Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > General Moving Issues
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-25-2014, 02:11 PM

4,932 posts, read 12,760,223 times

Advertisements

Hi,

I am interning for a social service department right now, and I have been offered a job at the end of the internship. I will start working in August. I will be making $40,000 a year. I have an indoor cat too. I didn't mention on craigslist i have a cat. The small city i am looking at has a university with 20,000 students so i said i am looking for college post college male and preferably christian.

That is when I will need a place.

Regards,

the city
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-26-2014, 07:03 AM

3,490 posts, read 6,098,599 times
I looked that far before moving. I was renting an actual apartment as opposed to room share and still looked that far in advance.

Congrats on the job.

Don't discriminate based on religion. Not only would it be illegal for anyone rooming with you to post discrimination, being around people with other beliefs will help you become a more intelligent person.

Old 04-26-2014, 03:23 PM

14,785 posts, read 24,083,908 times
I would def say no because some rentals have waiting list and you have to get on the list and sometimes even then you cant get in those apts ...just got to do what you have to do .

Old 04-26-2014, 04:04 PM

14,539 posts, read 21,257,489 times
I was looking at houses, for rental or buying, as soon as I got home from the trip I decided to move. I also read up on the area and started following my house as soon as it was listed, watching the price drop by half. And I learned as much as I could before I even told anyone.

Renting, I'd check areas and prices and availability first and any other info you can get. You can't prepare too soon for a move. Three months is active research/search/prepacking time.

Good luck and even if it feels too early do it anyway.

Old 04-26-2014, 07:09 PM

4,932 posts, read 12,760,223 times
Yeah I think it could be six months now until I am ready to move out of my parent's place. I guess I have to wait it out a little longer. My parents said to live at home while I start my job and save up a little more cash.

It's a very hectic situation I got myself into. I was really planning on getting a sales job, but after 3 failed interviews and no call backs from anyone else and two of the three being inconsiderate. One sales interviewer was 20 minutes late and was kinda rude during the interview and one sales company lied to me over the phone saying I got the job and 2 weeks later I find the guy didn't like me at all and they wanted offer me a terrible telemarketing job instead.

Then at my marketing internship, my supervisor (who I found out to be gay) got inappropriate by taking his shirt off around me at times, so I had to leave my internship ASAP and to rush to find a new internship. Which lead me to the county social services, which from the beginning wanted me to intern there, but I turned them down at the time because sales meant more money.

So I met with the county again and the supervisor helped me edit my cover letter, within a week had an interview, and within the next week they said they will get me in as an intern for the Summer and in the Fall they will get me an administrative aid or social worker aid job until the next year's social worker jobs open up. Then I realized I need an internship right now as well, so then I sent out emails and freaking out what to do and I found the homeless shelter would take me on and my intern advisor said if the homeless shelter doesn't work out he would count my hours during Summer. I am like, woah, thank goodness for carrying progressive people in this world.

Through all this, I learned the government is better than corporations. I feel some gov workers go in there knowing they won't make as much in the private sector and they go in with the intention to help people and our government is held accountable by people. No one holds a corporation accountable.

Old 04-30-2014, 08:23 AM

32,932 posts, read 36,351,383 times
I would start looking for a place once I had secured a permanent position.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > General Moving Issues