Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > General Moving Issues
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-08-2014, 10:19 AM

9,480 posts, read 12,290,797 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by abbybernstein View Post
This is kind of a silly question (maybe?), but what sort of companies can pick up furniture from our home that we want to donate? They would need to bring it down flights of stairs in my townhome for me.

Can you tell I haven't moved long distance before?
Call Goodwill, Salvation Army, or DAV in your town. They often will come get the big stuff.

Old 05-08-2014, 10:22 AM

1,107 posts, read 2,278,570 times
Goodwill and Veterans groups and Salvation Army--but I dont think any of them will bring it down flights of stairs in a townhome. You might want to check with Habitat for Humanity.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-08-2014, 11:22 AM

24 posts, read 53,789 times
I'm considering more and more to not bring any furniture at all. Would we still need movers? If we could avoid movers, that would be nice... but oh my goodness, we'd need EVERYTHING once we arrived. Starting from scratch seems so difficult, too.

Old 05-08-2014, 11:35 AM

1,971 posts, read 3,043,610 times
It's pretty easy to move even though it sounds overwhelming. I've moved across country five times.

Given that you can keep your relo money I'd suggest getting rid of all your furniture unless it's really nice. Most relocation agreements I've had stipulated that I could use the relocation allotment for almost anything moving related besides buying new stuff. Make sure you're good on that. If the relocation reimbursement is cash, IKEA is cheap for temp stuff and some of the higher priced stuff actually isn't so bad for permanent.

Other stuff I'd get rid of: books, clothing, towels, dishes, kitchen stuff, bedding, tools, etc.

Regarding babies, you never know. The kid might like being in the car. I did a tour of Australia with my sister and niece before she was 1yr and the kid slept 80% of the time, more than usual. Not sure if that is normal. That said, the USA is a grand and impressive land with many long forgettable stretches one could miss without too much regret so flying isn't a bad choice, either.

Old 05-08-2014, 11:41 AM

9,317 posts, read 21,000,428 times
Most Airlines have "Hot" out Dates they will not transport of Pets in the hold, Many are from X to Y dates.
Other are if the temp is over H anyplace (Departure , Connection, Arrival airports) Pet Does not fly that day. (They also have Low temp No Fly temp's also).

Depending on the Car/Age/Value I would look to get rid of 1 car in DC. Put all the "Importation" stuff in the Car that is driving there.

Since you will have to Move/Pod Some Stuff Figure out how much will fit in the pod. And prioritize what goes in, what get left behind.

Cat 1. Has to move (Kitchen Stuff (non-food), Towels, Sheets etc, Cloths, BabyStuff Etc.)
Cat 3. Stuff we don't need to move. (Donate / Get rid of soon)

Cat 2. Stuff you would like to move if you have space. But wound not get upset if it moved into Cat 3.

Old 05-08-2014, 11:45 AM

14,945 posts, read 12,139,254 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rzzz View Post
It's pretty easy to move even though it sounds overwhelming. I've moved across country five times.

Given that you can keep your relo money I'd suggest getting rid of all your furniture unless it's really nice. Most relocation agreements I've had stipulated that I could use the relocation allotment for almost anything moving related besides buying new stuff. Make sure you're good on that. If the relocation reimbursement is cash, IKEA is cheap for temp stuff and some of the higher priced stuff actually isn't so bad for permanent.

Other stuff I'd get rid of: books, clothing, towels, dishes, kitchen stuff, bedding, tools, etc.

Regarding babies, you never know. The kid might like being in the car. I did a tour of Australia with my sister and niece before she was 1yr and the kid slept 80% of the time, more than usual. Not sure if that is normal. That said, the USA is a grand and impressive land with many long forgettable stretches one could miss without too much regret so flying isn't a bad choice, either.

LOL, well, you know what they do with babies who're restless and crying because of colic, and just need to be calmed down.... they take them for rides in the car.

I'd figure that either driving or flying would be ok for the baby. If the OP's driving with the baby and the dog ( and that's probably the way I'd do it, since the husband would be there too), they'd likely need to stop every few hours, get out of the car and stretch, let the dog do his business, change and feed the baby, let the baby stretch, all that sort of thing- it wouldn't make for a fast trip across the US, but it would make it more enjoyable and be less hard on all involved.

I guess this is something most experienced parents who've flown with kids already know, but I thought it worth putting out there, that babies and small children often cry when the planes take off and land, because the change in atmospheric pressure makes their ears uncomfortable or hurt, and they don't know to swallow to make it better. Giving the baby a little water in a bottle may help with that. Or if it coincides with feeding time, the baby's already swallowing.

As for the move, I'd get rid of as much as possible too- especially if the OP is moving from a house into a smaller apartment. That way there's no worry about where to put everything, or storage for the items that don't fit.

Old 05-08-2014, 12:08 PM

2,319 posts, read 3,050,958 times
Really with the baby just think of it as taking a plane ride! Try to give him/her a bottle during takeoff and landing to avoid getting the ears plugged up. Some give drugs but I think a bottle is sufficient.

Old 05-08-2014, 12:12 PM

12,169 posts, read 17,644,605 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Molli View Post
Really with the baby just think of it as taking a plane ride! Try to give him/her a bottle during takeoff and landing to avoid getting the ears plugged up. Some give drugs but I think a bottle is sufficient.
On the plus side, the baby is not even old enough to say, "are we there yet?"

Old 05-08-2014, 12:23 PM

7,280 posts, read 10,948,582 times
The strange thing was in the opening comment, have a dog ....oh BTW, have a baby too. Thought it would be the other way around for sure.

Old 05-08-2014, 12:58 PM

24 posts, read 53,789 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mack Knife View Post
The strange thing was in the opening comment, have a dog ....oh BTW, have a baby too. Thought it would be the other way around for sure.
Just a little tongue in cheek way to explain my moving scenario!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > General Moving Issues