Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > General Moving Issues
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-30-2014, 10:00 AM

54 posts, read 96,539 times

Advertisements

Hello-

First, I want to say thank you for all the advice you guys have given. Very helpful and alleviates the stress of planning and moving. Original plan has changed! I'm actually going to drive from MA to Dallas during July 4th weekend with my bf who'll fly up and then we're renting a car (my car is unreliable). Big adventure. Farthest I've ever drove was BOS-DC and that's not to move.

THE QUESTION (estimated trip would take 27 hours - 2 or 3 days)

• What should I start planning?
  • Is there a good route to take from Southern Massachusetts to Dallas? With good food and sights! but quick.
  • Do I have to make reservations in advance for motels/hotels?
  • What type of vehicle should I rent that won't guzzle up gas? Probably renting with Thrifty (discount!). I don't have any big furniture to move. So no tow thingie needed.
  • Should we rely on our phone's GPS? I'll print out directions using Google maps just in case.
  • If a big if, If I decide to bring a cat. Any advice on how to transport a cat?
  • Advice on staying awake? No to red bull.

2-3 boxes of stuff will be shipped via UPS if it doesn't fit in the car. My desktop computer is coming with me everywhere... definitely hiding it from plain view. Bringing lots of snacks.

Thank you again!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-30-2014, 12:09 PM

Correction. Not using Thrifty. Budget actually cheaper for long distance >,<

Old 04-30-2014, 12:16 PM

7,244 posts, read 7,066,230 times
Have you considered flying instead?

I think this far in advance you could get good rates. When you compare that to two nights in a hotel, rental car, gas I expect you'll find the price is not that different - plus - only half a day of travel compared to 3.

Old 04-30-2014, 12:26 PM

7,244 posts, read 7,066,230 times
For example: If you flew out Thursday night from Boston on Southwest (2 free checked bags!) and were willing to have a stopover (no plane change) in St. Louis - total travel time 5.25 hours - it would cost $243.00

Old 04-30-2014, 02:07 PM

878 posts, read 1,206,787 times
I wouldn't take that drive unless you had absolutely no choice.. you can even take the cat on Southwest for $100 (in cabin).

Old 04-30-2014, 06:03 PM

67,650 posts, read 60,853,687 times
I've driven from central Texas (Fort Hood) to Maryland (Aberdeen Proving Ground). It was one heck of a drive, and I did it with a U Haul, four kids under age 7 and a cat. If I can survive that, you can certainly pull this off!

Actually most of it wasn't unpleasant. I took four days to do it because I didn't want to push the kids too much, but I could have done it in three comfortable days if I'd been by myself. Personally I enjoy driving and seeing sights.

I also took a bit longer because I drove through the scenic part of the Shenandoah Mountains - but darn it, I wanted to see those mountains. I didn't take the more southern route (I-20 through LA, MS, AL, GA, SC, NC, VA, MD, etc) but that's another good way to go - less scenic but an easier drive. I went up through AR, TN, NC, VA, MD - that route. It really was beautiful and I don't regret going that way.

If I were you I'd invest in a navigation system (TomTom or Garmin sort). I think that would be very helpful and easier and more reliable than trying to use your phone. Of course, when I did it, we didn't even have navigation systems - I used a big road atlas!

Good luck!

Old 04-30-2014, 06:04 PM

3,605 posts, read 9,055,148 times
A couple things to check. First the one way drop off charge with the rental car and also if they allow a cat in it without a penalty or additional cleaning fee.

Old 04-30-2014, 07:23 PM

Oh gawd. Thank you guys. I did an in-depth research after posting this and as some of you have pointed out. Flying is more cost efficient and fast. I'll avoid the drive haahaha. Again, thank you.

I hope this thread helps someone in the future ^_^

Old 05-01-2014, 08:27 AM

If anyone was wondering ...
Renting a car during July 3rd dropping off a different location...the cost of car 2 or 4 door compact is: $1,071.96Taxes and fees: $1,380.02 TOTAL (USD) Not including insurance. Yowzers. And my Southwest tickets cost $120 one way. Cost of shipping Desktop Computer, Two monitors = $250 or $300. Cost to ship 4 large boxes of clothes, valuables, and books = under $200.

Yurp.

Old 05-01-2014, 08:44 AM

552 posts, read 834,460 times
I did this a few years back..... i highly recommend stopping in places you know you'll never go to in your life. I knew i would never travel to Maryland or west Virginia, so i made it a goal to check the states out.

Also, avoid NYC, go through northern part of Pennsylvania instead ( it's a little bit out of the way but the scenic drive is better going through the mountains than it is fight NYC traffic and confusing streets/ expensive tolls.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > General Moving Issues