U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > General Moving Issues
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-10-2014, 03:08 PM

1,971 posts, read 2,482,895 times

Advertisements

At that salary I would probably just save up, retire and move to somewhere like Merida, Mexico.
All of those places are way out of your price range unless you're on government assistance or live with roommates. SF is more like, government assistance AND live with roommates.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-10-2014, 03:12 PM
MJ7

6,221 posts, read 8,603,488 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kannec View Post
I work for JPMorgan Chase in the lockbox dept. So I do work for a huge company so I would think I could transfer some way to a place I would want to "settle down" at. The internal jobs posted at my site are for the Dallas-Fort Worth area, so I would definitely have to see if there would be similar job positions elsewhere on their website. But as Willow wind mentioned and I do agree, I just don't plan to wing it at my age. I am just weighing my options. My other kids are grown and the last one will soon be graduating (next year). Starting anew at any job in my 50s would be more difficult, from a company's standpoint, than if I was much younger, but I have lots of life experiences and strong work ethic that would be beneficial. I may have to consider looking into a temp agency to find hopefully a temp to hire position wherever I choose to move to.

I am non-materialistic, frugal, and don't spend more than I can afford. I am just looking to find a wonderful place to work, live a simple life doing what I enjoy most-which is hiking, running, taking local road trips, visiting festivals, or anything outdoors. I don't need a lot to be content but having a beautiful scenic area to live would be icing on the top.
I think the desert southwest might be more practical for you, it is reasonably priced with mountains, tons of camping and hiking to do. If you don't mind a bit of snow in the winter I would suggst southern Utah (plenty of national parks around that area, and a fairly low cost of living). If you don't like snow then look further south, Arizona and New Mexico have mountains, both are wonderful places for the outdoors (I use to live in that area).

I would say the larger the city the more expensive it will be, I think a smallish city would be perfect for you, not super small but smaller in size, say 125,000 to 250,000 population.

Also, just because your kids are grown you should think about family gatherings and factor in those travel costs (it's one reason I wouldn't move to Hawaii myself).

Quote:
Originally Posted by Meemur View Post
I'm going to toss a curve ball at you. Disregard the nay-sayers until you look for yourself.

Take a look at Westerville, OH. Chase has a huge operational center there.

Westerville is an up and coming blue collar town with a very cute historical downtown area, but that's not the point. It has a reasonable cost of living, and you could potentially place yourself within a 15 minute commute of work. When you're not working:

- 20 minutes away from Columbus
- 90 minutes from Amish Country
- 2 hours from the Lake Erie Islands (and the Cleveland area)
- 2.5 hours from Cinci
- 3.5 hours from Pittsburgh

If you like bird watching, weird small-town festivals (Circleville Pumpkin Show!), history, old-time crafts,
antiques, water sports, trail biking (see GOBA - Greater Ohio Biking Association) . . . you might find that Ohio is good fit.

I will warn you: the winters can get icy and the summers are not free of humidity, but of the Great Lakes states, this is one of the better ones. The weather changes frequently, so it's rare to have days on end of oppressive heat and humidity, although don't hold me to that from Aug. 15 - Sept. 6th or so!

There is also a "Southern" vibe that will make the transition from TX into the Midwest culture a little easier.

I just spent the last 17 years in Columbus and transferred out. I can't recommend that area to young people without a good career because the economy is in flux but you might find it exactly what you need. There is a solid block of older guys to date and you might even find yourself a partner, but you'll need to get out and do things. Don't mess with internet dating there.
I would have to disagree with this suggestion and that OH has anything of a real southern vibe. The midwest is the midwest, it has some rural tones to it, but it nothing southern, I live in TX and have lived in several places in the Midwest, it was my experience.

Moving from Denton to some small place in OH wouldn't sound fun for the OP and I doubt that is what she had in mind. Sounds like she would like to move somewhere new, new everything: culture, people, location, geography, etc.

Old 05-10-2014, 03:17 PM

5,045 posts, read 5,964,254 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MJ7 View Post
Moving from Denton to some small place in OH wouldn't sound fun for the OP and I doubt that is what she had in mind. Sounds like she would like to move somewhere new, new everything: culture, people, location, geography, etc.
Westerville is on the NE edge of the Columbus metro area, 787,033 folks.Moderator cut: link removed, linking to competitor sites is not allowed

I hope she ignores your nay-saying. (: (: (:

Last edited by Yac; 10-08-2014 at 06:28 AM..

Old 05-10-2014, 03:32 PM
MJ7

Quote:
Westerville is on the NE edge of the Columbus metro area, 787,033 folks. Moderator cut: link removed, linking to competitor sites is not allowed

I hope she ignores your nay-saying. (: (: (:
To me that is small, but then again I live in the 4th largest city in the US and us to reside in the 5th largest. I just do not agree with your suggestion. Columbus, OH from Hawaii, Denver, Seattle, San Fran, San Diego is quite a stretch...not even in the same geographical vicinity. Last time I checked OH had horrible winters and not a lot of mountains, but I guess it may have changed since 4 months ago, when I drove through Columbus?

Last edited by Yac; 10-08-2014 at 06:27 AM..

Old 05-10-2014, 04:07 PM

5,045 posts, read 5,964,254 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MJ7 View Post
when I drove through Columbus?
You drove through, not lived. See the rest of the OP's post. Other aspects do fit, and that's why I'm recommending it, even though I knew there would be comments like yours.

Old 05-10-2014, 04:18 PM

6,319 posts, read 5,686,352 times
Australians get the heebie jeebies if they go any further inland than 10 miles.

Don't you wanna walk on the beach?

Old 05-10-2014, 04:31 PM
MJ7

Quote:
You drove through, not lived. See the rest of the OP's post. Other aspects do fit, and that's why I'm recommending it, even though I knew there would be comments like yours.
You can accomplish what she is looking for almost anywhere, that I agree with. I do not agree with Columbus as being a viable option when comparing it to the cities she mentioned: San Fran, Seattle, San Diego, Atlanta, Florida, Hawaii, Denver. Out of these choices, Atlanta and Florida would be the cheaper route, seeing as her salary is low it might make sense to pick these places. Because FL has no mountains I would say Atlanta is a better choice, but then again you'd have to drive a few hours to get to the mountains. While I was reading the OP I was thinking NC the entire time. Cheap, mountainous and very laid back. But then I saw that the majority of her choices were west coast. Even though those west coast places are more expensive it doesn't mean people can't make it there on 30k/yr, the fact is more people do it everyday than people like to realize. I would look to Oregon or somewhere between Seattle and Portland as a possible place if you want the west coast that bad.

Old 05-10-2014, 06:36 PM

1,971 posts, read 2,482,895 times
Columbus is indeed a weird suggestion for

"I would love to move close to the mountains, live in an area with moderate temperatures, more sun than clouds, an area with lots of outdoor activities (I am active in outdoor sports), good transit system, affordable rent, a few hours drive to the coast, and good highways."

That said, there is nowhere in America that has all those things besides California, if you take out the "affordable rent" part.

Old 05-10-2014, 07:05 PM

28,398 posts, read 61,782,091 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kannec View Post
I have dreamed of living in places like Hawaii, Seattle, Denver, San Diego, San Francisco...
Any suggestions would be appreciated.
No *one* place will meet all needs or suit all moods.

You need to find a way to have TWO homes you can travel between seasonally.
Migrate like a snowbird.

At the practical level... find *another* mid fifties divorced person.
You each own your own pay for your own and share the practical.
Maybe share more too.
---

I'm looking for a 48-54 DWF somewhere near Syracuse.

Old 05-11-2014, 06:23 PM

1,421 posts, read 1,895,142 times
50 year old people are very employable. I wish they would hire more in customer service because many younger generations parents' forgot to teach manners.
Why not try Houston? I live in AZ right now but would definitely move back to Houston if given the opportunity. I am trying to leave the desert but perhaps you may like it here in the Phoenix area. It is about six hours from San Diego and four to Rocky Point (Puerto Penasco) Mexico. It is hotter than heck but I spent October-February hiking close-by.
Houston is tops...great economy, affordable housing, friendly and there is Galveston nearby.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > General Moving Issues
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or