Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > General Moving Issues
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-07-2014, 10:03 AM

21,695 posts, read 28,437,452 times

Advertisements

Of course you don't have to have $60,000 but the more money you do have when you relocate the better. It usually takes more than people realize and all too often they come up short especially if there is no job waiting for them. You see this time and time again on CD relocation forums.

It will depend upon an individual's circumstances. A single person may need need as much as a family but savings can go very quickly especially if the COL is higher in the new place than the old. And I think no matter how carefully anyone plans, there are always those pesky unexpected expenses that come up and eat away at that savings account.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-07-2014, 05:00 PM

11,669 posts, read 17,940,725 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ElleTea View Post
Never take a risk. Seriously. You and your money should just stay put. If you move and blow through $60K in a matter of months, you should really just not even consider going anywhere. it doesn't take that kind of cash to move, unless you are using that as a downpayment on a house. It just doesn't. I can guarantee that if you sat at a rest area on a major interstate and interviewed every person you saw with a UHaul (and there are a LOT), not many are going to say they have nearly that much money in savings.

People "up and relocate" all the time. This forum is proof of that. I've only changed cities twice, but both times it was with no job first. It happens every day. Nearly everyone I have met at my job now has moved here for the weather with no job first. They just took a risk and did it. And it was worth it.

Don't do it.
Yes, but those are primarily people who do not have lucrative careers and are well educated. People that do that tend to be low-wage workers who have nothing to lose by "upping and relocating." A white collar professional accountant with a master's degree is not expected to just up and leave with no job lined up. And I have a full UHAUL truck's worth of stuff that would need to be transported.

Old 05-08-2014, 08:18 AM

9,480 posts, read 12,288,122 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nep321 View Post
Yes, but those are primarily people who do not have lucrative careers and are well educated. People that do that tend to be low-wage workers who have nothing to lose by "upping and relocating." A white collar professional accountant with a master's degree is not expected to just up and leave with no job lined up. And I have a full UHAUL truck's worth of stuff that would need to be transported.
Wow. You have just insulted a vast majority of people who move cross country. Just WOW!!! It is amazing anyone manages to even drive anywhere outside of their own zip code with no ed-u-ma-cay-shun and those crappy low-wage jobs. You have a FULL UHAUL? Wow. No one that moves EVER has their stuff with them!

I have an education and left a VERY good job behind. EVERYONE has something to lose. But, looking down from your high horse, I guess the rest of the world is just not as well off as you.

Stay where you are. PLEASE.

Old 05-08-2014, 10:55 AM

16,553 posts, read 10,611,270 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nep321 View Post
Sacramento does seem like I might like it, but like I said, there's barely any jobs in my field there.

DC/Nova doesn't seem like I would like it at all. I mean, I'm currently living in Fairfield County, CT, which is ultra expensive, fast paced and traffic ridden. Why would I want to move somewhere that's similar? It just doesn't appeal to me. But I appreciate the suggestion.

I'm in panic mode now. My rent is going up to $1,750 starting next month (for my 1 bd apartment) because it's month-to-month so that I can get out of here soon. I am dying to leave Fairfield County, CT but still don't know where to move to. I could either play it safe and move back up to Hartford County, CT or move somewhere new. I guess I'm panicking because I want my decision to be for the long term. I can't afford to just "try" a place and see if I like it. I can't change jobs that much and keep moving like that. I'm going to be 30 years old and I'm a white collar professional who must maintain some level of stability in my career and life in order to be taken as a serious candidate.

I'm really depressed about it and don't know what to do. I really like Connecticut, as it's a beautiful state and my family is here, but it's quite expensive and there's not enough younger gay people in my age group (late 20's/early 30's). But I've already had the experience of living in NYC for two years and it drained me. I simply can't live in big, fast paced, expensive cities ever again. It sucks though, because if the gay population in CT was larger and better quality, I would love to stay.
If you don't like Fairfield County, CT, odds are you won't like Northern Virginia, either.

I'm going to stick with my original advice to you, which is to move back to Hartford County. It seems like that's the only place about which you don't feel panicked.

Nevertheless, it seems like you've got two situations going: (1) the availability of jobs in your field, and (2) the quality and quantity of gay people in the area. I can't speak to the second one, but may I suggest you post something along the lines of "Looking for a small city with a decent-sized population of gay people in their early 30s" or something like that. See what responses you get, and see if any of the places mentioned happen to coincide with the other characteristics you're looking for.

Old 05-08-2014, 10:58 AM

16,553 posts, read 10,611,270 times
Quote:
Do you think that the 1000s of people a year that up and relocate really have to have more than $60K in savings first?
Probably not, but I'm not seeing how that's relevant to the discussion at hand. The OP has clearly stated that he wants to protect as much of his nest egg as possible. So whether he can move on $60,000 or $6,000 or $6 is not the point; the point is, he wants to limit his financial exposure as much as possible.

Old 05-08-2014, 11:00 AM

9,480 posts, read 12,288,122 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bus man View Post
Probably not, but I'm not seeing how that's relevant to the discussion at hand. The OP has clearly stated that he wants to protect as much of his nest egg as possible. So whether he can move on $60,000 or $6,000 or $6 is not the point; the point is, he wants to limit his financial exposure as much as possible.
It is VERY relevant. If he is not willing to part with a cent of his cash, he should not move or take any other risks with it.

My advice was STAY PUT.

Old 05-08-2014, 11:14 AM

2,533 posts, read 4,602,254 times
Quote:
It is VERY relevant. If he is not willing to part with a cent of his cash, he should not move or take any other risks with it.

My advice was STAY PUT.
Absolutely.

The less risks you take in life the better your chances of being the richest person in the graveyard!

Old 05-08-2014, 11:35 AM

5,103 posts, read 8,604,523 times
Quote:
but may I suggest you post something along the lines of "Looking for a small city with a decent-sized population of gay people in their early 30s" or something like that.
Among the best pieces of advice on this thread, I think. I not sure that C-D has a large gay readership, so the OP may need to ask in other venues, as well.

Old 05-08-2014, 04:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Meemur View Post
Among the best pieces of advice on this thread, I think. I not sure that C-D has a large gay readership, so the OP may need to ask in other venues, as well.
There are ways to sort of see the size of the gay population in a particular area. What I do, is go onto gay dating websites and simply run a search for a particular area and see the number of individual profiles/members for the area. It's probably not totally accurate, because obviously not everyone uses such websites, but it's still a reasonable indicator.

Old 05-08-2014, 04:14 PM

Quote:

My advice was STAY PUT.
I'm willing to lose maybe a few thousand, but look...I'm about to turn 30 and I have a nest egg and don't want to jeopardize it. Especially because I may want to buy a home in the near future.

Plus, in order to get an apartment, the landlord wants to see that you have proof of income. Good luck on getting approved for an apartment with no job.

It would be nice to see what types of people on this website actually make these types of moves. It would be interesting to see what their actual education level is, their individual character, among other things. If I were to tell any of my friends or family that I'm planning to up and leave with no job lined up, they would be like

I can't even imagine getting through an interview and having to explain to the employer that I moved with no job lined up at the age of 30. Just imagine what they will think.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > General Moving Issues