U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > General Moving Issues
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-18-2014, 09:07 AM

3 posts, read 4,430 times

Advertisements

I'm a 30 year old American male currently living in the US, but I've lived in 3 different countries and visited about a dozen others. Working as a software consultant, I'm required to relocate quite frequently.

I want to help my coworkers deal with relocating more easily, but it seems there are many obstacles to having a successful move. For example, some of my biggest fears/obstacles are: finding new friends, finding adequate housing in a good area, keeping in touch with old friends.

I have two questions:

1) What are/were your biggest fears about moving to a new place?

2) How do/did you address them? (Resources such as books, websites, etc.)
Quick reply to this message

Old 04-18-2014, 09:24 AM

3,493 posts, read 4,702,524 times
Biggest fears were: Failing to move, being wrong about which city to move to

Handled by: Joined forums to talk to residents, read wikipedia pages, talked with wife about what we wanted

Now my biggest fear about moving would be being forced to move, because I am completely happy with my location and have no intent to move again.

Old 04-18-2014, 10:21 AM
MJ7

6,221 posts, read 8,194,122 times
I really don't have any fear. The only thing I can recommend is make sure you rent or sublease a place for a short amount of time starting out (3-6 months). Be sure to do your homework and drive around the area you are going to move to. If you have all your bases covered you should be golden.

Old 04-18-2014, 02:19 PM

4,981 posts, read 5,449,503 times
My biggest fears were getting lost and needing to find a critical item in a hurry (and couldn't).

I spent several hours studying maps of the Des Moines area before I moved. It really helped that my realtor drove me around when we saw houses. I was then able to make the transition from the map to physical landmarks (I don't have or want a GPS).

It was also extremely helpful that many of the same stores (like Staples, Target, Lowe's) are found in both areas, plus the layouts are alike or very similar.

Before I moved, I used Google to locate an emergency vet, Urgent Care, closest hospital, grocery, etc., the top twelve places. I drew those onto a hard copy map, and as soon as I had time, I drove around and located them.

I'm sure all this sounds really anal if you have a GPS, but within the first week, I was getting around town, using the freeways, without maps or getting lost. I also discovered some new places that had things I needed.

At this point (8 months later), I can hop in the car and go nearly anywhere in Iowa and have some idea of where I am. I'm working on learning Omaha, next.

Old 04-18-2014, 05:27 PM

3 posts, read 4,430 times
Thanks, I really should use my GPS less. Its really become a crutch for me, I have to use it whenever I go anyplace new, even close to my current house.

Old 04-18-2014, 06:40 PM
MJ7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Parsimian View Post
Thanks, I really should use my GPS less. Its really become a crutch for me, I have to use it whenever I go anyplace new, even close to my current house.
I find it is best to use if you have no clue to where you are going, but a good way to get to know the area is to study maps. Use google maps and zoom in a route and try to follow it without using the GPS.

Old 04-18-2014, 08:50 PM

New hires with GPS units make fun of me, but I don't feel secure until I know an area well enough to drive to places like hospitals or know 4 - 5 different ways to get home or get to work under all conditions.

Sometimes satellite connections are lost . . .

Sometimes GPS units get stolen or don't work . . .

Old 04-19-2014, 07:00 AM

3,493 posts, read 4,702,524 times
Sorry Meemur. It must be rough to work that hard to learn the streets and then find out how few of them lead out of Iowa

Old 04-19-2014, 07:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lurtsman View Post
Sorry Meemur. It must be rough to work that hard to learn the streets and then find out how few of them lead out of Iowa
LOL!

I still like it here, even after last winter. I grew up in Michigan with weather like that. What a blast from the past!

I should have written that I'm cycling on the trails and in the country. No GPS! So it's critical that I know where I am because I don't always have a map with me.

Old 04-19-2014, 08:19 AM
MJ7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Meemur View Post
LOL!

I still like it here, even after last winter. I grew up in Michigan with weather like that. What a blast from the past!

I should have written that I'm cycling on the trails and in the country. No GPS! So it's critical that I know where I am because I don't always have a map with me.
I grew up in a very small town in northwestern Wisconsin, then I moved to FL (I've currently been in MO for the last 8 months and I am moving to the gulf again in 2 weeks). There is no place in the midwest that I would ever move back to. You sir are a brave man/woman for staying. Good luck.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > General Moving Issues
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or