Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > General Moving Issues
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Moving items vs selling them off and buying new ones
Move 21 25.00%
Sell 44 52.38%
Don't know 19 22.62%
Voters: 84. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-10-2014, 05:20 PM

3,426 posts, read 4,333,588 times

Advertisements

I'd take clothes, dishes, kitchenware, and any personal items you positively can't live without; the only furniture I would pay to move long distance would be a bed. (Sleeping on the floor in a new place just sucks.)

The advantage of selling furniture is that you don't have to worry about whether or not it'll fit into your new place, which can sometimes be a problem. And you have the fun of refurnishing.

The disadvantage of selling furniture before you move, is that you're under the gun to get rid of the stuff, and you can be bid down. It's tempting to just give stuff away for free or next to free.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-11-2014, 07:11 AM

8,612 posts, read 10,696,368 times
MJ, that's great news on the new gig, rock on!

Ottowa, I hear you, luckily we furnished our placee from garage sale finds so no huge investment lost if I give it all away.

Old 10-09-2014, 12:43 PM

720 posts, read 800,414 times
Default Been there

Quote:
Originally Posted by MJ7 View Post
Thanks, everything is A-okay. I will be starting a new gig soon (I had to give a rather lengthy background/drug test), but I should be good to go soon. I moved here, worked a total of 9 days and then boom, no more work and no more job.
Cheers
The same just happened to us. My spouse worked for a company for one month and then moved to another state because that was to be the home office. I've been selling our things and tore up our house packing. After three weeks on the job in the new office in the new state, boom! laid off. So was the other new employee. The company decided not to fund their positions after-all! So much for their written job offers.

Now the spouse and all belongings shipped, including a car, must be shipped back. It cost us more than was earned during those 7 weeks of employment! Shipping things back will cost us even more.

Scum companies destablilize our populace and therefore our nation.

Kudos to you for finding a better job and company.

Old 10-13-2014, 01:59 PM

403 posts, read 554,145 times
The decision to move an item or sell it usually comes down to cost of replacing the item vs. the cost of moving it. The cost of moving an item isn't so simple to figure out. If you're hiring professional movers, then the cost to move the item will be determined by weight and you can try to factor in the cost of the movers to move the particular item. For instance, if you have a couch that takes say 15 minutes to move from the living room out to the truck and the company is charging you $100 an hour for the work of the movers, then you can say just moving it to the truck cost you $25. Then when you factor in that you're being charged by weight, then depending on how heavy the couch is, you could decide that it's cheaper to just buy a new couch when you get to your new place. If going across town, it's probably worth it to move the couch, but if going across country, then maybe not.

If you're renting a truck and moving the stuff yourself, then you have to remember that each item you decide to take also takes up space on the truck. Too much stuff and you'll need a larger truck, which will cost more money for the truck itself, but also be less fuel efficient. Actually, a single person can often move without renting a truck at all so taking anything large at all would increase the cost of the move by at least the cost of the truck.

When it's all said and done though, you're the only person that can decide if it's worth it to move an item or not. The problem though is that it's tough to know what the cost of these items would be in your new city. An item may cost $500 in your current city, but you may not be able to find it in your new city for less than $650.

The good thing is that most furniture, you can do without for awhile, at least if moving as an individual, not as a family. I've moved before and slept on an air mattress for 2 months and used a camping chair that I got at the local Walmart for $30 for pretty much anything else that I needed to sit for. That chair was actually more comfortable than the furniture I eventually bought. So if it's a matter of being low on money when you move, you can always consider something like that. It looks tacky if people come over to visit, but who cares. You can sell everything, have a bit more money for the move, and deal with cheap furniture such as air mattresses and camping chairs until you get settled in and save up a little money for real furniture.

Old 10-13-2014, 05:39 PM

26,144 posts, read 19,699,288 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MJ7
I might be moving soon, I have the option of moving my items in a upack from ABF, the total cost would be around 2k. I could either do this and spend my relo money on doing this, or I can sell off the items and use the relo money to purchase new items when I arrive to the new place.
You could also have an estate sale.... (Move and have others sell your stuff)

If it were me I would want to take my stuff as I value what I have @ all costs,I would try to move it!!

GOOD LUCK!!!!!!

Old 10-24-2014, 01:18 PM

1,778 posts, read 1,782,021 times
Can people here recommend an economical plan to move my stuff? I'm planning on moving from LI, NY about 2,000 miles to the southwest. Here's my list of stuff to transport:

1 new full size futon from Walmart (can be disassembled)
1 38" TV (I have the original box)
1 simple mission style wood TV stand (can be disassembled)
1 solid wood lingerie chest (about 4' tall and about 18" wide)
1 heavy, solid wood vintage cedar chest
1 cheap but comfortable Ikea lounge chair
2 folding wood chairs from my grandma
3 very small wood folding wood tables
1 Trekdesk (can be disassembled)
1 treadmill (can be folded for transport, but still heavy)
2 small freestanding shelf units that can be folded flat
About 10 paintings, some behind glass, measuring approximately 40" wide
About 5 smaller pictures
Miscellaneous electronics, housewares, bric a brac and a modest DVD collection

I gave loads of stuff away, including most of the housewares I hoarded over the years from shopping at thrift shops (I'm an addict). I saved about 10 plastic bags from linen purchases over the years, so those would serve nicely to transport clothing. What's left is the bare minimum I can part with. Selling at CL seems futile considering the time and trouble, so at this point I mostly just donate my stuff.

I also need advice on how to transport the pictures and not break the glass. These are family heirlooms and antiques.

I have a small liftback vehicle (Toyota Yaris) that holds a decent amount if the back seats are up.

One pod or two? Or can you recommend alternatives for me?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > General Moving Issues