U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > General Moving Issues
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Moving items vs selling them off and buying new ones
Move 21 25.00%
Sell 44 52.38%
Don't know 19 22.62%
Voters: 84. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-28-2014, 03:07 PM

878 posts, read 849,554 times

Advertisements

@CCc girl: It might be worthwhile to see whether you can find what's called an eBay Trading Assistant (they handle all of the listings, photo taking, dealing with sellers, shipping, etc) to list everything-- they do take a cut but it might be worthwhile to not deal with the hassle of selling yourself.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-29-2014, 12:03 PM

8,612 posts, read 8,232,110 times
Thanks, Elly, but I love selling on the bay, it's not a hassle. The big stuff I will Craigslist or garage sale or donate, although I have shipped heavy freight before.

Good tip for those not ebay savvy, though!

Old 04-29-2014, 12:34 PM

9,150 posts, read 16,509,021 times
I just leave it all behind and use the stuff at the next vacant house I squat in.

Old 05-05-2014, 12:55 PM

8,612 posts, read 8,232,110 times
Saw an old friend Friday, said she would take a china hutch

Old 05-07-2014, 03:05 PM

673 posts, read 595,639 times
Those are optimistic sell prices. I've never been able to sell anything on Craigslist for even close to its value because people want used stuff cheap, cheap, cheap, regardless of the high quality and good condition.

Old 05-07-2014, 03:07 PM

Dealing with moving companies is so stressful, sometimes I think your strategy is the best if only to preserve physical and mental health!

Old 05-07-2014, 03:16 PM

Same here. It made me want to cry when I thought of the money I'd spent on furniture I loved, and then when it didn't work in the new home far from where we started, selling it for almost nothing and watching those dollars I'd spent on that beautiful furniture drive away in the back of trucks.

I swore I'd never own anything again that I wasn't willing to leave behind. Yet, here I am again, with less, but still with things I hunted for and specifically chose because I love them (who doesn't want to have a nice home with things we like to look at and use?), facing the stress and expense of moving them, or selling them for next to nothing before I go.

Moving every few years is a real drag.

Old 05-07-2014, 03:21 PM

Default But there is the risk of damage

Quote:
Originally Posted by BuckeyeAtHeart View Post
We have been rather selective in what we get rid of. I also consider the time and effort spent locating and purchasing the replacement furniture and appliances. I would much rather just settle in with my old stuff -- unpack and put away and you are done. We definitely purge the clothing and soft articles -- blankets, sheets, towels, etc. -- because we always seem to have more than we actually need (though those items can also double as moving blankets).
During my last move, my appliances (washer, dryer, and high end fridge) were damaged; all of them to one degree or another. I moved them because they were all brand new. I should have just sold them before I moved.

Old 05-07-2014, 03:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mjd07 View Post
I sold my beautiful 10 seat dining set for our move from Chicago to NC. I have regretted it every day since then and wish I could go back in time and not do it. What's done is done, though. So, my advice is if it's something you absolutely LOVE and it won't cost something outrageous to move (ie. grand piano) then just take it. If you have a "take it or leave it" feeling, you can probably sell it. It's really hard to know how things will fit in the new setup so there are things you may end up selling at the end anyway. Just don't make the mistake I did and part with something for which you have a strong fondness.
Same here. I sold two dining sets I loved, and regretted it each time. Now I have a table I don't care about, but I do want my chairs!

I just try to remind myself that there is cool stuff everywhere so I can love the next one.

That doesn't mean I don't regret some of the things I got rid of though.

Old 05-07-2014, 03:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MJ7 View Post
but the bigger question is...are your items you already paid money for worth another 2k? Almost in every conceivable way they are not.
That tends to be truer for younger people than it is for older people. Unlike most 20-somethings, by the time a person is hitting middle-age, or even into their 30s, they often have more valuable belongings, and family heirlooms too.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > General Moving Issues