Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > General Moving Issues
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-10-2007, 08:25 AM

9,296 posts, read 16,584,604 times

Advertisements

I love the changing seasons in the northeast! There is nothing like a fresh pristine snowfall, building a fire and having hot chocolate! We have chosen to head north instead of south for retirement. We'll take the snow over the heat, humidity and palmetto bugs anyday! If we feel the need for a change, we'll head to the islands for a few weeks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-10-2007, 08:35 AM

21 posts, read 171,929 times
I'm in SE VA right now, along the coast. It rarely snows to start with and this summer was hotter than most... I started to un-wilt when the temperatures dropped to about 50's. We plan on moving to Vermont this coming summer, and we are both *really* looking forward to a white Christmas.

I love winter. I miss the snow, the colors of winter. I do remember that come say April I'm delighted to see green outside again, but the seasonal changes are one of the things I miss. A rainy season just doesn't cut it for me.

Have you been able to visit the area you're moving to in the winter? Say, January?

Old 12-10-2007, 08:40 AM

1,032 posts, read 4,252,134 times
I've always lived in the northeast, but I think the place I lived that I loved most of all was Burlington, Vermont!!

It's just beautiful!

I like the seasons, and really enjoyed the longer, colder, snowier winters up in Vermont. When it snowed it was for real - none of this sleety slushy nonsense we get here in PA.

Old 12-10-2007, 08:45 AM

1,451 posts, read 2,472,348 times
I live in NH and I adore the snow!!!!!!!!!!! I moved from Florida (never saw snow in my life) and everyone tried to scare the crud outta me telling me its horrible, I'll be back in a year yadda yadda..... Firstly, they over exaggerated immensely.. Secondly if they're miserable in the snow, then thats their problem not mine. I'm miserable at the beach, in the sun and heat and humidity. and I hate palm trees, if I never see another it would be too soon. The snow is fun and beauitful.. yes you have to shovel( its not bad at all, people made it out to be some back breaking labor intensive chore), yes you have to scrape your windows.. Word to the wise, start your car, let the defroster run for just a couple mins,, when you go to scrape the ice will just slide right off. Plus it always feels like christmas. Last night I walked a couple houses down, chopped down a beautiful huge christmas tree, and dragged it home. Brought it inside, still had snow on it and twinkled in the light. I threw on some hot chocolate and ate some pumpkin pie.

Last edited by Tarastomsgirl; 12-10-2007 at 09:06 AM..

Old 12-10-2007, 10:03 AM

1,317 posts, read 5,258,205 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oc2nyc View Post
Just wondering if there are any people out there that actually like having a white holiday.
I was born and bred in So Cal and have never lived in the snow. I have wanted to live on the East Coast since I was 14, but have never had the chance. We may now, but it seems that everyone I talk to says, "You will hate it!"
"You will hate the cold and be back in So. Cal within a year."
I don't know if we can ever afford a house here with four kids to raise, but it seems like everyone else thinks the sacrifice is worth it not to deal with the snow, cold, and gloom of the East Coast. It seems to me someone has to like it or everyone would be on the West Coast. Any opnions?
4 Words=Stay where you are. Snow sucks, and it also ruins cars
and its unsafe to drive in. I grew up in Michigan,and remember snow
very well. I now live in CA, the Central coast and wouldnt live in snow
again. The only place I would consider would be New Mexico, in Alamogordo
or Las Cruces, the snow there is pretty harmless. But you get enough
to experience it.

Greenchili

Old 12-10-2007, 07:51 PM

649 posts, read 3,436,134 times
I suggest you try to find out how much the sun shines, wherever you are thinking of going. For me, I really think that the gloom (here in Ithaca, we call it "Ithagrey") gets me down more than anything. If it were just snowy, but SUNNY - like I hear it is in parts of Colorado - it might be much better. The snow is a lot prettier if the sun's out.

Old 12-10-2007, 11:27 PM

1,195 posts, read 5,398,197 times
Quote:
Just wondering if there are any people out there that actually like having a white holiday.
I was born and bred in So Cal and have never lived in the snow. I have wanted to live on the East Coast since I was 14, but have never had the chance. We may now, but it seems that everyone I talk to says, "You will hate it!"
I don't know if we can ever afford a house here with four kids to raise, but it seems like everyone else thinks the sacrifice is worth it not to deal with the snow, cold, and gloom of the East Coast. It seems to me someone has to like it or everyone would be on the West Coast. Any opnions?
Hmm, I was born and raised in Long Beach California moved to Alaska when I was 19 back in 1975. And it snow's up here

Old 12-11-2007, 12:02 AM

1,354 posts, read 6,358,666 times
I live in Northeastern Calif and we get snow. Some years we only get 2 feet all winter long. Some winters we get 15-20 feet total. I grew up in the valley where it never snowed, so it was a huge change. Our town is pretty good at not shutting down unless we get a huge amount overnight. Our schools usually have 3-4 snow days per year. I like where we live because the snow usually doesn't sit on the ground more then 5-7 days. Sometimes it melts off the next day. For us its fun unless we have tons of snow that sticks around like we did a few years ago. Then it got old FAST.

FYI - If you do move to a place where there is extreme cold, don't keep a bottle of de-icer in your car. It does no good when the car doors are frozen shut. We learned that one fast. LOL

Old 12-11-2007, 12:49 PM

5,835 posts, read 5,161,604 times
Quote:
oc...why did you want to live in the east coast at the age of 14? I am guessing by the oc in your name that you are in Orange County? I am orginially from Westlake Village in Ventura County and Sherman Oaks but moved to Concord Ma. with my little family one month ago. The way I felt about living in California was similiar to the movie Groundhogs Day. Same thing day in and day out. No huge change in the weather and ridiculously hot in the summer. After living in Va. and Ma. a few years ago and moving back to Ventura, all I could think about was getting back to Ma. It's not just how beautiful the snow is, but how most people don't grumble about the weather..they just plod along in there layers and go about their business with a good attitude. Living in New England, to me, is a gift from above. The beauty and old world charm is beyond words to me. When I drive down our main street after a snow I feel as if I am in a Norman Rockwell painting. I also love the people here. The warmest folks I have ever met. So willing to help and share useful tips to a newcomer without the fear in their eyes like people in Ca. that think you might attack them if you try and get their attention.
You might be interested in my past posts in the Ma. forums about trying to get back here for the last year. You'll see how wonderful the people are, and just look at the pics of this area....hope you make the move....more affordable than Ca., taxes are less, and the quality of life is wonderful especially with kids! DM if you need anything.

Old 12-11-2007, 07:03 PM

543 posts, read 1,893,582 times
Puffle,
Yes, I live in Orange County, CA.
My first experience going east was when my family went to MA for my dad's business. I was 14 and I loved it! Even in the middle of summer, with the heat and humidity.
After college I a married someone who grew up in Long Beach, CA and had just returned from living in VA for two years. His family came back at the request of his mother, who hated it there. He and the rest of his family wanted to stay, but gave into her request. We visited VA many times and I wanted to stay every time. We tried to relocate, but we were given a lot of grief from our parents because we had just had our first child. I finally just gave up and thought I would be in CA forever, much to my dismay.
I then divorced and remarried a guy that is from the East Coast, but was raised out here in Seal Beach. Again we have visied the East Coast many, many times because his parents retired to CT, and he is close to his cousins in NJ. I love everything about the east. I love the landscape, the change of seasons, the history, the charm. I adore NYC, and go whenever I can. I do realize though that visiting is a whole different thing than living. I am not blind to the fact that the west and east are different in many ways. That said, I still have a dream to one day live back there, even if just for a few years to give it a try. If you mention that to anyone here in OC they will immediatley be negative to you. So many people want out of here, and complain about the traffic, cost of living, etc. Yet when someone says they are moving, they must be jealous, because they will only tell you the negative of moving to the East Coast. I appreciate everyone's positive remarks here regarding adapting to your environment. I think living in a new environment is an adventure and hopefully I will get to experience it!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > General Moving Issues