U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > General Moving Issues
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-22-2014, 08:58 PM

216 posts, read 370,219 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Meemur View Post

The fastest way to make friends is to go do things that really interest you! Just turn off the computer and go. I find that to be the biggest problem with people in my real life who complain about no social life (and want one). They just make tons of excuses instead of getting out there.
Yes. Meetup.com is a great source of opportunities to get involved in activities while meeting new friends.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-23-2014, 08:56 AM

9,013 posts, read 8,290,115 times
First off, making friends is literally the least of my concerns with a major move.
Quite a few things are more
important to me than friends, lol
I do, however like to have people
I can get insider info
from on the local issues,
best & worst of lists, etc.
Serendipity brought me a
Californian yesterday-
he seriously was inspiring &
motivating me to relocate there &
with my career, I can.
We spent hours talking about how I'd do this, where, how much rents are there, etc.
It's wonderful knowing ppl
who are already where u wanna be

Old 04-23-2014, 08:56 AM

15,699 posts, read 26,694,100 times
I would wait just as long as it takes to get the house unpacked and the grill going. We have been in our home for over three years and know just about everyone on the street. Our next door neighbors became friends right away. Two doors down had one question to us after a few weeks, I was outside doing some yard work. They just wanted to know if we were renters or owners. We told them that we had bought the home. The former owner rented it out to lots of people, as many as 17 at one time. LOL After finding out we were owners they became friends. The other next door neighbor has kids in high school that are friends with our kids, that is always an easy way to make friends. In fact three of our neighbors have kids that are friends with our kids. They come over all the time and we have had them over for some of the burnt food I make in the back yard. Love the grill. Another couple like hanging out with us because they are also new to the neighborhood, they moved a year before we did and I guess found it hard to make friends. Most of the people on our street have been there for decades. After 6 months in our home we finally met another neighbor that lives a couple doors down. The lady of the house is a former co-worker. They were always fone though with traveling teams for their daughters. That was kind of cool to find out that after 6 months we knew them allready. LOL

One easy way to make friends is make some cookies and deliver them. Don't wait for the neighbors to bring you anything. Now when someone new moves in bring them something, then you will have a new friend. If you want to make friends become proactive in becoming a friend.

Old 04-23-2014, 11:53 AM

2,478 posts, read 4,856,311 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TXred View Post
I would never base my relocation decisions on friends or not making friends.
^I'm with TXred.

I've fortunate in that I've never had trouble making friends. Granted, in small towns it's difficult, but many times I have found that people don't try hard enough to make friends. The use work as their only source or attempt to make friends. They come home and then they don't go anywhere. In any city I move to, I always find groups with similar interest through meetup.com or similar avenues. I look for people online in hobbies that we share. I join recreational sports leagues, etc. I make friends very very quickly, but if I didn't, I don't think I'd ever use it as an excuse to move to another city.

Old 04-23-2014, 02:49 PM

414 posts, read 885,168 times
If you're being outgoing and sociable, having no friends after a year would be a warning sign. That was my experience on moving to MN- lots of friendly people, but despite my best efforts no real friendships. I made the mistake of giving it a 2nd year with even more effort (and similar results) before deciding to move on. That said, the upper midwest is pretty notoriously closed off if you're not a native.

I've made lifelong friends in as little as 3 months, but that was because I lived and worked with them and formed an immediate connection.

Old 04-24-2014, 10:16 PM

7,677 posts, read 8,974,848 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AbqTeacher View Post
If you're being outgoing and sociable, having no friends after a year would be a warning sign. That was my experience on moving to MN- lots of friendly people, but despite my best efforts no real friendships. I made the mistake of giving it a 2nd year with even more effort (and similar results) before deciding to move on. That said, the upper midwest is pretty notoriously closed off if you're not a native.

I've made lifelong friends in as little as 3 months, but that was because I lived and worked with them and formed an immediate connection.
Some areas out west are pretty closed off as well. I see what you mean about making an effort though. That would be pretty frustrating if you are making an honest effort and still didn't have friends.

Old 04-25-2014, 01:58 AM

12,614 posts, read 14,012,323 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WyoEagle View Post
I was chatting with a friend of a friend who had recently relocated. She said the reason she left her former town was because she wasn't making any friends. She had only lived there for a year. To me that seemed like a pretty short time to give up on a place for not making friends. Maybe it's just because I've lived in small towns where people can be a bit reserved and it takes time to make friends, but I think I would give it more than one year. Would any of you move to a new town after living there for a year and not making friends?
Seems like a very short trial period to me as well. I have moved four times in the past fifteen years - though the first was only for a short-term stay. However, in the other three making friends - as opposed to casual acquaintances - occurred in the second and third years living in each place.

Old 04-26-2014, 03:38 AM

207 posts, read 368,543 times
Default A

I am an introvert and don't really identify with most women as I am more a tomboy so it takes me longer than most. I moved to Arizona and it took me about 2 1/2 years to make a close friend. She admitted later she didn't want to be friends at first because I was from out of state. We have been in sc for a year and half, I still don't have close friend but I have different meet ups I go too, so hopefully that will help.

Old 04-26-2014, 10:20 AM

7,677 posts, read 8,974,848 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dmlarue1 View Post
I am an introvert and don't really identify with most women as I am more a tomboy so it takes me longer than most. I moved to Arizona and it took me about 2 1/2 years to make a close friend. She admitted later she didn't want to be friends at first because I was from out of state. We have been in sc for a year and half, I still don't have close friend but I have different meet ups I go too, so hopefully that will help.
It took me a while in my current town as I am not of the same religion as a lot if the populace nor am I a heavy drinker like a lot of the others. I definitely had to work hard as there weren't many options available but I did finally make friends. I wouldn't have moved away after a year though.

Old 04-26-2014, 11:17 AM

5,766 posts, read 3,233,604 times
I moved from the Midwest (WI) to coastal South Carolina last year. I've met a few people here and there, but I'm really enjoying solitude, too. It's nice to be alone and be able to sit quietly at the beach or go hiking through the woods without chatting. I think that if I were to feel disappointment at not making lots of friends, I'd be a very unhappy person here.

I'm not sure that picking up and moving would even enter my mind. I've met a few people just in the past several weeks now that I have my "rhythm" down. I run into the same people at the beach or on the trails. Once you start seeing the same folks, it's easier to converse, I find. (Although I talk to everyone, everywhere!)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > General Moving Issues
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or