U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > General Moving Issues
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Moving items vs selling them off and buying new ones
Move 21 25.00%
Sell 44 52.38%
Don't know 19 22.62%
Voters: 84. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-15-2014, 02:01 AM

3,048 posts, read 6,585,084 times

Advertisements

I have given away or sold furniture for so cheap just so I did not have to hire movers. I have not had an issue. Another option is there are charities that will pick up furniture for free.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-15-2014, 06:09 PM

312 posts, read 619,782 times
For me, given the cost of new furniture, I factored in the fact that anything I sell, I will be buying used on the other end. Since I am on my own (female), and don't have a truck, that meant renting or borrowing a truck for each thing I found, begging or paying someone to go get it and deliver it, figuring out how to get it into the house with no help, or once again, having to get or hire someone to move the furniture into the house. Free or used furniture is not so cheap anymore when you factor these things in. Forget it. I just packed it and shipped it and had it all delivered!

Last edited by westwind15; 04-15-2014 at 06:38 PM..

Old 04-18-2014, 10:19 AM
MJ7 MJ7 started this thread

6,221 posts, read 8,646,771 times
Update, so I will be able to take my new washer/dryer back to the store for a 15% restocking fee (I'll lose a little but no biggy). I have a few customers for my bar stools and my chair/ottoman. Someone is coming to look at the apartment to sublease it. All I have left to get rid of is my sofa.

Old 04-18-2014, 02:24 PM

5,055 posts, read 6,025,291 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MJ7 View Post
All I have left to get rid of is my sofa.
That's awesome! Great progress.

Old 04-18-2014, 03:32 PM

20 posts, read 128,868 times
Check with the company your plan for the relo money. In our case, we planned to use for the deposit and first month rent for the new place and moving cost. It could only be used for moving cost with receipts, not deposit or rent money, so we couldn't use all of the money that was available to us.

Old 04-18-2014, 04:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Petronila View Post
Check with the company your plan for the relo money. In our case, we planned to use for the deposit and first month rent for the new place and moving cost. It could only be used for moving cost with receipts, not deposit or rent money, so we couldn't use all of the money that was available to us.
Excellent point. I will send an email to my new employer next week pinpointing this. I have already told them I plan on selling my items and buying new items when I arrive. I will make sure I can use the relo money for first months rent, deposit, and whatever is left over for the purchase of new items. The gas and hotel and food it will be around 300$ total for my move, so I would like the rest.

Old 04-22-2014, 10:46 AM

Update:

Sold my chair and ottoman and just today subleased my apartment. I'm just going to leave the sofa for the sublease, all I really need to get rid of is a bed and a few bar stools and it's a wrap.

I have a few items to donate and get rid of and then all will be set.

Old 04-28-2014, 06:10 AM

200 posts, read 333,549 times
We moved across country in 2006 and actually BOUGHT additional items and moved them. Furniture was MUCH more expensive in Florida than where we were in California. Even with the moving costs we saved a bundle and got what we wanted.

The new house was twice as large as what we previously had so we had quite a few rooms to furnish from scratch. The last month we were in California, the garage was filled with the new items we were going to be moving. All in all, it filled half of a moving truck. A fair number of items were left behind to stage the house we were selling and when the house finally sold that furniture was put on another moving truck..

Old 04-28-2014, 01:42 PM

101 posts, read 147,602 times
When we relocated in 2010, we brought most of our furniture and a washer/dryer. Ended up taking us two moving trucks (one large, one smaller) and two trips to get everything here. Stupid property management company assured us the rental house did not have a washer/dryer, so we brought ours. House did have a washer & dryer, so we had to put ours in storage for a year.

Then we moved again a year later, that time to a house we bought across town, and moved all our stuff plus got everything out of storage. We were surprised how little we missed the stuff that we didn't have for that one year, and we realized we were sick of moving this furniture that we had grown tired of by now.

This time, we're parting with most of the furniture. Sold a lot on Craigslist and gave more away so we could stage our house. I'm enjoying the minimalism. We still have a sofa, loveseat, dining room table and chairs, wardrobe and one bedroom set we're going to sell before moving. I'll also get rid of all three mattress sets. We'll replace it all when we get to our new city, probably from Craigslist at first (except mattresses) and then upgrade things to nice and new a little at a time.

We're keeping the items that are sentimental--hope chest that grandpa made, sewing machine table that was my great aunt's, chifferobe (sp?) of my grandparents--plus a few pieces we really like, end tables, shelves and one bedroom set. No way in heck are we taking a washer and dryer this time; it stays with house or will be sold on Craigslist.

Old 04-28-2014, 02:13 PM

8,612 posts, read 8,307,947 times
I'm selling stuff like mad on ebay, started over a year ago and I will probably need another year to finish. We have stuff in the attic still packed from our last move, and that was 21 years ago
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > General Moving Issues