Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > General Moving Issues
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-29-2014, 04:59 PM

11,669 posts, read 17,940,725 times

Advertisements

Do you think it's a good idea to pursue employment and plan to relocate somewhere that sounds good on paper, but you've never visited even once?

A couple years ago, I did tons of research and concluded that I wanted to move to Denver. However, when I visited Denver afterward, the general area did not appeal to me at all. I was a bit shocked at how hippie/liberal it was, and my research didn't quite paint an accurate picture enough as to how the place was in real life. I mean, I KNEW that it was a liberal environment, but just the way people carried themselves, their appearances/styles, flannel shirts, guys with long hair, goth girls, snow hats, etc. just weren't quite captured in my research. I just couldn't see myself fitting in there culturally. I spent hours looking at various spots in the area on Google Maps street view, but in real life it just appeared and felt different than I had imagined. So I decided not to move there.

But now my research is telling me that a few places in the country might be good for me, but I've never been to them. So I don't know what to do.

What would be your best advice on this matter?
Quick reply to this message

Old 04-29-2014, 05:10 PM

5,103 posts, read 8,604,523 times
You need to visit!

You are a unique individual with memories and desires! There really is no substitute for "boots on the ground" research. How else will you know whether the tap water tastes OK for you and there are plenty of available foods you like to eat within your budget?

You can save a little money if you can get really clear about either what you are seeking or don't want. For example, I can't deal with massive big city crowds or prolonged heat, so places like NYC or Atlanta are on my "no" list. I also have income restrictions, so that cuts out lots of other places.

If you don't have clear preferences, you might have to live several places (and make a few mistakes) before you find your home. Visiting can help you avoid serious mis-steps.

But just read the forum . . . lots of people make mistakes. It's how we all grow.

And there are a few tales of people who just went there -- ElleTea with her move from Iowa to Phoenix is one -- so people do it . . . they are much braver than I!

Old 04-29-2014, 05:32 PM

25,948 posts, read 22,098,104 times
We have relocated a few times to places without visiting first. It is an "adventure" if that is what you are looking for but if you are looking for a more permanent place, it is not such a good idea. It is very difficult to pull off because of all of the unknowns. Visiting first? Visiting isn't like living there but gives you a make or break sort of deal if it really is just flat out unappealing to you. We were just talking about this today as we get ready for another move and I remembered having read that you should move to a place that is familiar for the best chance of success with the move. We looked at what is familiar and if I had to bet, we'll probably go for the "adventure" yet again. If Utopia existed, we'd be there and not looking for the next "adventure". We did return to a couple of places after being gone for 3 years and they had totally changed, not for the better. It is just really tough to move to a new place, to know where the decent neighborhoods are any more, to deal with all the elements of the move. In some places, you would never be accepted and this is more likely in smaller communities but can happen in neighborhoods. My best advice is that if you move, have an exit plan in place. A lot of people move and get trapped in a place that they hate and they can't get out and you don't want to end up like that. Best of luck and there is much to be said for "adventure".

Old 04-29-2014, 06:27 PM

14,785 posts, read 24,075,496 times
Best thing you can do is indeed have an exit plan have another city in mind after say a year of renting and know you don't like your current location .

Old 04-29-2014, 07:00 PM

36,853 posts, read 17,354,720 times
I've visited many places that would be great for me to move to based on paper/stats. Some have proven to "feel" like they would be doable if I ever decided moving there while others just didn't click with me.

The two most notable examples would be Seattle and the Lake Tahoe area. They are great on paper for me (COOL weather, extreme heat kept in check, physical beauty, and while COL is high reasonably-priced housing exists).

Don't get me wrong: they are still great to visit but Seattle felt so isolated and cliquish while Tahoe's young party crowd just annoyed the heck out of me.

One place that I would have never thought of putting on my list was Albuquerque. Visited and loved it.

Ultimately it depends on the person. I'd visit anywhere I planned on moving first.

Old 04-30-2014, 02:46 AM

7,103 posts, read 5,980,967 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nep321 View Post
Do you think it's a good idea to pursue employment and plan to relocate somewhere that sounds good on paper, but you've never visited even once?

A couple years ago, I did tons of research and concluded that I wanted to move to Denver. However, when I visited Denver afterward, the general area did not appeal to me at all. I was a bit shocked at how hippie/liberal it was, and my research didn't quite paint an accurate picture enough as to how the place was in real life. I mean, I KNEW that it was a liberal environment, but just the way people carried themselves, their appearances/styles, flannel shirts, guys with long hair, goth girls, snow hats, etc. just weren't quite captured in my research. I just couldn't see myself fitting in there culturally. I spent hours looking at various spots in the area on Google Maps street view, but in real life it just appeared and felt different than I had imagined. So I decided not to move there.

But now my research is telling me that a few places in the country might be good for me, but I've never been to them. So I don't know what to do.

What would be your best advice on this matter?
It happens all the time, but if it were I, I would want to visit prior to relocating.

Old 04-30-2014, 03:12 AM

19,719 posts, read 16,833,054 times
I've moved multiple times to places I have never seen. Moved to North Carolina, then Southern California, and finally, Florida, where I am now. I just treated it as an adventure and something that could be reversed if it didn't work out.

I think part of it is that I was more adventurous when I was younger. We would pull into some new city/State in our U Haul and then start looking for a place to live. Today that would scare me to death. As we age we like stability a little more and are less prone to taking risks.

But we survived it and got to see some places we might not have been able to see otherwise.

Don

Old 04-30-2014, 03:17 AM

3,199 posts, read 7,825,049 times
Since you have experienced this before with a state looking good when researched but not in person why do you feel this time would be different? Especially since you stated you have a couple places in mind.
I also believe it depends on what point in life you are at. Are you working, retired, do you have savings?
Why not plan a trip for even a week and see it in person? I have moved a lot and also did short trips to see how I felt about a place. Obviously you cant really know till you are there but it can at least give you a feel.

Old 04-30-2014, 06:48 AM

3,930 posts, read 6,441,479 times
We have lived in Texas all our lives, but we have visited Florida for years, have timeshares there. So, after this last year, we used our knowledge of Florida to decide to move there. We spent several months digging down into several areas, housing types, etc, and then spent time in the market area to decide for sure before pulling the trigger.

We closed on our new home yesterday in Port Charlotte.

Old 04-30-2014, 08:31 AM

5,724 posts, read 7,480,512 times
I do not believe it matters. I visited the place I moved to three times and it did not work out. Treat it is an adventure and do not have any expectations. If you do not like it then move on.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > General Moving Issues