Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > General Moving Issues
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-02-2014, 03:42 PM

5 posts, read 7,703 times

Advertisements

So a year from now I plan to move to Houston from detroit. I plan on saving up as much money as I can to make this commute. My job does not have a location out there so I can't transfer, so I would have to find a new job. Im currently in school and plan on transferring down there. Im 24 years old still working on my degree, in which Im afraid that I won't find a career in detroit. Michigan winters are horrible to our cars, quite frankly I hate winter! Im 24 and want to experience life, Im sick of depressing detroit. I live in one of the worst areas of detroit and Im just over it.

From what I researched, the cost of living in Houston is so much better than where I live and the weather is great and good job opportunities.

Any advice on how I should go about finding a job and when I should start looking, finding housing and how much money I should be expecting to save?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-02-2014, 05:38 PM

52,688 posts, read 47,951,424 times
In my opinion, you are doing the right thing. Texas, as a whole, has a very strong economy, so job opportunities are plentiful here. Plus, we have no state income tax. Depending on what it is you're looking for, career-wise, just make sure you do your homework first during your search and seek what suits you the best. Houston will offer you a lot. You'll be moving away from cold winters and moving into hot (and, in Houston, humid) summers, but I think you'll get used to what our state is like year-round, as our winters over most of the state are generally mild. We have about 275 to 300 days of sunshine per year.

Come on down!

Last edited by case44; 07-02-2014 at 06:10 PM..

Old 07-02-2014, 06:58 PM

5,103 posts, read 8,608,438 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SunniB View Post
My job does not have a location out there so I can't transfer, so I would have to find a new job. Im currently in school and plan on transferring down there. [. . . snip . . .]
Any advice on how I should go about finding a job and when I should start looking, finding housing and how much money I should be expecting to save?
Some quick thoughts:

1. Since you can't do a job transfer, stay in Michigan until you graduate from school. Also, it will probably take a year for you to establish residency for in-state tuition, so that will put you behind in your studies. You're better off with your degree in hand.

2. When you get closer to graduation, go to job fairs at your school or in the area. Apply at a national company that has positions in TX.

3. Worry about finding housing when you actually have a job offer in hand.

4. You will probably need: (ball park figures)

- security deposit ($1,100)
- first month's rent ($1,000)
- money for utilities (start ups) ($600)
- money for moving (gas, trailer, whatever) ($2,000)
- groceries/eating out (until you get first paycheck) ($600)
- new license/car registration ($150)
- emergency fund ($500)

I'm assuming no debt. Obviously, if you have credit card or student loans, you'll need to figure out a way to pay those until you get your first pay check.

Approx. $6,000 - and I'm guessing at some of the items. If you get an apartment with roommates, that will be cheaper. If you take just a small car and load it with clothes, that will only cost you the gas to get down there, and so on.

Added: I knew of a family who moved on about $850 (Southfield, MI to Dallas, TX) last year, but they were going to stay in a large guest room at a relative's house and had marketable skills. Still, with all the drug-testing and background checks that had to be done, it was still about five weeks before they got their first pay check and they were in dire straits for a bit, even with the relative's help.

Last edited by Meemur; 07-02-2014 at 07:39 PM..

Old 07-02-2014, 11:13 PM

3,199 posts, read 7,826,851 times
Have you looked into the school you want to transfer to and the cost/eligibility and if you will lose credits? What kind of job do you have currently and what do you plan on doing for a job in TX?
When I have moved out of state and don't have a place yet what I do is call around different apartments or realtors and ask the questions I have and what the availability is. I try to line about appointments to view the places. When I arrive at the new state I stay in a hotel till I am able to view the places.
It is hard to say how much money you will need because what happens if you are unemployed for longer then you think? I also have moved when unexpected issues have happened which cost money so I think having extra is important for a rainy day.

Old 07-03-2014, 01:48 PM
MJ7

6,221 posts, read 10,734,569 times
Do not move somewhere until you have confirmed offer letter for employment and a start date.

Detroit doesn't seem horrible, however, the winters aren't for everyone. Houston is a huge city, the 4th largest in the US, with a lot of time in the vehicle commuting around, be prepared.

There are no state income taxes here in TX, but they have a slightly higher sales tax and property tax. It is a large state, so large in fact you could get in your vehicle and drive 10 hours west of Houston and still be in TX.

I wish you luck on your plans and goal.

Old 07-03-2014, 03:07 PM

1,174 posts, read 2,513,985 times
Quote:
So a year from now I plan to move to Houston from detroit. I plan on saving up as much money as I can to make this commute. My job does not have a location out there so I can't transfer, so I would have to find a new job. Im currently in school and plan on transferring down there. Im 24 years old still working on my degree, in which Im afraid that I won't find a career in detroit. Michigan winters are horrible to our cars, quite frankly I hate winter! Im 24 and want to experience life, Im sick of depressing detroit. I live in one of the worst areas of detroit and Im just over it.

From what I researched, the cost of living in Houston is so much better than where I live and the weather is great and good job opportunities.

SunniB:

Houston is a great place with a lot of opportunity, but be aware that there are LOTS of people trying to do the same thing that you are contemplating and, as a result, rents and home prices are increasing significantly, so the difference in cost of living may not be as significant as you think. This is still a giant city and, while it's a real bargain compared to NYC, LA or Chicago, it isn't cheap exactly.

I would strongly advise that you complete your degree before you relocate. Your chances of hitting the ground running here will be much better that way.

Also, about the weather... If by "the weather is great" you mean "it rarely dips below 35 degrees", then you are right. If you mean "It's beautiful, sunny, comfortable and dry like some paradise in a magazine" then you are absolutely wrong. It's hot here. REALLY hot... From April to October. Hot, hot, hot. And humid. The winters (if you can call it that) really are pretty great, but DAMN it's hot for the rest of the year... Like break a sweat and have armpit stains on your shirt just walking to your car hot.

It may or may not be tenable, but if you can, I would advise saving at least $6,000 before attempting the move, preferably $10K, just to be certain that you aren't going to find yourself in a tough jam.

If you need to find work immediately, drive West on I-10 from Houston and stop at all the busy restaurants and ask if they need help.

Do you mind if I ask what your course of study is?

Old 07-04-2014, 11:58 PM

5 posts, read 7,703 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cleonidas View Post
SunniB:

Houston is a great place with a lot of opportunity, but be aware that there are LOTS of people trying to do the same thing that you are contemplating and, as a result, rents and home prices are increasing significantly, so the difference in cost of living may not be as significant as you think. This is still a giant city and, while it's a real bargain compared to NYC, LA or Chicago, it isn't cheap exactly.

I would strongly advise that you complete your degree before you relocate. Your chances of hitting the ground running here will be much better that way.

Also, about the weather... If by "the weather is great" you mean "it rarely dips below 35 degrees", then you are right. If you mean "It's beautiful, sunny, comfortable and dry like some paradise in a magazine" then you are absolutely wrong. It's hot here. REALLY hot... From April to October. Hot, hot, hot. And humid. The winters (if you can call it that) really are pretty great, but DAMN it's hot for the rest of the year... Like break a sweat and have armpit stains on your shirt just walking to your car hot.

It may or may not be tenable, but if you can, I would advise saving at least $6,000 before attempting the move, preferably $10K, just to be certain that you aren't going to find yourself in a tough jam.

If you need to find work immediately, drive West on I-10 from Houston and stop at all the busy restaurants and ask if they need help.

Do you mind if I ask what your course of study is?
Hi, thanks for the advice.

Our summers range from mild to very hot and humid. Our humidity is so bad at times that it looks hazy. I like warm climates but are winters are terrible and we just had one of worst ones. Detroit is a commuter city as well, so traveling is not my issue. Most of us in Detroit tend to work outside of the city. I really don't want to complete my degree here, I've always had a plan to leave. I study graphic design and marketing. I have 2 jobs now and only one of them is transferable, which is not bad but I would prefer to make a little more. I plan to save everything I can to make this move. Im not expecting easy and for everything to fall in place however I won't be negative about it either.

Thanks again

Old 07-05-2014, 01:54 PM

5,103 posts, read 8,608,438 times
Quote:
Hi, thanks for the advice.

Our summers range from mild to very hot and humid. Our humidity is so bad at times that it looks hazy. I like warm climates but are winters are terrible and we just had one of worst ones. Detroit is a commuter city as well, so traveling is not my issue. Most of us in Detroit tend to work outside of the city. I really don't want to complete my degree here, I've always had a plan to leave. I study graphic design and marketing. I have 2 jobs now and only one of them is transferable, which is not bad but I would prefer to make a little more. I plan to save everything I can to make this move. Im not expecting easy and for everything to fall in place however I won't be negative about it either.

Thanks again
I'm from Ann Arbor, originally. Trust me when I tell you TX summers are generally much hotter and more humid than MI, so do keep that in mind.

I'm not being negative -- just realistic -- marketing and graphic design are highly competitive. You might do better to have a degree in accounting, even a two-year degree, before moving, along with some solid general office skills, like knowing MS Office programs very, very well. Or, if you like medical jobs, look into becoming a certified nurse aide and getting some experience in a nursing home. You'd probably have to be re-certified in TX, but they might pay for it if you already had a year's worth of experience.

I can understand wanting to get away from Detroit. A more realistic move for now might be Grand Rapids, depending on where you are working. Get a two-year degree in something marketable while you can pay in-state tuition and then go out of state. That area is much calmer than Detroit and Downriver. If you want a 4-year degree, check out WSU at K'zoo. Again, much different environment from Detroit.

If would be different if you had relatives you could crash with in TX if things didn't work out right away, but without a good safety net or some highly marketable skills, you could be setting yourself up for a rough time.

Old 07-05-2014, 03:51 PM
MJ7

6,221 posts, read 10,734,569 times
Why not get weather advice from people that actually live in Houston? Oh, because that would make too much sense?

You acclimate to the climate here. It might be humid and 90+ during the summer, but it's just another day, you'll get used to it.

Houston has an unemployment rate of around 5.6%, compare that to Detroit and other NE and midwest cities, it is better hands down. Be aware that a lot of people are flocking here for the same reasons though, I always advise having a job first before you move, but that's not to say it can't be done. I was in a situation where I moved here with a job, the job only lasted 9 days, then I was stranded without work in a huge city I knew little about. I was fortunate enough to have an interview and a job offer 3 days later. If you have savings to make it for awhile, it can pay off. Have a backup plan and be prepared for the worst. Good luck.

If you have any specific questions about the city you can PM me, I live in the midtown area near the Galleria.

Old 07-06-2014, 07:16 AM

3,930 posts, read 6,443,856 times
With that degree, you might consider DFW as opposed to Houston.

In any event, go get the job first, THEN decide where to live. For example, the DFW Metro area is almost 100 miles across. Houston is similar in a commuting area.

Get in touch with head hunters, put out your résumé (don't forget Monster, etc), but realize that just sending out resumes generally end up in the HRs version of File 13.

Good luck
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > General Moving Issues