Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > General Moving Issues
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-10-2014, 12:24 AM

24,109 posts, read 32,460,014 times

Advertisements

I have a medical condition that is very bad in winter. Southern Summers would also be too hot for me so a move to the deep south would not help.

We are thinking that a Winter place, from Jan. or Feb. through April, would be good for us. Our business it portable, so that's not an issue.

Has anyone done this? How has it worked for you?

I'd be interested in hearing your responses!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-10-2014, 10:10 AM

8,147 posts, read 8,345,769 times
Lots of snowbirds in Florida. You may want to ask on the Florida forum.

Old 05-10-2014, 10:26 AM

878 posts, read 1,207,375 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WorldKlas View Post
Lots of snowbirds in Florida. You may want to ask on the Florida forum.
^This. I'm currently in FL and there are a TON of seasonal residents. Arizona has them, too. I'm sure that there are other locales, but those are the two that come to mind first.

Old 05-10-2014, 11:41 AM

47,525 posts, read 69,687,395 times
I would love to do that -- I might switch someday to a job that lets me work remotely but for now I'm stuck to one place.

I really like the climate where I live so that's not a problem --- it would be hard to beat it, but it could be fun staying somewhere else for 3 or 4 months seasonally.

Old 05-11-2014, 09:48 AM

3,631 posts, read 7,669,562 times
I had quite a few clients in Las Vegas who were seasonal residents and the market there is still fairly affordable, though finding a 6 month rental wouldn't be impossible either. The low humidity and year round sunshine make it ideal for those with certain health issues...this is a HUGE reason I will soon be returning as a full time resident.

Old 05-16-2014, 12:10 AM

24,109 posts, read 32,460,014 times
Thanks for the ideas. We currently (by choice) live in an area with one of the lowest costs of living in the US. Yet, it's beautiful, with good schools, history, culture, natural beauty and more.

I'm looking in Florida, Nevada and Arizona.

We want to live inexpensively,but privately. We are open to mobile homes, but on owned land.

Still curious if anyone else lives this way.

Old 05-16-2014, 04:15 AM

3,199 posts, read 7,826,033 times
I did this for a short period because I also have medical problems. At the time I was 30 and I rented in both FL and MI. FL for the winter obviously. In season in South FL short term rentals are very expensive because of the demand. Often a condo will start at 3000 a month.
Since you are thinking of purchase first I would rent to see if you even like it. I know people who then own a place when they go back to the other state they have someone go in and check on things to make sure there is no leaks etc.
Overall since I was young and on limited finances it was not really realistic to do long term over years. For myself no place felt like home either.
Personally I dislike FL on many levels. I have not been to AZ or NV. FL winter time you would have warmer weather I would think and if you like swimming or the ocean that may be something to think of. I personally with my condition have a hard time with humidity so FL is ruff though the winter months are better then summer which is horrible.
May I ask your age? Something in FL which I think is nice for seniors is that there is people of similar situation so there are activities and ways to meet people easier.
Can you plan a week or so at each place you are considering?

Old 05-16-2014, 05:25 AM

3,930 posts, read 6,442,779 times
Sheena, you can rent a mfg home in any of multiple parks on a seasonal/month to month basis. They cater to snowbirds. Check out mhvillage.com for rentals, purchases. If you don't mind $400-700 lot rents, you can buy one cheap, cheap, cheap. Watch the HOA restrictions if you have pets.

Old 05-21-2014, 07:48 AM

878 posts, read 1,207,375 times
@Sheena: I'm in Palm Beach County (well, at least I am for another two weeks)-- depending on your age, you can often find condos in 55+ communities (specifically King's Point, Century Village and Poinciana-- and only one person has to be 55+, many younger people deed the home in their parent's name) for well under $100K (many are under $50K) that while not particularly deluxe, are clean and safe with some nice amenities. There are monthly carrying charges (usually in the $200 range) that will cover the common areas (pool, etc) and insurance for the structure itself. I'm sure that there are also mobile home parks but I'm not at all familiar with them.

Old 05-21-2014, 09:38 AM

16,393 posts, read 30,273,687 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ellysbelly View Post
@Sheena: I'm in Palm Beach County (well, at least I am for another two weeks)-- depending on your age, you can often find condos in 55+ communities (specifically King's Point, Century Village and Poinciana-- and only one person has to be 55+, many younger people deed the home in their parent's name) for well under $100K (many are under $50K) that while not particularly deluxe, are clean and safe with some nice amenities. There are monthly carrying charges (usually in the $200 range) that will cover the common areas (pool, etc) and insurance for the structure itself. I'm sure that there are also mobile home parks but I'm not at all familiar with them.

You can pretty much do the same in older 55+ communities like Green Valley, AZ where I escaped to do avoid the Chicago winters. Also, there are a lot of activities to keep you busy.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > General Moving Issues