U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > General Moving Issues
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-14-2014, 04:12 PM

103 posts, read 194,073 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frihed89 View Post
Getting out of Memphis is a fabulous idea. Good luck to the two of you.

Can't agree more!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-14-2014, 04:21 PM

Just ordered a 16' Pack Rat container to clear out part of the garage and clutter so we can stage the house for selling then I'll have it put into storage while we see what happens on the house. We then have another container on hold to put hopefully everything else in for shipping to storage in Florida while we look for a home. Hoping that will hold everything but I'm not optimistic. If we end up having to get a truck as well we will use it to pull one of the cars. Not sure what to do with the other car. I can't really drive long distances my wife does most of that and if we get a truck she will do much of the driving. My car is 12 years old but is in good condition so don't want to sell it but not sure about shipping because what it would cost to ship is probably more than the car is worth. No family or friends here that could drive it down.

Old 06-14-2014, 06:50 PM

812 posts, read 977,649 times
CouchTater, we are working with Golden Key Express to ship our car cross-country, and they have been excellent to work with. May be worth checking on transport charges with them.

Old 06-14-2014, 07:04 PM

Thanks I'll check them out!

Old 06-14-2014, 10:38 PM

1,886 posts, read 2,007,833 times
OP, Have you been to San Bernardino before? (I live nearby, but in a whole different world. I live 12 miles up the mountain that SB is near. I drive through SB to get to work on a regular basis.) If you know about it, then just skip this, if not, thought you should know about it.

If not, you may want to reconsider SB. Is it consistently rated as one of the highest murder rates in the nation and they have more gangs and gang activity that most anyplace. The McDonalds put a camera in the woman's room after a man hid in the restroom waiting for a kid to come in to sexually assault. And after getting caught he kept coming back as there are lots of little girls in McD to touch. The KFC closed after several robberies with the last resulting in cooperating employees getting shot. The owner said he did not want the responsibility of his employees getting killed. Law enforcement can not keep up with the scum / gangs there.

Put that together with the political and financial climate and there is no hope things will improve. The city of SB has filed for bankruptcy, and has to cut services to have any chance of ever recovering.

There are many really nice communities nearby such as Loma Linda. SB does have really low home prices, but there is a reason for that! And you risk your life daily.

Old 06-14-2014, 10:40 PM

1,886 posts, read 2,007,833 times
Oh, and my advice on moving is to go somewhere safer, and if you really want to go to SB, then arrive in the early morning, unload your stuff when the gangs and druggies are asleep. Never flash $, jewelry or anything of value in public. You will get to keep it a little longer that way

And stay in after dark.

Old 06-15-2014, 07:19 AM

3,926 posts, read 4,738,767 times
We are moving from TX to FL, decided to use ABF UPack where they bring out a trailer. We will hire locals to load and unload (various websites for crews). ABF hauls the trailer. We have multiple cars, so hauling one behind our GMC on a trailer, dogs in car.

Old 06-15-2014, 09:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Restrain View Post
We are moving from TX to FL, decided to use ABF UPack where they bring out a trailer. We will hire locals to load and unload (various websites for crews). ABF hauls the trailer. We have multiple cars, so hauling one behind our GMC on a trailer, dogs in car.
See you in Florida! Texas was in the running for places to retire but we decided there was more to do in Florida and more beaches to choose from.

Old 06-19-2014, 02:56 PM

303 posts, read 424,316 times
When we moved from KY to CA last October with our two cats, it was actually cheaper for us to get rid of just about everything and ship the car. We took a plane with the cats in crates and two duffel bags each. I shipped our stuff via FedEx on the slowest/cheapest rate possible. We left heavy items (like books) with my in-laws until we settled in. Granted, we were still living like college students so no decent furniture and no electronics minus our laptops. I did at LEAST five runs to Goodwill with a packed car and passed off anything useful to family members. Now that we're (possibly) facing a move from CA to MA, goodness help me, I'll have to revamp this plan to accommodate a couch and tv. Have a great move!

Old 06-20-2014, 07:40 AM

1,179 posts, read 1,359,104 times
I'm planning on moving from Hudson Valley, NY to Florida in a few years and have no idea how I'm gonna pull it off. ( I have wife and two kids who are currently 6 & 2). I am optimistic that this forum website will help greatly
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > General Moving Issues