Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > General Moving Issues
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Moving items vs selling them off and buying new ones
Move 21 25.00%
Sell 44 52.38%
Don't know 19 22.62%
Voters: 84. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-01-2014, 08:08 PM

978 posts, read 2,053,979 times

Advertisements

The problem with selling things is that you never get what you want. A $1000 washer and dryer set, you'd be lucky to get $300 for on Craigslist. I practically had to give away my solid wood furniture the last time I moved.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-02-2014, 03:01 PM

34,090 posts, read 82,964,986 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by attrapereves View Post
The problem with selling things is that you never get what you want.
A $1000 washer and dryer set, you'd be lucky to get $300 for on Craigslist.
but when you get to the next place...
you get to be the one paying $300 for that $1000 washer and dryer set

Old 04-02-2014, 04:36 PM

389 posts, read 916,740 times
We have been rather selective in what we get rid of. I also consider the time and effort spent locating and purchasing the replacement furniture and appliances. I would much rather just settle in with my old stuff -- unpack and put away and you are done. We definitely purge the clothing and soft articles -- blankets, sheets, towels, etc. -- because we always seem to have more than we actually need (though those items can also double as moving blankets).

Old 04-03-2014, 01:32 PM

10,553 posts, read 9,649,020 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrRational View Post
but when you get to the next place...
you get to be the one paying $300 for that $1000 washer and dryer set
But it never seems to work out that way. Where I moved from was a low cost of living area, people were willing to pay very little for my stuff. I moved to a high cost of living area, where everyone wants nearly full retail prices for their used stuff.

Also, I still don't see how a single person without a truck can solve the problem of who is going to haul all their new purchases to their home.

Old 04-03-2014, 03:51 PM

34,090 posts, read 82,964,986 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ellemint View Post
But it never seems to work out that way.
c'est la vie

Old 04-03-2014, 04:39 PM

1,764 posts, read 2,865,661 times
I sold my beautiful 10 seat dining set for our move from Chicago to NC. I have regretted it every day since then and wish I could go back in time and not do it. What's done is done, though. So, my advice is if it's something you absolutely LOVE and it won't cost something outrageous to move (ie. grand piano) then just take it. If you have a "take it or leave it" feeling, you can probably sell it. It's really hard to know how things will fit in the new setup so there are things you may end up selling at the end anyway. Just don't make the mistake I did and part with something for which you have a strong fondness.

Old 04-03-2014, 05:08 PM

836 posts, read 1,662,062 times
Depends on cost of moving them.

I like to ditch all I can before each move (which are frequent); I just donate them and give to neighbors- not worth the flakeslisters.
As others have said, you'll likely not get near as much as you think for selling items.

Notice the cost for a larger Uhaul truck is usually negligible.

If you have valuable items I think best bet is to move them.

Old 04-11-2014, 05:42 PM
MJ7 MJ7 started this thread

6,221 posts, read 10,734,569 times
I've decided to sell off my items and just get new ones when I arrive. I live a simplistic lifestyle (minimalism) where all I need are the basics: sofa, ottoman, coffee table, bed, washer/dryer. Those things can be had off craigslist and I will be selling my stuff via craigslist. Plus side, my apartment manager said I can sublet my place, so I can avoid cancel fees (which would be around 2k).

Old 04-11-2014, 07:42 PM

5,103 posts, read 8,608,438 times
Thanks for updating and good luck with your move!

I, too, downsized a lot of stuff so I could use two Relocubes. It has now been 8 months. There were several books and a pan that I shouldn't have let go, but replacing them was easy and cost less than $30.

I *did not* replace a lot of the furniture and stuff that I sold. I had too much! Over time, I picked up several pieces at garage sales that were better than I sold, so it has worked out just fine.

Ditto on what the poster said earlier about moving things that mean something. I have a small maple chest of drawers and a hutch. I can easily move them myself with a handcart. Those came! The crappy, 15-y.o. sofa went out on the curb. . .

Old 04-11-2014, 09:23 PM

10,553 posts, read 9,649,020 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mjd07 View Post
I sold my beautiful 10 seat dining set for our move from Chicago to NC. I have regretted it every day since then and wish I could go back in time and not do it. What's done is done, though. So, my advice is if it's something you absolutely LOVE and it won't cost something outrageous to move (ie. grand piano) then just take it. If you have a "take it or leave it" feeling, you can probably sell it. It's really hard to know how things will fit in the new setup so there are things you may end up selling at the end anyway. Just don't make the mistake I did and part with something for which you have a strong fondness.
I regret that when I moved I donated away my multi-colored dinnerware, it was kind of like fiesta-ware, about 12 different colors. I bought the whole set from Bloomingdales for ~$120, dinner plates, salad plate, soup bowls, mugs about 15 years ago.

I thought, oh, I can always replace it. When I tried to replace it, because I LIKED it, one plate of that dinnerware set was selling for close to $100. So all these people saying sell it, you can replace it---I don't think so. Not all old things sell for less than they used to, some things go up in price.

I think it depends a lot too on the quality of the things one is thinking of either keeping or tossing. I donated a bunch of old antique mirrors that I had spent years collecting at junk stores etc. They were so HEAVY, I just couldn't move them. But replacing them, a whole different story. Like I said, the area I live in now is very high cost of living,and you don't find an antique mirror in a junk shop for $30. They don't even have any junk shops where I live now, maybe they are a southern thing.

It's kind of hard to throw away a life-time of belongings. So I guess it depends on your age too.

Last edited by ellemint; 04-11-2014 at 09:34 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > General Moving Issues