U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > General Moving Issues
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-18-2014, 09:00 PM
Zot

468 posts, read 579,191 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by irootoo View Post
My husband and I will be moving soon to a location that I just found out does not have reliable cell phone coverage.
If you can't get good service, buy the phone company! That's what my idol Oliver Wendel Douglas did. "Green Acres" Oliver vs. the Phone Company (TV Episode 1967) - IMDb

Another woman had this exact problem -

Why Haven't I Heard From You Lyrics- Reba McEntire - YouTube
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-18-2014, 10:20 PM

25,787 posts, read 32,776,831 times
Quote:
My husband and I will be moving soon to a location that I just found out does not have reliable cell phone coverage. We will only be a few miles outside a reliable coverage area, and it's an easy drive into town, but I have had a cell phone since they first became generally available, so I am freaking out!

Can anyone who lives without a cell phone on a daily basis talk me down? There are so many pluses to where we will be, and I know it's not the end of the world, but I am going from being connected 24/7 to an unfamiliar scenario and I do not need this extra worry right now!

Are any of you currently living without a cell phone 24/7 and surviving just fine without it?
Why can't you get a landline? I would be much more worried without my landline than my cell.

Old 04-18-2014, 10:22 PM

25,787 posts, read 32,776,831 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dean Trails View Post
Pretty soon we will be dropping our phone service, both cell and land line to an absolute minimum. The costs have skyrocketed. A cell with texting , etc. is around $90/month. Gees, that is over $1000 a year. You can do a lot with that amount of money rather than keep in touch. Do you really need to talk to the same people day after day?
In college, i spoke to my parents about twice a month. And my friends, well we met for lunch or dinner to get the news. This culture of staying connect 24 hours a day is so stifling. How about if we ditch the phones and go away somewhere quiet and improve our minds, read a book or take a pleasant walk?
I have an iPhone 4s, and I have Page Plus cellular service. $29.95 a month.

Old 04-18-2014, 11:47 PM

22,552 posts, read 16,699,671 times
Quote:
My husband and I will be moving soon to a location that I just found out does not have reliable cell phone coverage. We will only be a few miles outside a reliable coverage area, and it's an easy drive into town, but I have had a cell phone since they first became generally available, so I am freaking out!

Can anyone who lives without a cell phone on a daily basis talk me down? There are so many pluses to where we will be, and I know it's not the end of the world, but I am going from being connected 24/7 to an unfamiliar scenario and I do not need this extra worry right now!

Are any of you currently living without a cell phone 24/7 and surviving just fine without it?
Yes. I do not use a cell phone and it is extremely liberating. I see so many people glued to their phones, driving while talking/texting, walking while talking/texting, on break while talking/texting, in line while talking/texting...to be that addicted to a little device that costs you way more per month than it should, is not something I would glorify.

Back in the olden days, when we had landlines, people got a hold of us just fine. Believe it or not, you don't need to be connected 24/7. You really don't.

What you will get is a whole lot more free time to enjoy your surroundings, have actual conversations with other people, see the world, experience the day because you won't have your head buried in your little electronic device.

Old 04-19-2014, 01:50 AM

12,543 posts, read 13,973,319 times
Quote:
My husband and I will be moving soon to a location that I just found out does not have reliable cell phone coverage. We will only be a few miles outside a reliable coverage area, and it's an easy drive into town, but I have had a cell phone since they first became generally available, so I am freaking out!...Are any of you currently living without a cell phone 24/7 and surviving just fine without it?
Sorry, I have to laugh at this problem. I have a mobile phone. It is only turned on when I need to make a call, otherwise it is never on.

You will survive.

Old 04-19-2014, 06:19 AM

487 posts, read 583,843 times
Not particularly kind to laugh at the problems of others. Just because you don't find it important doesn't mean it isn't important to the original poster. How about trying to be helpful instead?

Also, I don't believe the OP said anything about wanting to bury themselves in the cell phone. They want to be able to use it. Don't make them into a villain for asking a valid question.

Old 04-19-2014, 08:34 AM

1,167 posts, read 1,096,072 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueCat1105 View Post
Not particularly kind to laugh at the problems of others. Just because you don't find it important doesn't mean it isn't important to the original poster. How about trying to be helpful instead?

Also, I don't believe the OP said anything about wanting to bury themselves in the cell phone. They want to be able to use it. Don't make them into a villain for asking a valid question.

Yeah, the OP specifically said that they use their cell for work, which is not at all uncommon.

Old 04-19-2014, 09:49 AM

12,543 posts, read 13,973,319 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueCat1105 View Post

The OP presented it an over-the-top way, wasn't even sure she could be serious. I would have hoped not. As you can see by reading the various postings she is not stranded on an ice flow simply because she does not have cell phone cover. There are plenty of options.

Be as po'ed as you like, but this woman will get a grip and survive. And presumably she will see her panic for what it was and laugh about it.

'lax up.

Old 04-19-2014, 11:26 AM
Zot

468 posts, read 579,191 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ozgal View Post
Yeah, the OP specifically said that they use their cell for work, which is not at all uncommon.
If you get T-Mobile, the phone will use your Wi-Fi to make and receive calls when not in a mobile phone area.

If she has internet, she has the ability to use her cell phones to make and receive calls.

Old 04-19-2014, 11:39 AM

558 posts, read 865,610 times
Embrace it!

I have been leaving mine at home a lot because I'm simply just sick of being bothered when I want to be left alone. I've told people I don't use it much anymore. It's such a hassle to even own one, for me anyways it's just a 24 hour interruption device.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > General Moving Issues
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or