Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > General Moving Issues
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-19-2014, 02:07 PM

5,103 posts, read 8,570,311 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by MJ7 View Post
There is no place in the midwest that I would ever move back to. You sir are a brave man/woman for staying. Good luck.
I'm female, and I love the Midwest! -- not the couple of days where it's so humid that I can barely breathe or so cold that I think I'm living in a deep freeze, but those days pass. I've loving the weather we have now. We earned it! (:
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-19-2014, 02:12 PM

558 posts, read 1,116,760 times
1) Not having enough money.

2) Sold everything to add to my bank account to be sure I had enough money...and still I didn't have enough money.

Old 04-19-2014, 02:44 PM

14,539 posts, read 21,199,368 times
Having had several unanticipated, and not of my making disastors happen, that.

But I was completely sure I wanted to move. I was more than done with where I lived. I'd been to where I live now for a visit with a friend and felt from the start it would work. Having her and her roomates around for a few years helped a lot since I had someone I knew.

But while I understand that some would not like it in the 'flyover zone', nobody should dismiss it out of hand unless you can't stand the thought of anything but a big busy city. I love where I live, and the neighbors are good and the weather isn't boring LOL, and its *calm*. But I already wanted a place like this, just didn't know how to find one. So if you do have that dream, don't be afraid. Go and look, and try. You might be very surprised how much you like it.

Old 04-19-2014, 05:19 PM
MJ7

6,221 posts, read 10,702,966 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Meemur View Post
LOL!

I still like it here, even after last winter. I grew up in Michigan with weather like that. What a blast from the past!

I should have written that I'm cycling on the trails and in the country. No GPS! So it's critical that I know where I am because I don't always have a map with me.
Quote:
I'm female, and I love the Midwest! -- not the couple of days where it's so humid that I can barely breathe or so cold that I think I'm living in a deep freeze, but those days pass. I've loving the weather we have now. We earned it! (:
As long as you like it, that's all that matters. My mothers side of the family hail from Iowa, let's just say many generations do.

Old 04-20-2014, 10:37 AM

5,616 posts, read 15,489,617 times
Being different from the people who lived in the new area. Adjustment period. Not enough to do. Hating it and stuck for life!

Old 04-20-2014, 07:03 PM

14,267 posts, read 6,908,425 times
Quote:
New hires with GPS units make fun of me, but I don't feel secure until I know an area well enough to drive to places like hospitals or know 4 - 5 different ways to get home or get to work under all conditions.

Sometimes satellite connections are lost . . .

Sometimes GPS units get stolen or don't work . . .
Use a GPS, but keep a paper map in the car. It's called backup!

Old 04-21-2014, 06:58 AM

1,515 posts, read 2,267,242 times
1) What are/were your biggest fears about moving to a new place?

Starting over again, especially with friends. Hubby and I don't have a good family support network so it is the two of us against the world. At least in our previous state, I had a couple of really good friends I could count on. The second big fear was actually taking the plunge to make the move. Hubby quit a very well paying job to follow our dream to get out of our last state. Although he has employment at the moment, it is temporary in nature and we knew that when we took the steps to move. This move was a pretty big decision for us and the jury is still out on whether we did the right thing. I think we did--our kids are flourishing, hubby is happier, we love this state. But it has been a rather unsettled year for us while we get everything sorted out. It is darned hard picking up and moving after a long stretch in our last state. We both moved many times in the military over the course of our careers. This last move was the hardest since we had lived in one place for 15 years.

2) How do/did you address them? (Resources such as books, websites, etc.)

We took a trip out to our destination state a few years ago and looked around. We met with a realtor and did a bit of house hunting while we were here. We also did quite a bit of research---books, websites, etc. I also have a few friends out here and picked their brain a bit. There were really no negatives from what we learned aside from the summer heat which wasn't so bad for us last summer.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > General Moving Issues