Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > General Moving Issues
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-30-2014, 09:01 PM

978 posts, read 2,054,242 times

Advertisements

Does anyone have any experience with the UPack trailer space or Relo Cubes?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-02-2014, 04:38 PM

389 posts, read 916,840 times
We have used the ABF u-pack trailers twice and would use them again. It has been almost 5 years since the last big move.

Old 04-02-2014, 08:34 PM

251 posts, read 246,404 times
Hi There! Thought I'd chime in as we are moving now with the relo cubes.

We are in the process of having our stuff shipped with the relo cubes. They left today. I can say that the customer service has been great, I had to change our cube arrival dates twice and they were totally cool with that. They actually deliver and pick up the cubes during the window they give you too, which is nice. They delivered them at the early part of of our window for drop off, and picked them up at the later end of the time frame for pick up. (I'm sure they have done this a few times!) We packed a 1034 sq ft condo and they insisted on sending three cubes. We used one and one half of the second cube. They are bigger than they look initially. There are many slots inside them with moveable rings to adjust for tie down straps in the cubes. They seem solidly built to me. They guy who delivered them and picked them up did a good job of lifting them so they didn't jostle around a bunch.

So far into our experience with them its been easy. I'll have to let you know how our stuff arrives in 5-7 days.

Old 04-03-2014, 08:22 PM

One thing that I just found out is that Relo Cubes are only available in certain areas. They do not offer the cubes to the area of Nebraska I am considering moving to. I believe PODS has a much better service area, but also costs a lot more.

The CS agent said that the trailer has the same amount of space, but is usually a little cheaper than the cubes. I believe he said that 5" of trailer space = 1 cube.

Old 04-04-2014, 02:50 PM

389 posts, read 916,840 times
The trailers are huge! If you have every moved with a typical UHaul or Penske truck, think taller. We took advantage of that height.

We considered the cubes during this last move, but ran into the same issue -- their service was not available in one of the two areas (can't recall if it was where we were living or where we were moving to).

Old 04-04-2014, 03:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BuckeyeAtHeart View Post
The trailers are huge! If you have every moved with a typical UHaul or Penske truck, think taller. We took advantage of that height.

We considered the cubes during this last move, but ran into the same issue -- their service was not available in one of the two areas (can't recall if it was where we were living or where we were moving to).
So would 8" of trailer space be similar to a 16" Penske truck?

Old 04-04-2014, 05:21 PM

7,519 posts, read 13,624,634 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by attrapereves View Post
So would 8" of trailer space be similar to a 16" Penske truck?
Actually about 11 ft of trailer = 16 ft Penske

Penske says their 16 footer holds 826 cubic feet.

1 foot of the 8W x 9H trailer = 72 cu ft.

826 / 72 = 11.47 linear feet ( or about 42% of the 27 ft trailer)

(BTW, " = inches, ' = feet)

Old 04-05-2014, 07:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by reed303 View Post
Actually about 11 ft of trailer = 16 ft Penske

Penske says their 16 footer holds 826 cubic feet.

1 foot of the 8W x 9H trailer = 72 cu ft.

826 / 72 = 11.47 linear feet ( or about 42% of the 27 ft trailer)

(BTW, " = inches, ' = feet)
Thanks. I'm getting rid of a bunch of stuff, so 8 feet of space will probably suffice. The only problem I forsee is where to keep the trailer for a day or two in my apartment complex.

Old 04-05-2014, 10:11 AM

7,519 posts, read 13,624,634 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by attrapereves View Post
Thanks. I'm getting rid of a bunch of stuff, so 8 feet of space will probably suffice. The only problem I forsee is where to keep the trailer for a day or two in my apartment complex.
Maybe you know this. If parking the trailer is a problem, consider using a local Penske/Uhaul (or friend's ?) truck to haul your stuff to ABF/Upack's terminal, and load their trailer there. Yes it is a hassle , but could still be less expensive overall than alternatives.

Old 04-05-2014, 10:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by reed303 View Post
Maybe you know this. If parking the trailer is a problem, consider using a local Penske/Uhaul (or friend's ?) truck to haul your stuff to ABF/Upack's terminal, and load their trailer there. Yes it is a hassle , but could still be less expensive overall than alternatives.
Didn't even think about that. A local Penske truck should be no more than $30 for a day.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > General Moving Issues