Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > General Moving Issues
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-09-2014, 11:34 AM

2 posts, read 5,129 times

Advertisements

Hi,

I was just wondering when is the right time to file for a change of address - before or after the move?

Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-09-2014, 01:04 PM

9,480 posts, read 12,290,797 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ankitjain View Post
Hi,

I was just wondering when is the right time to file for a change of address - before or after the move?

Thanks!
I filed mine as soon as I had the new address, but dated it so that my mail stopped at my old address the day I left. There is a lag time for the forwarding, so by the time I was at the new place, my mail was arriving.

Old 05-09-2014, 01:49 PM

1,107 posts, read 2,278,570 times
You pick the date when you want it to take effect. Don/t forget to call your insurance carriers-home, car, medical, etc. There is a checklist for this sort of stuff in the USPS change of address packet.

Old 05-09-2014, 02:50 PM

688 posts, read 1,101,418 times
I would actually have the first effective day set for about 5 days before you will actually leave the address and no longer be there to receive mail, because it will give you an opportunity to flag down your mail carrier if/when they leave mail after that effective date. Or if you are fortunate and see that they have stopped delivery at your old address, it will take about 5 to 10 days for that forwarded mail to start showing up at your new address. If for some reason it will take you any longer than that to be at your new address to accept mail, you could file a temporary hold there.

I have had a lot of bad experiences with the USPS on moves and simple vacation holds, though. And if your route is handled by more than one carrier, good luck getting them to coordinate these requests...left hand and right hand kind of thing.

My local post office doesn't even want to deal with the paper forms any more, and I prefer the convenience of doing it online anyway. But when you do the online, they verify your mailing address through your credit card address, and it may be hard to do a move request and a hold on the other end at the same time and with the same credit card address.

Old 05-09-2014, 03:25 PM

5,851 posts, read 5,279,150 times
We are officially moving on Monday and have yet to file the Change of Address with the Post Office. We are not worried. We found a note from our letter carrier yesterday asking when she should start delivering to the other address. Yup-we are not even going to be changing letter carriers with this move.

Cat

Old 05-09-2014, 05:10 PM

688 posts, read 1,101,418 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CatwomanofV View Post
We are officially moving on Monday and have yet to file the Change of Address with the Post Office. We are not worried. We found a note from our letter carrier yesterday asking when she should start delivering to the other address. Yup-we are not even going to be changing letter carriers with this move.

Cat
Well, the reason you want to file the post office change as soon as possible and preferably before you move is that they actually electronically communicate the change to your business correspondents. Like your credit card company. I know that most people cut back flips contacting and calling their credit cards, etc., but really they learn of your address change from the post office so that you don't have to contact them.

So while your carrier is being friendly, what you really need to do is send in the official change to inform all of your correspondents of the change (at least those companies that participate in this electronic system).

Last edited by Westbound and Down; 05-09-2014 at 05:20 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > General Moving Issues