Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > General Moving Issues
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Moving items vs selling them off and buying new ones
Move 21 25.00%
Sell 44 52.38%
Don't know 19 22.62%
Voters: 84. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-12-2014, 01:56 AM

3,199 posts, read 7,827,529 times

Advertisements

I have moved to a new state where I did not bring any furniture so when I got there I just bought inexpensive items. I do agree with others that when you sell on craigslist regardless of how nice or new it is you will not get very much.
If you are renting in the new place often they come with washer/dryer or you can even rent them.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-12-2014, 01:53 PM
MJ7 MJ7 started this thread

6,221 posts, read 10,735,700 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaniellaG View Post
I have moved to a new state where I did not bring any furniture so when I got there I just bought inexpensive items. I do agree with others that when you sell on craigslist regardless of how nice or new it is you will not get very much.
If you are renting in the new place often they come with washer/dryer or you can even rent them.
Good point. I just finished a day of apartment research and there is a short list I have (based on location, availability, rent prices, etc) and some have washers/dryers in them already and come with the rent. Everything else I have I can just get new ones later, not a big deal.

Old 04-13-2014, 02:09 AM

3,199 posts, read 7,827,529 times
If you are going to rent though it is more of a hassle even if they don't have a washer dryer inside usually the complex has one. One community I lived in CA they did not come but you could rent them per month as another option. What state are you possibly moving to?
Also I know you said you only have a 2 seat car and obviously you cant bring a couch but you would be amazed at how much you can fit in a car. You just have to situate things in a certain way.

Old 04-13-2014, 07:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaniellaG View Post
If you are going to rent though it is more of a hassle even if they don't have a washer dryer inside usually the complex has one. One community I lived in CA they did not come but you could rent them per month as another option. What state are you possibly moving to?
Also I know you said you only have a 2 seat car and obviously you cant bring a couch but you would be amazed at how much you can fit in a car. You just have to situate things in a certain way.
I'm moving to Houston from St. Louis in a 2 seat sports car, lol. I actually look forward to a reboot. I have some items I would like to pickup new, so replacing these things would be a plus. There are only a select few items that I wish to take with me at this time. Guitar, clothes, and a few electronic items and kitchen items (I think I'll be able to squeeze these in).

I spoke with my new employer and I still need to clear some things up about the relo money. My new boss essentially told me to use up the relo allowance and submit an expense report for a reimbursement. However, I did discuss with him that I may be planning to sell everything. In the event that I sell things off and purchase new items I need to make it clear that is part of my relocation funds. I will also be using some of the allowance to pay deposit and first months rent.

Old 04-13-2014, 12:08 PM

21,695 posts, read 28,449,641 times
I will be facing that dilemma shortly with a long distance move. I don't drive so I would have to hire movers and was thinking of hiring ABF movers if I choose that route. But if I sell my furniture and do not hire movers, how would I move things like things I would definitely need to keep like clothes and some small items I that have sentimental value?

Old 04-13-2014, 01:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Minervah View Post
I will be facing that dilemma shortly with a long distance move. I don't drive so I would have to hire movers and was thinking of hiring ABF movers if I choose that route. But if I sell my furniture and do not hire movers, how would I move things like things I would definitely need to keep like clothes and some small items I that have sentimental value?
You could pack them and ship them via UPS or USPS or Fedex, I believe UPS and Fedex have pickup and drop off services if you can't drive to one of their locations.

Old 04-13-2014, 01:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MJ7 View Post
You could pack them and ship them via UPS or USPS or Fedex, I believe UPS and Fedex have pickup and drop off services if you can't drive to one of their locations.
That would be a good option. Somehow those didn't come to mind. I'll look into it. Thanks!

I guess the big question is, what is going to cost more in the long run, paying to move what I have or not paying for moving it and buying new stuff when I move. I don't even think about making any money selling my stuff. Used furniture is worth a fraction of what you pay for it.

My furniture is in good shape but I know from experience, because I live in such a transient city, people can hardly even give furniture away. They often leave couches out on the corner anyone interested to come and pick up. I might make a few bucks trying to sell stuff, but in the end I would probably just give it to charity or pay someone to haul it away.

Old 04-13-2014, 02:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Minervah View Post
That would be a good option. Somehow those didn't come to mind. I'll look into it. Thanks!

I guess the big question is, what is going to cost more in the long run, paying to move what I have or not paying for moving it and buying new stuff when I move. I don't even think about making any money selling my stuff. Used furniture is worth a fraction of what you pay for it.

My furniture is in good shape but I know from experience, because I live in such a transient city, people can hardly even give furniture away. They often leave couches out on the corner anyone interested to come and pick up. I might make a few bucks trying to sell stuff, but in the end I would probably just give it to charity or pay someone to haul it away.
Craigslist it, if it doesn't sell you can always post it for free on craigslist, so someone will come take it off your hands at least. It depends on the stuff you have. Just pick up new stuff off craigslist on the cheap when you get there.

Old 04-13-2014, 03:57 PM

5,103 posts, read 8,609,827 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ellemint View Post
It's kind of hard to throw away a life-time of belongings. So I guess it depends on your age too.
I'm in my mid-50s and had stuff from both the estates of my parents.

I had helped several seniors downsize from houses into two-bedroom senior living apartments (not much space). There were some tears when things like grand pianos and such were sold and donated.

It was hard to see that! But it got me thinking very hard about the value of "stuff" and how it was controlling my life. In the end, I took a lot of photos, and then got rid of things I'd had for years.

I thought that it was going to be hard and that I would be really miserable, but when it came down to it, I found that little of it was really special. Though a lot of journaling and hand-wringing, plus wearing out the ears of friends, I came to the conclusion that there were only a few things that I own that would cause daily misery if I sold them, and that the rest could be replaced with something similar. Or not replaced at all because I didn't need all that stuff!

This was a three-year process! I didn't just wake up and feel "okay" with moving everything out, but by the time my house was on the market, I was ready to part with things. I won't lie -- there were a few tears -- but I stayed focused on my new life and the limits I would set so that I didn't stuff my new place too full of "things" instead of "experiences."

And, yes, this process is probably easier to do when one is younger, but I had a 20-something who was shaking her head over how I could sell off the remainder of my mother's clothes . . . I couldn't get her to understand that nowhere was it written that I must keep my dead mom's things "forever," especially since neither I nor any other relatives were her size.

Maybe that helps . . . "Things" are not people or experiences. That has been the main lesson I learned through all this.

Old 04-13-2014, 05:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MJ7 View Post
Craigslist it, if it doesn't sell you can always post it for free on craigslist, so someone will come take it off your hands at least. It depends on the stuff you have. Just pick up new stuff off craigslist on the cheap when you get there.
Selling stuff or giving away stuff on Craigslist could work. Although my neighbors who moved last year had a somewhat difficult time getting people to come over and take some things even for free. There were so many other freebies listed and often people are a bit wary of items like sofas and beds and things of that nature.

Buying furniture on Craigslist would be difficult for me in the new location since I would more than likely be buying things from different sellers at different times. That means getting there to look at items and then figuring out how to get them home. I wouldn't have a way to pick the new stuff up so unless the sellers could deliver it to me which I don't think usually happens, I would have to hire someone to do that. That's where just moving my stuff to the new city goes on the plus side.

The thing is, I have downsized through the years to the point where I don't have a lot to move so I don't want to hire a large moving company that will tack parts of my belongings onto a giant truck. That's why when I heard about ABF I thought it was a good idea. But then again, with the suggestion of using UPS or one of those other places to move clothes and some valuables I don't want to part with, getting rid of the furniture in whatever way I could and replacing it with new things might work too. I would want to deal with either used furniture stores of the less expensive lower end ones to replace what I got rid of though. I don't think Craigslist would work for me.

Last edited by Minervah; 04-13-2014 at 05:15 PM.. Reason: added thought
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > General Moving Issues