U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > General Moving Issues
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-17-2014, 10:28 AM

2,727 posts, read 1,683,336 times

Advertisements

My husband and I will be moving soon to a location that I just found out does not have reliable cell phone coverage. We will only be a few miles outside a reliable coverage area, and it's an easy drive into town, but I have had a cell phone since they first became generally available, so I am freaking out!

Can anyone who lives without a cell phone on a daily basis talk me down? There are so many pluses to where we will be, and I know it's not the end of the world, but I am going from being connected 24/7 to an unfamiliar scenario and I do not need this extra worry right now!

Are any of you currently living without a cell phone 24/7 and surviving just fine without it?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-17-2014, 10:57 AM

13,106 posts, read 17,674,359 times
Why do you not get a land line and dsl for starters?

Old 04-17-2014, 11:06 AM

5,045 posts, read 5,966,482 times
Give it a few weeks. You'll probably adjust just fine. Too many people blab about nothing all day. You'll likely find that you're 10x more productive without one disrupting you.

I use mostly email for communication, which I check about 3x per day when not at work. I have a land line with voice mail. I've gone from about 2 hours on the phone daily to about one hour (or less a week). It's freeing.

Old 04-17-2014, 11:07 AM

5,199 posts, read 8,325,396 times
Some things you might look into:

1. There is a C-D forum for cell phone issues at:

http://www.city-data.com/forum/cell-phones-smartphones/

2. Is there any signal available at all ?? If so, consider installing a "signal booster" at the house:

How to Permanently Solve Bad Reception with a Cell Phone Signal Booster

Cell Phone Signal Boosters, Repeaters and Amplifiers - UberSignal

3. Have you been able to talk with neighbors re what their experience is with reception ??

Good Luck...

Old 04-17-2014, 11:09 AM

2,288 posts, read 2,607,711 times
What Three said. I have a landline and prefer it. A cell is hit and miss where I live, but I hate them anyway. I use mine only while out and if I need help or to tell someone I'm on my way.

Old 04-17-2014, 11:11 AM

35,121 posts, read 40,004,782 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by irootoo View Post
My husband and I will be moving soon to a location that I just found out does not have reliable cell phone coverage. We will only be a few miles outside a reliable coverage area, and it's an easy drive into town, but I have had a cell phone since they first became generally available, so I am freaking out!

Can anyone who lives without a cell phone on a daily basis talk me down? There are so many pluses to where we will be, and I know it's not the end of the world, but I am going from being connected 24/7 to an unfamiliar scenario and I do not need this extra worry right now!

Are any of you currently living without a cell phone 24/7 and surviving just fine without it?

Did you survive before the general availability of internet and cell phones? I would guess you did since you are posting here. Anyway, depending on your age I would think you would remember those days and you will survive now like you did then without it.

Worrying with something so trivial is a waste of time and energy.

Old 04-17-2014, 11:41 AM

Thank you all so much for the reassurance and the helpful information! I think we will be just fine, I was just as I said freaking out for a minute!

CSD610, I wish I could control what I worry about, but I haven't developed that skill yet, especially in the wee hours of the morning. If you can do that, my hat is off to you!

Old 04-17-2014, 01:52 PM

260 posts, read 795,595 times
I don't talk on the phone much. I have a 82 yr old mother who I want to be able to contact me whenever she needs to. If you don't want to miss a call get a landline and forward your calls to your cell when your gone.

Old 04-17-2014, 03:41 PM

3,273 posts, read 3,097,145 times
When I had a landline, I had the phone company set up forwarding on ring no answer, so if I didn't answer the landline, it rang my cell phone. But then I got a femtocell and cablemodem and dropped POTS.

Even if there is zero signal, several carriers (Verizon, Sprint, AT&T)offer Internet femtocells, aka "Extender", using your Internet to provide local cellular coverage inside and around your home (up to a 5,000 square foot area). Sometimes if you complain about lack of signal and ask about canceling, they will provide a femtocell for free or cheap.

Even if you end up paying a one-time cost for the hardware, it will be less than a year of paying for a landline phone.

Old 04-17-2014, 03:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nonesuch View Post
When I had a landline, I had the phone company set up forwarding on ring no answer, so if I didn't answer the landline, it rang my cell phone. But then I got a femtocell and cablemodem and dropped POTS.

Even if there is zero signal, several carriers (Verizon, Sprint, AT&T)offer Internet femtocells, aka "Extender", using your Internet to provide local cellular coverage inside and around your home (up to a 5,000 square foot area). Sometimes if you complain about lack of signal and ask about canceling, they will provide a femtocell for free or cheap.

Even if you end up paying a one-time cost for the hardware, it will be less than a year of paying for a landline phone.
I had no idea about any of this, so thank you so much for the details! Very helpful and I'm starting to feel much better!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > General Moving Issues
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or