U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > General Moving Issues
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-21-2014, 03:31 PM

359 posts, read 416,337 times

Advertisements

FYI, to add something to the discussion instead of just begging for help.

Here are some sites to checkout for reviews:

Search by Company
http://www.moverreviews.com/
Moving: How to Avoid Being Scammed by Moving Companies
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-22-2014, 10:47 AM

1,516 posts, read 1,840,067 times
There is some generalizing going on in this thread. For those bashing Allied--you know that Allied has local agents in each area? Some are great, some aren't so great. Same with any big national moving company. The United or Allied agents in Podunk Town USA may be quite different from the ones in Podunkius Town USA a few states apart. You have to do your research quite thoroughly and see what local company will be doing your move. In our case, we used an Allied agent that had been in business for 30+ years. It was a family business and their reputation was everything. They really worked with us through our very challenging move. I've moved many times in the military and this was one of the best moves we had. The only drawback---they were expensive compared to some other quotes we got. Well worth it though. I think that I mentioned that we came in 2,000 lbs overweight. They ate the cost---not us. Not a thing was broken nor were there hidden costs.

Quote:
Originally Posted by YetAnotherTransplant View Post
So how do you find a good local agent? Did you go through the national site and let them just point you at one? Or is it better to do your own research and find a good local agent? I'm sure there are multiple in some areas that can help you, right?
To answer your question, we used Angie's List, a moving site (forgot the name sorry but you can Goggle for it--plenty of sites with reviews) and the BBB. When we decided to move, we filled out one of those give me quotes sites. Wow, it sure opened the floodgate for phone calls. Some calls were too good to be true. A few companies were outright aggressive with me. Upon doing some research into a few of them (local companies), I suspect that they were part of the Russian mafia, lol. Corporation name changes, harassment of people giving reviews, scary folks showing up to do inventories. One poor fellow had his goods held hostage until he paid "excess fees" which almost doubled the cost. I would rather pay a higher fee upfront where everything is laid out than have the estimate doubled. Stuff out there is really, really scary and that is part of the reason why we ended up going the way we did. We almost went with one company but something didn't sit right and when I did some digging (BBB and reviews), they were a really bad outfit. Also remember to take online reviews with a grain of salt. Now if you are reading mostly negative reviews, you need to be careful. But even the best of companies may get a bad review or two. You have to sort through everything and find the one you are comfortable with.

Oh and one other thing---some companies want to give you an estimate over the phone with you walking around doing the inventory of the rooms. I only worked with companies that actually came out to your house, did an inventory and gave you a signed quote.

Old 04-22-2014, 12:22 PM

359 posts, read 416,337 times
Thank you . After panicking yesterday I did just what you suggested. We've found a company we're 90% comfortable with. The in home estimate is tomorrow and as long as it's not outrageous we're good. I don't mind overpaying a bit for peace of mind. We have another person coming in Thursday, just to be sure.

Yes, like you I thought we'd found someone before. Even the in home estimate went well. Then I hit google and movingscam dot com showed some scary reviews. It was like my previous Allied experience all over again.. apparently they often use craigslist to hire the moving help on the other end. Not even 5 minutes of training, no background check, didn't even make copies of their ids. When the homeowners got ripped off (happened multiple times) they would blame them and assume they stole their own stuff. They had great reviews on Angie's list and BBB but if you looked they were only 3 years old and they had a different name before that (same owner) that didn't have good reviews! Ugh! Frustrating!

Anyway, I think we're getting there. Thanks to everyone for the comments and hopefully this discussion was useful to the OP - didn't mean to hijack his thread!

Old 04-24-2014, 11:01 AM

415 posts, read 2,155,330 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruth4Truth View Post
Allied is a terrible company! Their packers and movers are very unprofessional in both skills and demeanor. In some cities, they use ex-cons. Some show up for the job with alcohol on their breath (at 9 a.m.). And beware going with another big company, like United. Some of them contract out to Allied. Call and check before you sign on.
Well; Ruth4Truth, you could not be farther from the truth, there is no way United would ever contract a move to Allied. I work for a United Office ad can tell you we only use background checked and trained individuals. Not saying thing don't go wrong on move, but your chances of having a good move with one of the major carriers is better.
United, Mayflower, North American, and Allied handle over 78% of the moving across America, With United and North American doing the majority, We they NEVER contract business to the other

Old 04-26-2014, 09:54 PM

6,432 posts, read 3,046,413 times
We used Allied and it was great. As others have said it depends on the local agent.

All the major moving companies will give you the same estimate within a few hundred dollars of each other.

It comes down to quality/reputation of the local agent. Choose someone who has been in business a long time and has good reviews.

Old 04-26-2014, 11:15 PM

521 posts, read 3,927,422 times
Consumers can check a licensed interstate Household Goods Carrier's Complaint History at the Federal Motor Carrier Safety Administration's Protect Your Move website.

While there, be sure download the to read Your Right and Responsibilities When You Move, a booklet that every mover is required by law to provide potential customers.

When obtaining your estimates, you might find this Moving Cost Estimate Comparison Tool helpful in comparing each company's actual performance metrics.

Those moving into or out of California (or any of the surrounding states) will have far fewer movers to choose from this year thanks to the new clean air emission standards that the California Air Resources Board (CARB) imposed on truck and bus carriers on January 1, 2014.

Check out this article for some tips consumers can use to vet any company they're considering for their relocation.

Does your moving company do California? | RELO Roundtable...a gathering place

Old 05-16-2014, 09:36 PM

14,196 posts, read 23,882,514 times
I have had SIX corporate relocations. I have had very good experiences with both Allied and United Van Lines over the years. They have done and excellent job and the guys were courteous. In all my moves, there has been at least a minimal amount of damage no matter how careful they are.

But my last move was with Mayflower (Brendamour out of Cincinnati). That was NOT a good experience. We arranged to have particular people UNLOAD our furniture and goods in Chicagoland. The driver took it upon himself to dismiss those guys and to use his two teenagers to unload the stuff. There was quite a bit of damage with the furniture. I had a lot of leverage however, as my employer refused payment until all damages were compensated.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > General Moving Issues