Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > General Moving Issues
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Moving items vs selling them off and buying new ones
Move 21 25.00%
Sell 44 52.38%
Don't know 19 22.62%
Voters: 84. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-07-2014, 03:52 PM

720 posts, read 806,174 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by kygman View Post
You mentioned donating clothing and I guess sheets, blankets, etc. I offered a little advice last week to somebody on here moving like you. Try Space Bags. We bought different sizes plus the cube and it's amazing how much you can pack in those things. We slipped them between boxes for the trip. We still have some things still packed (bedspreads, winter jackets, etc.) 2 years after we moved
I forgot about Space Bags! I am moving from an Arctic climate to a CA desert climate but do not want to get rid of all of our beautiful heavy winter clothing because it was expensive to buy, and we've moved from climate to an opposite climate multiple times now and each time I've had to buy all new clothes. For all I know, I'll end up needing them again in a year or two! Yet, we are downsizing so I was wondering how I could store all those bulky arctic clothes and coats. Space Bags will help a lot. Although what to do with all those cool boots? (<:

The only thing about Space Bags I've learned, though (after using them in the past), is that really they are only good for one time use. Once opened, they never seem to recover and work like they did the first time.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-07-2014, 04:09 PM

720 posts, read 806,174 times
I'm going through this process now. It is agonizing. I'm sick of being burdened with too much "stuff," but it is still agonizing. People in their 50s usually are more attached to their belongings for a variety of reasons. Most especially though, by their 50s, people usually have belongings of higher quality that they specifically chose to invest in, inherited belongings that have sentimental value and will be passed on to children, and/or are antiques.

Old 05-08-2014, 08:11 AM

11 posts, read 27,772 times
Selling is much better option. It means that costs of removal company are equal zero. Then there is no risk of damage. Then a pleasure of new shopping !

Old 05-08-2014, 10:03 AM

8,612 posts, read 10,762,267 times
We are finally taking a hard look at what's worth taking or not. DH wants to take it all but most of it was found or free and won't 'go' in the new place so why bother?

The dining room chairs are trashed (cats) so whoever wants it can have it, I enjoyed it for fifteen years.

Plus the area we are going to is very affluent with tons of resale stores, so it will be fun redecorating.

Old 05-08-2014, 06:41 PM
MJ7 MJ7 started this thread

6,221 posts, read 10,734,569 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CCc girl View Post
We are finally taking a hard look at what's worth taking or not. DH wants to take it all but most of it was found or free and won't 'go' in the new place so why bother?

The dining room chairs are trashed (cats) so whoever wants it can have it, I enjoyed it for fifteen years.

Plus the area we are going to is very affluent with tons of resale stores, so it will be fun redecorating.
Everyone should watch the George Carlin standup on 'stuff', although extremely hilarious it is very true. I'm not going to classify myself as a minimalist (at least not anymore), but I prefer the simple life. I have what I need and need what I have. If I don't use something in a 6 month time frame I generally get rid of it. I have few items, things that I enjoy doing and I make it a point to have nice items (few but nice).

Update on my move. I moved to Houston in my 2 seat car, and everything went well. After I arrived I rented a condo and just picked up a zero gravity chair (not very expensive, under 80 bucks) and it's extremely comfy. I picked up a cheap memory foam queen mattress from ikea, it does the trick for now. I other than those two items all I have are some custom make tables (one side table and a badass coffee table). I will be picking up a sactional from love sac after I save up, they are pricey but it will act as not only my bed but my general seating area. This weekend I will be constructing a screen for my projector. Other than those things, that will do me.

Old 05-14-2014, 09:11 AM

MJ7 I do hope you settle in. Lucky to be bare bones in your move, we have tons of stuff

Old 05-25-2014, 07:00 PM

106 posts, read 251,364 times
Consider how well your furnishings will work in your new location, esp if the home styles are very different, such as traditional colonial vs. open floor plan modernish homes. Also the age and condition of what you currently have.

We're planning a move and will sell most of our stuff. Our dining room furniture which was expensive isn't really our taste any more and won't fit in a southwestern style home. Our family room furniture is worn and our bedroom furniture was given to us 20 years ago and was worn when we got it. Then we'll consider the age of our appliances vs. their useful life.

We will take my sewing cabinet, sewing machines, bookcases, mattresses and adjustable bed frames, coffee table and end table just because we love then (they were cheap) and then kitchen stuff, tools, meaningful books, etc. We're even thinking of selling our TVs because the prices have come down so much on the new ones. I'll keep all of my other electronics.

Old 05-26-2014, 03:31 PM

Quote:
MJ7 I do hope you settle in. Lucky to be bare bones in your move, we have tons of stuff
I'm doing okay, something drastic occurred however, not with the move though. I still live very very minimalist right now, I just picked up a chair and a bed from ikea, that's pretty much all I need for the time being. I will expand and get some other things in a bit. I live in a good location, close to pretty much everything.

Old 06-10-2014, 02:53 PM

MJ I hope everything is okay. Praying.

Old 06-10-2014, 04:06 PM

Quote:
MJ I hope everything is okay. Praying.
Thanks, everything is A-okay. I will be starting a new gig soon (I had to give a rather lengthy background/drug test), but I should be good to go soon. I moved here, worked a total of 9 days and then boom, no more work and no more job. It was rather stressful going about trying to pick up work rather quickly, but a few days after my last (3 total business days) I had an interview lined up. I went to the interview met the manager and after all was said and done offered the position. Now I have a little mini-vacation until I setup my start date. The pros, this company is much better than the one I was at, it is a slight career change with more pay and way WAY more potential; I guess in this instance you can say that things were meant to work out this way for the better.

Cheers

Last edited by MJ7; 06-10-2014 at 04:24 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > General Moving Issues