Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > General Moving Issues
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-01-2014, 12:36 PM

11,669 posts, read 17,937,475 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by loveautumn View Post
well, seems you have two separate issues here....one, moving again so quickly and two, you don't have any idea where you want to move to. I would spend some time narrowing down your search as far as cities, and then visit them. You can also call headhunters in those cities and see what the job market is like for tax accountants. Most places it's very good.

You might want to check out the websites for the Big 4 accounting firms (they all have large tax departments), they post all their openings and are open to "experienced hires".

In the western part of the country, people are used to folks coming and going, it's very transient. Not like New England where people don't move much, they stay around their families forever.
Oh hell no...I'm not working at a Big 4 firm again. Been there, done that. They had me working up to 70 hours a week, 10 weekends per year, etc. It's horrible. Currently I work 40 hours a week, never work weekends and get 23 PTO days per year and I love it. And an annual bonus that is 20% of annual salary, for a total of $90K.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-01-2014, 01:10 PM

2,094 posts, read 1,924,863 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nep321 View Post
Do you think it's a good idea to pursue employment and plan to relocate somewhere that sounds good on paper, but you've never visited even once?

A couple years ago, I did tons of research and concluded that I wanted to move to Denver. However, when I visited Denver afterward, the general area did not appeal to me at all. I was a bit shocked at how hippie/liberal it was, and my research didn't quite paint an accurate picture enough as to how the place was in real life. I mean, I KNEW that it was a liberal environment, but just the way people carried themselves, their appearances/styles, flannel shirts, guys with long hair, goth girls, snow hats, etc. just weren't quite captured in my research. I just couldn't see myself fitting in there culturally. I spent hours looking at various spots in the area on Google Maps street view, but in real life it just appeared and felt different than I had imagined. So I decided not to move there.

But now my research is telling me that a few places in the country might be good for me, but I've never been to them. So I don't know what to do.

What would be your best advice on this matter?
That sounds like half the people moving to Austin

Old 05-01-2014, 04:53 PM

4,505 posts, read 6,479,590 times
YES! It's a great idea! Here are others:

Marrying someone you've never met
Buying a used car sight unseen
Wiring money to a foreigner to receive your 15,000,000 inheritance
Betting it all on black

Old 05-01-2014, 05:19 PM

10,350 posts, read 13,925,188 times
Quote:
I know, but they're less likely to invite you to an interview in person, if they know you've never been to a place before.
And you have to tell them you've never been there? This sounds like a really poor excuse for not trying to relocate somewhere.

Old 05-01-2014, 05:37 PM

11,669 posts, read 17,937,475 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WyoEagle View Post
And you have to tell them you've never been there? This sounds like a really poor excuse for not trying to relocate somewhere.
Well I'm not going to lie to them. Geez.

Old 05-01-2014, 05:40 PM

4,899 posts, read 6,221,245 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cyborgt800 View Post
YES! It's a great idea! Here are others:

Marrying someone you've never met
Buying a used car sight unseen
Wiring money to a foreigner to receive your 15,000,000 inheritance
Betting it all on black
15,000,000 reps to you.

Old 05-01-2014, 05:55 PM

5,103 posts, read 8,602,405 times
Op, I'll make two more suggestions.

1. Over the course of several days make some personal, private lists:

A. What you hope to get out of your move in terms of personal and career goals
B. Pros/Cons of staying where you are vs. moving

Put those lists somewhere easy to find, either a hard copy journal or computer file. Refer to them as the project progresses. How reasonable are your expectations? You won't know for awhile, yet.

2. Narrow down the places where you want to move to your top 2 - 3. Research the cost of the cheapest plane fare, rentals, hotels. Let's say it would cost you $628 for three days in City X. Start saving money for these trips. See the Frugal living forum for ideas if necessary. For example, I save tons of money brown-bagging it on days I don't work from home.

Before you go, try to line up some interviews or at least informational interviews.

Go!

If you have your heart set on moving to Houston, then fast-track your saving and get it together for a quick trip out there, again set up what you can ahead of time.

Back in the 1980s when Southwest had cheap $99 flights, I flew to many of Southwestern's hubs for several days. That was how I established places that I DID NOT want to live, and from all that, I concluded that I belong in the Midwest as long as my body will stand the winters.

I transferred to Des Moines for work without knowing it really well, but I knew from several visits that I would be fine and even bought a house because renting for me was just too problematic.

It's all fine, but I'm building on the fact that I know I can live nearly anywhere in the Midwest and be OK.

I wish the same for you! Good luck.

Old 05-01-2014, 06:23 PM

5,103 posts, read 8,602,405 times
HA! I just saw this article:

Half of IL and CT residents want to move! There's your excuse.

Half in Illinois and Connecticut Want to Move Elsewhere

We're crawling with IL residents who fled here to escape the taxes.

Old 05-01-2014, 09:02 PM

248 posts, read 340,734 times
Google Maps are typically photographed on Sundays when the cars can get around easier with less traffic, especially for cities. Keep that in mind if you see some city-scape and wonder where all the people are, or figure from that that your commute will be a piece of cake. And Google maps also has a 'traffic' feature that will let you tell it what time you'll be driving through an area and it will tell you the typical crunch/crash points and how long the drive will really take you. I've found them to be correct to the minute most of the time.

Old 05-01-2014, 09:57 PM

10,350 posts, read 13,925,188 times
Quote:
Well I'm not going to lie to them. Geez.
People ask you if you've been there before they interview you? I've never been asked that. They just have said can you come for an interview and I come to the interview.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > General Moving Issues