U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > General Moving Issues
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-19-2014, 03:38 PM

559 posts, read 714,917 times

Advertisements

I'm curious if anyone ever ended up in a city that was the last choice on the list? And in a strange twist of irony, ended up liking it?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-19-2014, 06:19 PM

237 posts, read 334,617 times
We ended up moving in 2004 from Pittsburgh to Northern Mississippi. We had lived in Pittsburgh for 14 years and thought we would never leave. My job moved and to save my pension, so did we. Initially, my company wanted us in Jackson, MS but we were able to move south of Memphis, TN.

The second part of your question is did we learn to love it. Well, we have found there is good and usually bad things about everywhere you live. Very few places are perfect! We have made the best of it, and have enjoyed living here. I think life is an adventure and moving is living the adventure. Now that we are retired, we plan to move again to be near Knoxville, TN. We love the mountains and enjoy motorcycle riding.

Our adventure continues......

Old 03-19-2014, 07:29 PM
MJ7

6,221 posts, read 8,598,924 times
I moved around a lot when I was a kid, my folks just took opportunities when they presented themselves. I have followed in their footsteps. I moved from northern Wisconsin at the ripe age of 18, from my first year of college to New Mexico alone. I stayed for a year and ended up moving back home, but at that point in time home was on the beach in FL as my parents had moved. So, I finished my BS and MS degrees in FL, then started applying for work. I ended up in Philly, I had no ambitions of moving to Philly, but the opportunity came and I took it. Unfortunately, it was a FED job and I was furloughed. Right before I had to serve furlough time in Philly I took another job here in St. Louis. Neither of these places were ever on my radar, but I have managed. I initially moved here thinking I would stay for a good 3-5 yrs, but as time goes on that figure is quickly fading. I have been contacted for a few interviews in the coming weeks and I will look to move to a new position with a much larger company with much larger projects, all for the sake of broadening my career. I have no issues with it and have learned a lot on my travels.

Old 03-19-2014, 09:17 PM

14,992 posts, read 21,631,720 times
We moved from New Jersey to PA. I swore I would never move again. Too stressful. We ended up not really liking it, and hubby was offered a promotion to bring us to Texas. I swore, never Texas. Here I am!

Old 03-19-2014, 10:09 PM

18,581 posts, read 23,112,945 times
We moved to Ohio from NYC suburbs via PA. Not many people move TO Ohio. Bad rust belt rep, and all that.

In reality, we found a wonderfully accepting state with a low cost of living, many well educated and wildly friendly people and a veritable plethora of good colleges - bot state and public.

OSU is among the top 15 state universities in the country. Ohio University and Miami University are other well thought of state affiliated colleges.
Private schools include Oberlin, Kenyon, Antioch, Ohio Wesleyan, Wittenburg,Dennison, Otterbien, Capitol and Hiram.

We have an amazing North Coast dotted with lovely beach side getaways. We are diverse and we get along well.

If you like cute towns and antique shops, sophisticated food and summer ethnic food festivals, you can't do better.

Low taxes, but good schools. And a beautiful varied housing stock.

We live in the North East with was settled by people from Connecticut. It has a distinctly New England flair.

Never thought I'd move to Ohio. But I'm glad that I did. The super low cost of living gives us the opportunity of having a warm weather winter retreat.

Old 03-19-2014, 11:06 PM

508 posts, read 549,725 times
Sophisticated food? In OHIO? Not when I lived there. "Sophisticated" meant bad, expensive steaks at places like The Golden Lamb, or those awful Polynesian themed "Chinese" restaurants with names like "The Tiki Lounge"

Old 03-20-2014, 08:44 AM

12,111 posts, read 10,237,116 times
I moved from Southern California to New Mexico. Not quite sure how it happened yet! It's OK here but I do miss home.

Old 03-22-2014, 08:02 AM

4,881 posts, read 4,826,233 times
Sold the house in Northern Indiana to be closer to our children. This was our second chance or a new start going a little further south in the state. So much research, visited, seemed to have everything we wanted ( a simple short list).
Despite all the research and visiting, I want to move but have no idea where. Luckily, we didn't buy a home so we will
take some trips to look at other midwestern cities (love the 4 seasons without the heavy lake effect snow). There
are no opportunities for volunteering or a part time job for retired husband, housing is expensive (want a small home),
cultural activities are aimed towards younger people (20-30) and meeting people.....well unless you are under 40 or grew
up here - it's very hard.

Old 03-22-2014, 06:25 PM

18,581 posts, read 23,112,945 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sojj View Post
Sophisticated food? In OHIO? Not when I lived there. "Sophisticated" meant bad, expensive steaks at places like The Golden Lamb, or those awful Polynesian themed "Chinese" restaurants with names like "The Tiki Lounge"

I haven't eaten a steak since 1988. We have excellent ethnic food in North Eastern Ohio - Syrian, Japanese, Italian, Vegan, Mexican, Vegetarian, Thia, Eastern European, Korean, German, Middle Eastern, Indian and so many others.

Never noticed bad food here. There are many chain restaurants and fast food places. More than there were in the NYC suburbs. More people do seem open to fast food and chain restaurants that they ere back in NY, but the a fore mentioned mom and pop joints do exist.

Old 03-24-2014, 05:33 AM

5,002 posts, read 4,224,785 times
We are in Pitsburgh by way of Toronto, Ireland and New York.So far we love it here. its so affordable, kids are happy, we can travel more and see more of this part of the states.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > General Moving Issues
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or