U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > General Moving Issues
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-27-2014, 02:53 PM

2,478 posts, read 4,847,524 times

Advertisements

I've done this a few times. No job, no housing, just loaded up the car and arrived. Here in SLC, I lived in a Hostel for 3 weeks while looking for a room to rent. most renters would not rent to me without a job, but I snagged both a room and a job in the same week. I think I listed some housing options in my stickied thread at the top of this post. Check it out.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-29-2014, 11:15 PM

3,048 posts, read 6,550,354 times
I have moved many times and did not have a place yet so I stay in a hotel till I find one. Usually what I do before I leave is do some research on apartments or if I want to rent a condo/home I call a realtor and get some listings sent to me. With the apartments I call and ask price/availability. Then when I arrive I go and view the places. Most apartments these days if they have availability you can move in right away. Then I go look for mattress set which usually can be delivered same day or at least by the next.
I have had times where it was hard to find a place so I ended up having to stay in a hotel longer then expected. Depending if you know the area I used Hotwire and Priceline to bid on some hotels and in CA I got some really good deals. There are also weekly hotels like Extended Stay.

Old 05-30-2014, 03:59 AM

11 posts, read 24,601 times
I have done sucha a thing a couple years age. I have moved to another city without visiting it before. I had also some problems with finding a job but everything gone well after 2 weeks of living in the hotel and seeking for a job and apartment.
Not a big thing ! GL!

Old 06-01-2014, 01:21 AM

16 posts, read 22,908 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BuscoCasa View Post
I really need some help. So, I will probably be moving about halfway across the country. However, unfortunately, I cannot afford to make another trip to check out housing. So I'll basically be loading my car and driving out there. (Yes, I have visited the city before and loved it, though long before I knew I'd get a job there one day.)

Has anyone ever done this, just moved to a city without housing? Stayed in a hotel for a number of days until you find a good housing option? I realize that trying to find housing quickly probably means I wouldn't get the very best thing. Well, any tips or advice would be great.

**I may have family help with the move, which would make things much less complicated, but not sure yet.
I actually just did what you described. Packed up my Ford Focus with as much as I could fit and made the drive from Wisconsin to Reno, NV. Let me tell you, I thought that finding a job and housing would be much easier than it has turned out to be. Staying in hotels will suck up your money so fast, you wouldn't even believe. And I was staying at Days Inns and Super 8s, not fancy places.

I planned on finding an apartment first and then find a job, just so I could get out of a hotel ASAP, but that didn't work out for me. I have a very specific list of what I need out of an apartment: Furnished (obviously, since I didn't fit a bed or a couch in my Focus); short term lease (month to month or 3 month, because what if I hate it here? I don't want to be stuck in a 1 year lease); and this isn't a must have but it's pretty important: Having utilities included, including cable and wifi (basically because I don't want to have to buy a TV and sign a yearly contract with a cable and internet provider).

If I did find a place that fit my requirements, they wouldn't accept me because I didn't have a job. If I found a place that would accept me without a job, it didn't fit my requirements. Or it was way out of my price range, etc.

What I DID find, however, was a place thats sort of like a hotel but it rents out by either weekly or monthly. There's actually quite a few of them in Reno. I couldn't tell you if there are many of them in any other city. And I didn't have to fill out an application or pay an application fee, they didn't run a background check or a credit check. However, it's right smack in the middle of downtown Reno, which isn't the best/safest area, plus it's super loud all the time. But it has all utilities included with cable, and wifi for less than a dollar a day. And it was in my budget.

You may have to stay in a place like that for a bit. I found 2 places like that on craigslist, but I found many more of them just driving around in reno and writing the places down. I did as much internet research on the places too, before I decided on one. One had many reviews that said it was full of bed bugs and cockroaches.

Good luck!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > General Moving Issues
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or