U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > General Moving Issues
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-19-2007, 08:31 AM

1,926 posts, read 3,225,145 times

Advertisements

Just as some of the posters have said, always be aware of your surroundings. Never present yourself as a victim by appearing like a tourist. I've done many cross-country drives in my life and love the open road, whether I'm driving a 4-wheeler or my big rig.

Obviously when I'm in my 18-wheeler, I have to stay at truck stops. Even in a car, I'll stop at one of the modern and well-lit travel plazas (they used to be called truck stops) and park with the cars and RVs and sleep overnite; I'm can be a cheap skate when it comes to staying at a hotel, unless my company is paying for it. Also, I never stop at a big city anything. Always stay at a place that is well outside of a big city - it's safer that way. My favorite place to stay while on the road is the Flying-J travel plazas. They're all over the interstate highway system. On the road, they are my home away from home.

Enjoy your road trip. There is so much to see in our great country. The size of the US is truly awesome.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-19-2007, 10:32 AM

1,310 posts, read 4,423,360 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HighPlainsDrifter73 View Post
Just as some of the posters have said, always be aware of your surroundings. Never present yourself as a victim by appearing like a tourist. I've done many cross-country drives in my life and love the open road, whether I'm driving a 4-wheeler or my big rig.

Obviously when I'm in my 18-wheeler, I have to stay at truck stops. Even in a car, I'll stop at one of the modern and well-lit travel plazas (they used to be called truck stops) and park with the cars and RVs and sleep overnite; I'm can be a cheap skate when it comes to staying at a hotel, unless my company is paying for it. Also, I never stop at a big city anything. Always stay at a place that is well outside of a big city - it's safer that way. My favorite place to stay while on the road is the Flying-J travel plazas. They're all over the interstate highway system. On the road, they are my home away from home.

Enjoy your road trip. There is so much to see in our great country. The size of the US is truly awesome.

Thanks for the advice. I'm suprised you say it's safer to stay away from the big city stop and keep to the stops outside the city. Any particular reason why? I would think you are a easier target away but I've been wrong before.

Old 12-19-2007, 11:41 AM

4,834 posts, read 4,124,182 times
Thumbs up Pepper spray perhaps?

Quote:
Originally Posted by deegers View Post
those of you veteran movers, are the old days of traveling alone safely really gone? I feel like there are so many more dangers out there for traveling across country moving yourself (young female adult), and if it comes down to it, I may have to. I feel as long as I plan well, it won't be a big deal, since i"ve traveled alone for work related trips. then again, there's so many crazy people out there now you have to look out for. What do you think?
Before you head out contact your nearest State Police Barracks and ask if pepper spray or some equivalent is legal on interstate trips. If they advise it is ok to carry it ask what brand and where it can be purchased...and be certain to buy one with a long term life. Happy traveling!!!

Old 12-19-2007, 02:37 PM

12,062 posts, read 19,220,477 times
Pepper spray is legal in all 50 states. Get a small one that goes on your key chain - you'll probably never use it (I've never used mine) but if you need it you'll be glad you have it.

Old 12-19-2007, 11:00 PM

326 posts, read 880,274 times
If you take a handgun just make sure it's legal where your destination ends. A good friend told me to stay only at motels you could easily see from the interstates and were busy(safety in numbers). Don't forget the Fix-a-Flat.

Old 12-19-2007, 11:33 PM

1,926 posts, read 3,225,145 times
Quote:
Thanks for the advice. I'm suprised you say it's safer to stay away from the big city stop and keep to the stops outside the city. Any particular reason why? I would think you are a easier target away but I've been wrong before.
What I meant was that unless you're familiar with the city you plan on staying in, be careful. Years ago, a friend of mine got off the Dan Ryan expressway in Chicago in a ghetto neighborhood. He was from out of town and didn't know the areas in Chicago to avoid. He later told me that he thought he was going to be killed before he finally got back on the expressway.

Under no conditions park where it is not well lit, no matter where you're at. I frequently sleep in my car and truck when on the road. I always do this in a well lit and heavily traveled area with many other vehicles around and at one of the large and modern travel plazas.

Old 12-23-2007, 03:28 PM

2,746 posts, read 3,797,896 times
Excellent advice!! I'd also ensure your vehicle is in tip top shape, and also have a emergency roadside assistance program...never know when you'll end up with car trouble or a flat tire!! And you don't want to be out in the middle of never never land when that happens! (and I love the 'fix a flat' suggestion!).

When staying alone in a motel/hotel...you can be doubly safe by using a portable door guard (never hurts to play it safe!).

I think making the trip would be a great adventure.

Old 12-24-2007, 04:35 PM

1,310 posts, read 4,423,360 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HighPlainsDrifter73 View Post
What I meant was that unless you're familiar with the city you plan on staying in, be careful. Years ago, a friend of mine got off the Dan Ryan expressway in Chicago in a ghetto neighborhood. He was from out of town and didn't know the areas in Chicago to avoid. He later told me that he thought he was going to be killed before he finally got back on the expressway.

Under no conditions park where it is not well lit, no matter where you're at. I frequently sleep in my car and truck when on the road. I always do this in a well lit and heavily traveled area with many other vehicles around and at one of the large and modern travel plazas.
Ok, that's makes perfect sense then. For some odd reason, that meaning left me when I first read the post. Thanks!

I agree with Katie45, brillant stuff here. I never have heard of fix a flat tools, but makes sense. What's a portable door guard?

I think the trip will be a great adventure and it's high time I took thise chance to do it. I find myself envisioning an enlightening trip...

Old 12-25-2007, 07:59 AM

943 posts, read 2,367,444 times
Quote:
those of you veteran movers, are the old days of traveling alone safely really gone? I feel like there are so many more dangers out there for traveling across country moving yourself (young female adult), and if it comes down to it, I may have to. I feel as long as I plan well, it won't be a big deal, since i"ve traveled alone for work related trips. then again, there's so many crazy people out there now you have to look out for. What do you think?
I've traveled from New Orleans, Lousiana to Williston, North Dakota (NW Corner of the state) by train, with a stop in Chicago for several hours.

I also flew from Minot, North Dakota to Boston, Massachusetts by plane with a stop in Minneapolis.

I was either on the train or plane or in the airport or train station and it was a big city, but Ive never felt unsafe.... just use common sense and be safe... and you'll be fine.

Old 12-26-2007, 05:36 AM

2,746 posts, read 3,797,896 times
Quote:
What's a portable door guard?
A portable door guard is a telescoping metal pole that reaches from the door handle to the floor, on each end is a hard rubber piece....one end fits under the door handle. Once the guard is placed in position, no one is going to enter the room that way! Very safe and secure.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > General Moving Issues