U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > General Moving Issues
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-20-2014, 12:53 PM
MJ7

6,221 posts, read 8,613,175 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by hunterseat View Post
Thanks! I'm a ma'am. The furlough occurred while I was in Hawaii. If ya HAVE to take a week off, that's a good place!
Why did you leave Hawaii, if you don't mind me asking?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-20-2014, 01:42 PM

4,065 posts, read 5,449,655 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kelly1922 View Post
My husband is in IT as well and has had nothing *but* problems. We just had his resume professionally done but I think once they see he's out of state, they toss it. He's got 14 years of experience. He would love nothing more than a relocation package, but so far he hasn't found it.
I have to agree with MJ7.

Several years ago, I had my resume redone by 2 professional resume services. It was filled with buzzwords and fluff. I had no hits locally or out of state for 4 months.

I took a free job hunting class. My resume was bullet proof, after 100 mock interviews. I took all the feedback and revised my resume gradually. They had me remove all the BS. I got calls every week in the middle of winter for corporate jobs. I had 10-20 mock interviews every week in this FREE class.

Relocation isn't even necessary for IT jobs. At my employer, we have developers working remote out of state. They work from home. They still jump on conference calls and turn in their projects like everybody else. They can still transfer to other offices, which may be in different cities. Somebody may work in Philadelphia for the Dallas office. Next year, they could be working in Philadelphia for the Chicago office. If the employee moves to the local office, it's up to them. It's no big deal. If they need local support, they just go to the local corporate office.

It makes moving easy also. If I want to move to Florida, I can't find any jobs in FL. I could apply for the Chicago, NY, or any office and work remote from Texas. When I get enough funds, I can move to Florida and still work remote for the Chicago or whatever office.

Last edited by move4ward; 04-20-2014 at 02:00 PM..

Old 04-20-2014, 03:22 PM

7,677 posts, read 8,974,848 times
I really don't understand why people think that companies will only hire local candidates. While I don't doubt some may prefer it, people obviously have been able to relocate for greener pastures. This country was built on that. If nobody was ever able to relocate then how were companies like Uhaul ever established? Wouldn't our population be severely inbred if nobody could ever relocate? There is no secret to getting a job out of state. You sent out resumes and applications and hope for the best.

Old 04-20-2014, 03:25 PM

4,506 posts, read 5,474,721 times
I've never had a problem getting hired from out of state...I've never lied or deceived about my current location either.

If they want you they will hire you! To say otherwise is an excuse as to why you didn't get the job!

Old 04-20-2014, 08:46 PM

15,012 posts, read 21,669,103 times
If you are relocating and willing to pay your own way it is easier. I put in my cover letter these facts and given several interviews.

Old 04-20-2014, 09:06 PM

1,516 posts, read 1,842,413 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kelly1922 View Post
My husband is in IT as well and has had nothing *but* problems. We just had his resume professionally done but I think once they see he's out of state, they toss it. He's got 14 years of experience. He would love nothing more than a relocation package, but so far he hasn't found it.
Same was true for us. He finally had to take a temporary consulting position to get us out of the state. We've been through many iterations of resumes too. He is still looking for a permanent position almost a year later. Job market out there is a bit tough.

Old 04-21-2014, 12:17 AM

1,764 posts, read 2,326,657 times
I think it depends on the field and how much a company needs to have a position filled. I have a former neighbor whose husband is in IT (forgot what concentration). They have moved about five times in that many years because he never gets hired on once he's fulfilled his contract assignment. They are renting on a short-term lease while he continues to follow positions around the country.

In that situation, I would customize my resume to jobs of interest and apply. The worst that can say is "no" and you're no worse off than before. Sometimes, you mind find that "diamond in the rough" if you just give it a shot.

Good luck in whatever you decide to do!

Old 04-21-2014, 04:32 AM

11,231 posts, read 8,373,983 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by veuvegirl View Post
If you are relocating and willing to pay your own way it is easier. I put in my cover letter these facts and given several interviews.
Absolutely!! It's not as hard as it seems. Just be sure you have a good cushion to fall back on financially which shouldn't be a problem after moving sales and craigslist liquidate all your worldly possessions.

I think if you're so valuable that there's no one as good anywhere closer, it would be a job that might pay relocation expenses.

We were in Hawaii a year. Taking that job enabled me to move up a pay grade. I didn't want to stay there forever. With the sequestration I was a little nervous about getting offers back on the mainland so I cast and landed this offer in Atlanta. Hawaii is beautiful, I miss it in many ways. Aloha gets into your soul.

Old 04-21-2014, 07:45 AM

9,090 posts, read 8,238,314 times
We live in Florida and my husband hires lots of managers for his South Florida positions.

He no longer bothers with out of state resumes because they are a waste of his time.

All that he spoke to were just testing the waters and had no real desire to leave their home state or wanted relocation packages. After about the tenth time, he no longer interviews out of state resumes.

He has interviewed and hired a few that used Florida PO boxes that later confessed to him over phone interviews that they live out of state or out of area. They seem to really want to move. They also understand they will be paying for the move. He is very flexible in scheduling in person interviews because it is at their expense.

Old 04-21-2014, 11:42 AM

1,009 posts, read 2,363,339 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by move4ward View Post
I have to agree with MJ7.

Several years ago, I had my resume redone by 2 professional resume services. It was filled with buzzwords and fluff. I had no hits locally or out of state for 4 months.

I took a free job hunting class. My resume was bullet proof, after 100 mock interviews. I took all the feedback and revised my resume gradually. They had me remove all the BS. I got calls every week in the middle of winter for corporate jobs. I had 10-20 mock interviews every week in this FREE class.

Relocation isn't even necessary for IT jobs. At my employer, we have developers working remote out of state. They work from home. They still jump on conference calls and turn in their projects like everybody else. They can still transfer to other offices, which may be in different cities. Somebody may work in Philadelphia for the Dallas office. Next year, they could be working in Philadelphia for the Chicago office. If the employee moves to the local office, it's up to them. It's no big deal. If they need local support, they just go to the local corporate office.

It makes moving easy also. If I want to move to Florida, I can't find any jobs in FL. I could apply for the Chicago, NY, or any office and work remote from Texas. When I get enough funds, I can move to Florida and still work remote for the Chicago or whatever office.

i had an interview to work remotely. but i got denied. basically saying the remote work policy has to be an accomodation (sick or special needs child).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > General Moving Issues