Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > General Moving Issues
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-23-2014, 12:15 PM
MJ7

6,221 posts, read 10,734,569 times

Advertisements

Do not rent a place with a random if that is your only option. If you do not know anyone, yes, rent the cheaper APT. I would suggest saving all that you can, rent a studio that includes utilities from a private renter if you can, they are usually much cheaper. You should be able to land a studio including utilities for 600-650/month. If your bills are 1000 before rent and groceries that is going to be very difficult to live on. What about gas for your car? Cell phone bill? Internet?

There could be other options, such as renting a room from someone with a house. This could be risky as well, you might end up with some weirdo but it would save you a lot of money. I had a friend do this and he told me he paid like 200 bucks a month to rent a room and the owners were really nice; albeit he was hardly there.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-23-2014, 01:12 PM

890 posts, read 1,649,796 times
I may have found a roommate with a place that's 650 all inclusive. So hopefully things work out.

Old 03-23-2014, 03:46 PM

17,155 posts, read 12,960,371 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MJ7 View Post
There could be other options, such as renting a room from someone with a house.
This. You can usually save a lot of $$$ by renting a room because you don't have to kick in on utilites usually plus the rent is less. If you go this route, be sure you check out the place really good and the people you will be living with. If you get any sort of weird vibes about them, don't rent it. Get the rental agreement in writing.

Old 03-23-2014, 07:41 PM

25,573 posts, read 17,286,360 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by futureATLien View Post
I may have found a roommate with a place that's 650 all inclusive. So hopefully things work out.
Great! Glad for you.
But going back to your income and bills, staying at home and paying rent to your parents may be something you may want to consider. You'll want to get those bills paid off as quickly as possible.

Any chance of a sit-down with the parents and negotiating an agreement of sorts now that you are employed?

Old 03-24-2014, 04:43 AM

890 posts, read 1,649,796 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Listener2307 View Post
Great! Glad for you.
But going back to your income and bills, staying at home and paying rent to your parents may be something you may want to consider. You'll want to get those bills paid off as quickly as possible.

Any chance of a sit-down with the parents and negotiating an agreement of sorts now that you are employed?
I'm getting kicked out. I have to leave. I live with an aunt. It's a lower cost of living area 12 hours from where I grew up. So if I were move with my parents, I'd pay more in bills and I'd have to find a new job.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > General Moving Issues