U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > General Moving Issues
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
View Poll Results: Moving items vs selling them off and buying new ones
Move 21 25.00%
Sell 44 52.38%
Don't know 19 22.62%
Voters: 84. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 04-13-2014, 05:22 PM
MJ7 MJ7 started this thread
 
6,221 posts, read 8,648,695 times
Reputation: 6514

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Minervah View Post
Selling stuff or giving away stuff on Craigslist could work. Although my neighbors who moved last year had a somewhat difficult time getting people to come over and take some things even for free. There were so many other freebies listed and often people are a bit wary of items like sofas and beds and things of that nature.

Buying furniture on Craigslist would be difficult for me in the new location since I would more than likely be buying things from different sellers at different times. That means getting there to look at items and then figuring out how to get them home. I wouldn't have a way to pick the new stuff up so unless the sellers could deliver it to me which I don't think usually happens, I would have to hire someone to do that. That's where just moving my stuff to the new city goes on the plus side.

The thing is, I have downsized through the years to the point where I don't have a lot to move so I don't want to hire a large moving company that will tack parts of my belongings onto a giant truck. That's why when I heard about ABF I thought it was a good idea. But then again, with the suggestion of using UPS or one of those other places to move clothes and some valuables I don't want to part with, getting rid of the furniture in whatever way I could and replacing it with new things might work too. I would want to deal with either used furniture stores of the less expensive lower end ones to replace what I got rid of though. I don't think Craigslist would work for me.
ABF isn't a bad deal (it will cost you around 2k - depending on where you're going), but the bigger question is...are your items you already paid money for worth another 2k? Almost in every conceivable way they are not. You can sell them, save the 2k and pick up brand new items with the cash saved. If you want to buy used stuff off craigslist the best way to do so (as in a sofa or furniture) is you can hire a mover to move it for you. I did this with a sofa that was 30 miles from me, I just paid 100$ for the movers to go pick it up and bring it into my apt.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 04-13-2014, 06:24 PM
 
Location: Lakewood OH
21,697 posts, read 23,681,631 times
Reputation: 35449
Quote:
Originally Posted by MJ7 View Post
ABF isn't a bad deal (it will cost you around 2k - depending on where you're going), but the bigger question is...are your items you already paid money for worth another 2k? Almost in every conceivable way they are not. You can sell them, save the 2k and pick up brand new items with the cash saved. If you want to buy used stuff off craigslist the best way to do so (as in a sofa or furniture) is you can hire a mover to move it for you. I did this with a sofa that was 30 miles from me, I just paid 100$ for the movers to go pick it up and bring it into my apt.
All new furniture would cost way more than 2k though. Sofas cost almost that and then there would be bedroom furniture, kitchen furniture and some miscellaneous pieces.

If you throw in my TV and computer it would cost well over 2k. So if ABF would cost me that much it would be worth it to ship my furniture along with those items. My furniture is fairly new but I know I wouldn't get anything near what I put into it.

Using Craigslist a good idea I agree but unless I could buy everything from one seller, I would probably be buying various items from different people which would mean hiring movers each time I needed to transport a purchase to my apartment. If, as in your situation, it cost $100 each time to hire someone to move each piece of furniture to my place, that would add up.

Well, you have given me a lot to think about though. I might go the selling route but if I do, buying everything all in one or two places in my new city would be the better option. I have, in the past, bought an entire apartment's worth of furniture from one or two used furniture stores who delivered at no charge. I think that works well for me.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-13-2014, 07:28 PM
MJ7 MJ7 started this thread
 
6,221 posts, read 8,648,695 times
Reputation: 6514
Quote:
Originally Posted by Minervah View Post
All new furniture would cost way more than 2k though. Sofas cost almost that and then there would be bedroom furniture, kitchen furniture and some miscellaneous pieces.

If you throw in my TV and computer it would cost well over 2k. So if ABF would cost me that much it would be worth it to ship my furniture along with those items. My furniture is fairly new but I know I wouldn't get anything near what I put into it.

Using Craigslist a good idea I agree but unless I could buy everything from one seller, I would probably be buying various items from different people which would mean hiring movers each time I needed to transport a purchase to my apartment. If, as in your situation, it cost $100 each time to hire someone to move each piece of furniture to my place, that would add up.

Well, you have given me a lot to think about though. I might go the selling route but if I do, buying everything all in one or two places in my new city would be the better option. I have, in the past, bought an entire apartment's worth of furniture from one or two used furniture stores who delivered at no charge. I think that works well for me.
Yup, I think it all depends on your living situation, what you have and what you don't have. If I do a quick tally of the stuff I have (what it cost me) vs the ABF it comes out to:

- ABF = 2k to move
- items = 2.4k
- I can probably sell some stuff for around 1.4k or so, so I'm looking at 1k loss on items vs 2k to move those items. I can then use the 2k relo money plus the cash from my sales (roughly 1.4k) to purchase new items. 3.4k is more than I have now.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-13-2014, 08:11 PM
 
Location: Lakewood OH
21,697 posts, read 23,681,631 times
Reputation: 35449
Quote:
Originally Posted by MJ7 View Post
Yup, I think it all depends on your living situation, what you have and what you don't have. If I do a quick tally of the stuff I have (what it cost me) vs the ABF it comes out to:

- ABF = 2k to move
- items = 2.4k
- I can probably sell some stuff for around 1.4k or so, so I'm looking at 1k loss on items vs 2k to move those items. I can then use the 2k relo money plus the cash from my sales (roughly 1.4k) to purchase new items. 3.4k is more than I have now.
I want to thank you for your advice. I am going to do some inventory and see what I come up with. It's entirely true that it does depend upon your living situation and then whatever other factors are involved. It's not always the same for everyone but the nice thing about forums like these is that people can come here and get different perspectives on the subject.

Next week I am going to fly to my new city to do some apartment hunting and once I see what I come up with and even whether or not what I have will even fit in, I'll return and make my decision. You have been very helpful.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-13-2014, 08:16 PM
MJ7 MJ7 started this thread
 
6,221 posts, read 8,648,695 times
Reputation: 6514
Quote:
Originally Posted by Minervah View Post
I want to thank you for your advice. I am going to do some inventory and see what I come up with. It's entirely true that it does depend upon your living situation and then whatever other factors are involved. It's not always the same for everyone but the nice thing about forums like these is that people can come here and get different perspectives on the subject.

Next week I am going to fly to my new city to do some apartment hunting and once I see what I come up with and even whether or not what I have will even fit in, I'll return and make my decision. You have been very helpful.
You're welcome. Where are you moving? I'm moving to Houston from St. Louis, can't wait.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-13-2014, 08:59 PM
 
Location: Lakewood OH
21,697 posts, read 23,681,631 times
Reputation: 35449
Quote:
Originally Posted by MJ7 View Post
You're welcome. Where are you moving? I'm moving to Houston from St. Louis, can't wait.
A very long way from Portland OR to Cleveland OH. I'll be flying to Cleveland this coming Wednesday to look at apartments. I have a friend there who will be taking me to a few places she thinks will work. This is going to be a very good change for me in many ways.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-13-2014, 09:47 PM
 
Location: In the Pearl of the Purchase, Ky
7,430 posts, read 12,957,081 times
Reputation: 31038
You mentioned donating clothing and I guess sheets, blankets, etc. I offered a little advice last week to somebody on here moving like you. Try Space Bags. We bought different sizes plus the cube and it's amazing how much you can pack in those things. We slipped them between boxes for the trip. We still have some things still packed (bedspreads, winter jackets, etc.) 2 years after we moved
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-14-2014, 01:33 AM
 
Location: VT; previously MD & NJ
2,207 posts, read 1,351,512 times
Reputation: 6344
I am seeing a pattern here.

Most people will at least clean out, donate and sell excess items that they no longer need before they move.

People who have furnished their homes from CraigsList, Walmart, and/or garage sales seem to be willing to dump most of it and buy new or used at their destination. Makes sense if the value of your possessions is less than the cost of moving it and you don't feel attached to your items.

Then there are people who over the years have purchased quality bedroom sets, dining room sets, living room furniture etc. They may have inherited family keepsakes as well. These people have fully furnished homes that are worth a lot more than the cost of moving them, and which could not be replaced with like-quality from CraigsList.

I fall into this last category. Over the course of my life, I have worked hard to be able to buy quality furniture, cookware, dinnerware, etc that I enjoy living with and using every day. I have gotten rid of the excess but the good stuff is coming with me when I move.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-14-2014, 05:46 AM
MJ7 MJ7 started this thread
 
6,221 posts, read 8,648,695 times
Reputation: 6514
Quote:
Originally Posted by ansible90 View Post
I am seeing a pattern here.

Most people will at least clean out, donate and sell excess items that they no longer need before they move.

People who have furnished their homes from CraigsList, Walmart, and/or garage sales seem to be willing to dump most of it and buy new or used at their destination. Makes sense if the value of your possessions is less than the cost of moving it and you don't feel attached to your items.

Then there are people who over the years have purchased quality bedroom sets, dining room sets, living room furniture etc. They may have inherited family keepsakes as well. These people have fully furnished homes that are worth a lot more than the cost of moving them, and which could not be replaced with like-quality from CraigsList.

I fall into this last category. Over the course of my life, I have worked hard to be able to buy quality furniture, cookware, dinnerware, etc that I enjoy living with and using every day. I have gotten rid of the excess but the good stuff is coming with me when I move.
I see that as being subjective though, just because the price tag isn't huge (for things off craigslist) doesn't mean they aren't of good quality. The sofa I'm sitting on right now is a 2k sofa, I purchased it for 500 bucks. So I would say people do sell quality items on craigslist (because someone sold me this sofa). I think it comes down to more sentimental value and overpriced items. If you paid retail, then yes by all means move it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-14-2014, 02:25 PM
 
Location: VT; previously MD & NJ
2,207 posts, read 1,351,512 times
Reputation: 6344
Quote:
Originally Posted by MJ7 View Post
I see that as being subjective though, just because the price tag isn't huge (for things off craigslist) doesn't mean they aren't of good quality. The sofa I'm sitting on right now is a 2k sofa, I purchased it for 500 bucks. So I would say people do sell quality items on craigslist (because someone sold me this sofa). I think it comes down to more sentimental value and overpriced items. If you paid retail, then yes by all means move it.
I'd say you got a lucky find. Much of what you see on Craigslist is not so nice.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > General Moving Issues
Similar Threads
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top