Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > General Moving Issues
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-22-2014, 06:13 PM

24,112 posts, read 32,468,260 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaniellaG View Post
I did this for a short period because I also have medical problems. At the time I was 30 and I rented in both FL and MI. FL for the winter obviously. In season in South FL short term rentals are very expensive because of the demand. Often a condo will start at 3000 a month.
Since you are thinking of purchase first I would rent to see if you even like it. I know people who then own a place when they go back to the other state they have someone go in and check on things to make sure there is no leaks etc.
Overall since I was young and on limited finances it was not really realistic to do long term over years. For myself no place felt like home either.
Personally I dislike FL on many levels. I have not been to AZ or NV. FL winter time you would have warmer weather I would think and if you like swimming or the ocean that may be something to think of. I personally with my condition have a hard time with humidity so FL is ruff though the winter months are better then summer which is horrible.
May I ask your age? Something in FL which I think is nice for seniors is that there is people of similar situation so there are activities and ways to meet people easier.
Can you plan a week or so at each place you are considering?

I'm in my early 50s my husband is in his mid 50s. We are not grandparents and we have kids in HS and college. We will not be grandparents for a loooong time. I say this because while it's possible for people our age to have a 30 year old with two young children, we are not grandparents nor are we interested in retirement type things. I don't play bridge or knit. My husband and I work out. So we may not be typical for people in our age group.

We would be happy in a decent mobile home on it's own property. I think the 55 and above ones often have people who are closer to our parents ages and interests.

Also, we would not want to pay common charges especially since we are only going to be there for three months and as needed.

I hope that gives you a better idea.

We absolutely can stay each place for a week.

Also, I don't mean to sound like a curmudgeon when it comes to grand children. However the truth is, we were never people who talked or talk that much about our own kids.
And we preferred and still prefer friends who do the same. We want people with their own interests, as we have.

Currently I have friends ranging in age from 34 - 66. We have single friends also.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-23-2014, 02:38 AM

3,199 posts, read 7,826,851 times
I think you should go for a week to do some scouting and get a feeling for what you like and don't.
For the winter months in FL you would have weather for swimming where as Las Vegas you would need a coat cause it gets cool.
I will say in FL the area I was in anyways the over 55 is more like over 75. I am not saying there are not 55 year olds but the majority is older. I know a lady who has health problems and lives in AZ. She says the winter months are good for her but the summer is not.
Where ever you decide it takes time to meet people. Since you like to workout joining a gym or taking some classes can help. Meet up is a good site to join a group based on your interests or I have even seen groups for people new to the area but with specific age groups.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > General Moving Issues