Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > General Moving Issues
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 06-30-2014, 03:29 PM

896 posts, read 1,139,845 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Meemur View Post
For that distance, I would also suggest the company Two Men and a Truck if you have them in your area.

I've found them affordable for either short, in-town moves or moving furniture from a house to a storage locker (or vice-versa).
This has also been our experience with Two Men and a Truck, very happy!!

Old 06-30-2014, 04:14 PM

1,316 posts, read 1,709,704 times
Default thanks, my brother suggested them too.

I will see if they are in my area.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Meemur View Post
For that distance, I would also suggest the company Two Men and a Truck if you have them in your area.

I've found them affordable for either short, in-town moves or moving furniture from a house to a storage locker (or vice-versa).

Old 06-30-2014, 07:27 PM

9,912 posts, read 9,586,016 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kygman View Post
Just moving a block? Are you active in a church that may have some younger people who would help you move?
oh no! that is exactly what I did one time and I got ripped off from this one alleged mover whose friends recomnmended him (helping a freind out)… and did not know he was fired from his moving company job a week or two before he was to move me.

I would not trust ANYONE except a professional moving company and i would NEVER go with any kind of movers like you mention. too dangerous when you MUST have everything in place perfectly or else you will miss deadlines like if your new place has a freight elevator schedule.

Friends and others sometime may not feel compelled to help you move if they wake up and dont feel like working, or maybe its too hot, or they got an injury or even a legitimate reason, but they are not obligated to participate in your move, but a professional mover IS. As long as you find a good mover, and not a bad one… there are some that allege they are professional but you still have to investigate a competent one.

but never would i hire some church kids or some college kids, or even friends or family - too much can happen.

Old 06-30-2014, 07:46 PM

1,971 posts, read 3,043,610 times
I disagree that pro movers won't rip you off. They don't overtly rip you off by stealing your stuff.
What they do is wrap up something like a clock radio in 3 feet of bubble wrap, put it in a 20" square box, then ream you with overpriced packing supplies charges. My parents recent move was about 2x over their quote due to this type of thing.

In contrast, I paid two Jamaican guys with a van $400 to move me between apartments in Brooklyn and had no problems.

Old 06-30-2014, 08:12 PM

16,062 posts, read 26,741,423 times
You can ask a real estate agent. We did a short moved and were looking for someone local. She gave us a few recs. we interviewed three, all were wonderful, had great references and were bonded.

Old 06-30-2014, 10:38 PM

5,989 posts, read 6,778,896 times
Beware of hiring a local mover who charges by the hour. My experience was that the movers stood around all day doing nothing, then finally completed the move late that night, when they were finally ready to go home, after having inflated the move to triple what it should have been.

Get a lot of estimates, and sign a contract that gives you a guaranteed price.

Old 06-30-2014, 11:00 PM

5,511 posts, read 4,474,723 times
Keep track of the stuff that's more susceptible to being stolen. Examples include tools and electronics, which either have resale value or would be put to good use by those who swipe it.

Old 07-01-2014, 02:10 PM

521 posts, read 4,413,291 times
Depending on what state you're in, hiring movers off a community bulletin board like craigslist may not only be against the law, but full of insurance risk.

We once lost a job to a mover the customer's boy friend found on Craigslist. After the three guys he hired online loaded her stuff in Tennessee, they stole the Penske truck he had rented. They turned it over after hitting another vehicle in the mountains while fleeing from police.

One died, and the two motorists they hit in the other vehicle were permanently disabled. Not only did the grad student lose all her stuff in the accident, Penske and injured motorists sued both her and her ex-boyfriend.

Here's some advice you might find helpful.

Find a Reputable Mover: A Professional Guide | RELO Roundtable...a gathering place

Moving Cost Estimate Comparison Tool | RELO Roundtable...a gathering place
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > General Moving Issues