20 years.

I've learned a few things about moving: It takes a family about 9 months to a year to adjust to a new place, no matter where you go, if you have a positive attitude. Kids are the first to complain about leaving an old place and the first to complain about leaving it. Grumpy people do as poorly in paradise as Bayonne, NJ!

Old 04-15-2014, 08:12 AM

67,650 posts, read 60,914,057 times
I am not from Texas. I am a military brat, and military (ex) wife, and had lived mostly on the east coast and in the deep South, with Germany and Japan thrown in for good measure. We were stationed for a short while at Fort Hood, TX and I HATED it. I really thought I hated Texas.

By a strange twist of fate (which I won't bore you with), I ended up moving to Texas twenty years ago. I cannot tell you how dismayed I was by this. Every day, for two years, I woke up with this pall of gloom around me: "OMG I can't believe I live in Texas. How did my life come to this?" I was really fighting it emotionally.

But Texas grew on me - against all odds and against my will. One day, it just came to me - I realized I liked it here. I liked my town, my home, my friends, and my life. I realized with a start that I liked the people of Texas. I liked the food, the music, the history, the terrain, the economy, and the vibrant mixture of cultures. I liked it all.

Twenty years later - I love this place and I want to live the rest of my life here. And I'll go even further - I am a Texan. No, I'm not a native, but Texans are great about that. All you have to do to be a Texan is move here and embrace this state and BINGO - you're a Texan!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > General Moving Issues