U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > General Moving Issues
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-08-2014, 06:02 PM

1,107 posts, read 1,123,837 times

Advertisements

I know had had to be similar threads on here regarding my question, but I haven't been able to find some answers, so I thought it would just be easier to start a new thread.

Six years ago my boyfriend at the time (now husband) and I moved to Tampa, Fl from Connecticut. It was so I could finish school, and we only planned on being here for 2-3 years... well 6 years later we still here. As much as I love Florida, I hate it at the same time. Being so far away and not being to go up as often as I wanted to.

When we moved down, since we were living w/ his mom, we didn't really have anything w/ us except for clothes, dvds, pictures, books, some kitchen things, but no furniture. All of it went into the cars w/ us. All of our furniture we have has been purchased here. None of it was terribly expensive. I do like our furniture, esp our outdoor patio set and our dressers. However, I am wondering if it is worth it to move it. (we lately are constantly looking for jobs and really hope to up there by the end of the year)

I can't even do a long distance quote on pods w/o talking to someone, and because I am not 100% sure if we are moving yet, I just don't feel like talking to someone. On upack - they were able to provide me a long distance quote on line and that was close to $3,000!!!! Does that seem accurate?!? (the move is about 1,300 miles) If it is that much - then for sure we would sell our stuff here and buy new things up there.

How long on average are long distance movers? We have a 2/2, enough stuff to fit up a 17 ft Uhaul truck.

Thank you for any tips and advice!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-08-2014, 06:39 PM

878 posts, read 853,632 times
For a move that will cost me right around $3K with Upack, two different full service movers wanted $8K. If you don't have heirloom pieces that you LOVE, sell them (which will net you some cash) and move whatever you can take in your cars (and that, too, will save you some cash, instead of spending it to move items that might not be worth what they cost to move). We are taking our furniture (each of our three kids' bedroom sets, our bedroom set, an antique sideboard, plus a large sectional couch)-- but if we had a smaller household and/or didn't already own nice furniture, I'd dump it all and just take clothing, photos, and kitchen items.

Old 05-09-2014, 10:53 AM

1,886 posts, read 2,011,207 times
You may also want to wait until September or so and get a U-Pack quote. I got a quote a few months ago and it was $1300 and more recently it was $3000. So I think they jacked up the prices for the Summer

Old 05-09-2014, 03:44 PM

4,718 posts, read 8,941,768 times
Having similar experiences - although since my move is a lot further that yours the cost is more like $12k. I am buying a Cargo Trailer, hooking it up to my pickup truck, loading what fits and going... Plan on selling the Cargo trailer when I get there. I could just about give the cargo trailer away and come out ahead.

Even renting a one-way Uhaul is just crazy $$ for me and the $5k I spend on that is just peed away too. Not to mention, my diesel truck will get 2x what the Uhaul will. (and I still have to drive my truck there, since it doesn't fit on any of there rental car trailers.)

And the $12k is just moving our stuff not our vehicles....

Old 05-09-2014, 05:28 PM

1,107 posts, read 1,123,837 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lae60 View Post
You may also want to wait until September or so and get a U-Pack quote. I got a quote a few months ago and it was $1300 and more recently it was $3000. So I think they jacked up the prices for the Summer

Aww... that makes perfect sense actually!! Thank you!

I hope the price will go down.... otherwise we will do either a Budget or Uhaul. Prefer not to drive that far in a truck, and also we would need to drive separately since we have two cars. Budget is not that expensive.. we would at least need a 10 ft one (depending if we decided to sell our stuff and stay w/ his mom just for a few months and get settled for jobs) so we could bring the items we do want to keep. (ie: a lot of our stuff is from Ikea, and not terribly expensive, so I wouldn't mind selling it and getting nicer stuff up there anyway)

Old 05-17-2014, 11:16 AM

8 posts, read 18,631 times
I just booked a move 1450 miles away for next week. I went with Packrat which is charging $2800. Pods was $3250. Upack is a good option, it would have been $2870 for a 17 feet of truck BUT if you use more or less space (they bring a 28 foot truck) you add or subtract $101 per foot.

Old 04-21-2015, 07:41 AM

38 posts, read 61,063 times
Last year I booked a move from California to Louisiana, used 12 feet of trailer out of the 5 foot minimum.. Cost was exactly $2839 for total move cost. We used U-Pack and we did it in March of 2014.

I am looking at it again right now, going back, from Louisiana to California, cost is exactly the same today as if was then, for the 12ft.

Hope this helps for anyone reading up on this like I am!

Old 04-21-2015, 08:13 PM

3,926 posts, read 4,741,386 times
ABF U-Pack trucks have more width and height than a UHaul, etc, and they charge for space used. Use less space, costs less. Pods are the most expensive historically.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > General Moving Issues