Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > General Moving Issues
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-19-2014, 03:13 AM

207 posts, read 257,265 times

Advertisements

Hi friends,
I am new to city-data.com. Please advice me the right forum if this question does not belong to this forum.
Well I am a software engineer making 105k/year. However, i get paid around 2250 (my final pay check amount after all deductions )biweekly salary. I see that significant portion (50%) of my monthly salary(4500) goes in rent and living.
Rent- sharing with room mate: so 1100$
car emi- 550$
car insurance - 120$
fuel - 100$
food - 300$
misc - 200$

As of now I do not have a problem. But I would be getting married in a year. That would change the expenses dramatically.
Rent - 2500$ ( i am thinking of moving to Fremont where rent is 1800$) but i heard it is also increasing. I hate long commute/traffic btw)
car emi- 550$
car insurance - 150$
fuel - 200$
food - 600$
misc - 300$
----------------------
4300$

saving = 200$ per month (4500 - 4300 = 200). it is negligible if i consider making a yearly trip to my natives which costs like 2k$ per person. Family emergencies come up which demand money. Legal hassles are common in US etc.

I am considering to buy a house in future (that will save 2500 rent and convert it into asset).
But housing price is going very high. I see that 3bed/3bath house around fremont area in school zone is 800k. Considering that, i see 100k down payment with 30 year mortgage having 4k monthly installment. I should have my wife working, else it is not possible. Other areas like mtn view and palo alto are just unaffordable (more than 1.5M$).
My current apartment rent raised by 300$/month in 1 year. So renting does not make any sense if i forcast such skyrocketing raises in renting/housing.
Also house prices are increasing in alarming rate. A year ago it was 750k but now it is 800k. Over 2-3 years if i plan, it may go to 1M. And if i calculate interest, it comes around 1M$. So i am paying twice the money to get the house which does not make sense.

Could anyone please advice me a good school area (near fremont, union city, hayward etc) if my plan is 300k house (3bed - 3bath) with 10 year mortgage.

I moved from san diego to bay area a year ago because i wanted to be in a place where jobs are plenty. I see there is no advantage since I cannot buy a house.

Considering all this, I might think of moving to Seattle or Austin or Rayleigh. Please advice me the right city.
My specifications:
1. good amount software jobs/employers. I know bay area is best for this. But is there any other hub not as great as bay area but is 2nd best.
I work on C. have embedded/l2-l3 software experience. I am flexible with this so long that i get programming job which will challenge me.
2. low house prices.
Dont want to spend more than 300-400k for 3bed/3bath house in school area. Want to finish off mortgage in 10yrs.
3. safety- low crime/gun shots, accidents etc
4.(not necessity but good to have)- family recreation around area
5.(not necessity but good to have)- i do not like rain and snow. but ok with 4 month rainy season/couple of snow days and 8 months sunny.
6.(not necessity but good to have)- good scenic places,beaches around. I like hiking, travelling etc.

If there are forums/threads addressing similar problems, please post it.
Also if there is a thread/forum regarding tech jobs, I would like to subscribe to it.
If there is any other website which has similar forums, please let me know.

Thanks a lot!

Regards,
Jon
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > General Moving Issues