U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > General Moving Issues
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-01-2014, 09:01 AM

5,052 posts, read 5,980,760 times

Advertisements

OP, there's nothing wrong with moving for a better salary or "more responsibility." You can say things such as you liked your previous job but felt ready for more challenges, but you went as far as you could go with that particular job (if true).

TX has a better economy than CT right now, so relocation there for "greater opportunities" wouldn't be frowned upon. Also, like ElleTea, moving for better weather would also be understood.

I agree with you on higher standards for white collar positions, but I also know that the culture is somewhat more relaxed the farther west you go.

Two things to watch: the TX summers are very different -- HOT! And the SW culture may take a little getting used to. In my opinion it's different in the sense that folks work very hard but play hard, as well.

I'm more of a moderate personality, a much better fit for the Midwest. And I'm generalizing a bit! I can't speak to the gay culture specifically.

But I still strongly encourage you to take a short trip and check it out.

If you can find decent work there, I'd suggest Columbus, OH might be a better fit, coming from CT and looking for less NYC-type folks but being OK with the weather (and it is less brutal overall). The economy isn't great, though. I left there last Aug. for Des Moines.

(and I think you posted in the Cols forum at one time, as I recall . . .)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-01-2014, 09:03 AM

1,716 posts, read 1,582,663 times
Yes, it's a fantastic plan.

Old 05-01-2014, 09:32 AM

35,325 posts, read 25,058,461 times
Sure, and it is a good idea to attend a college you've never visited as well (sarcasm)

Old 05-01-2014, 10:16 AM

14,312 posts, read 7,883,410 times
The flip side of visiting can leave you even more confused. I could live in every single town we visited in Maine. I think the house will finally dictate where we settle.

Old 05-01-2014, 10:42 AM

11,145 posts, read 14,081,903 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ElleTea View Post
You have $60K? Yeah, that should suffice. I moved with MUCH less cash! MUCH MUCH less!

I guess it boils down to this...if you want to move, move. If you don't, stay put. Sounds like you want to stay put.
I know, but I don't want to put my $60K at risk, you know? I'm surprised you took such a big risk with much less cash! But it looks like you found a job right away, which is fortunate.

In my opinion, weather is not a professional reason for wanting to relocate somewhere and would probably be frowned upon to prospective employers. My reasons would be: pursuit of a lifestyle change, better economics and housing, and steer the direction of my career.

Old 05-01-2014, 10:48 AM

9,040 posts, read 9,466,130 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nep321 View Post
I know, but I don't want to put my $60K at risk, you know? I'm surprised you took such a big risk with much less cash! But it looks like you found a job right away, which is fortunate.

In my opinion, weather is not a professional reason for wanting to relocate somewhere and would probably be frowned upon to prospective employers. My reasons would be: pursuit of a lifestyle change, better economics and housing, and steer the direction of my career.
I took about 5 weeks off when I got here before looking for a job. Once I started to look, I did find one right away. When all asked me "why" I moved, I said "the weather" without hesitation. No one questioned it. Maybe not a "professional" reason, but still a valid one. Why you choose to move is a personal choice.

Life is about taking risks. I chose to do so rather than stay where I was and be miserable.

Old 05-01-2014, 11:34 AM

5,052 posts, read 5,980,760 times
OP, CT has brutal winters, as does IA. I doubt any employer in AZ held that against ElleTea, as I doubt anyone in TX would hold it against you.

But you're right: those other reasons sound stronger.

Old 05-01-2014, 11:41 AM

11,145 posts, read 14,081,903 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Meemur View Post
OP, CT has brutal winters, as does IA. I doubt any employer in AZ held that against ElleTea, as I doubt anyone in TX would hold it against you.

But you're right: those other reasons sound stronger.
Yeah I suppose you're right. ElleTea got lucky though. Phoenix isn't strong on accounting jobs on a per capita basis compared to the national average. However, she was in a different position than I was. I left my previous job with NO job lined up, in late 2012, which is pretty recent. And if I attempt to do the same thing again this summer, I can't imagine how employers would feel about that.

But the scariest thing is to lose all my savings that I worked hard for over the past 8 years. I am not the type who likes to take high risk ventures in life. I don't believe in that. In fact, I sold 100% of my investments late in 2013 and am just preserving the cash now. I feel so much more secure like that.

Old 05-01-2014, 11:44 AM

4,559 posts, read 7,035,039 times
well, seems you have two separate issues here....one, moving again so quickly and two, you don't have any idea where you want to move to. I would spend some time narrowing down your search as far as cities, and then visit them. You can also call headhunters in those cities and see what the job market is like for tax accountants. Most places it's very good.

You might want to check out the websites for the Big 4 accounting firms (they all have large tax departments), they post all their openings and are open to "experienced hires".

In the western part of the country, people are used to folks coming and going, it's very transient. Not like New England where people don't move much, they stay around their families forever.

Old 05-01-2014, 12:17 PM

1,971 posts, read 2,485,572 times
The thing about accounting is that no employer is going to recruit someone out of the area for an accounting job. Thus, if you want to move somewhere, you will have to just do it. If you are not up for that risk (most people who become accountants are not) then you will never move. That said, there are accounting jobs everywhere so if you have solid work history it's probably a lot less risky than you are imagining.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > General Moving Issues