U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > General Moving Issues
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
View Poll Results: How much of an influence do other people's relocation choices sway your choice?
To some degree, it influences my decision on where to live 15 33.33%
I only care about where I want to live, even if it's not a popular place 30 66.67%
Voters: 45. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 07-06-2014, 12:29 PM
 
1,971 posts, read 2,483,269 times
Reputation: 2169

Advertisements

Yes, all my friends moved out of the SF bay area so after a year of having no friends I left, too. I moved to MN to be closer to my parents and extended family, which turned out to be a mistake that I am still trying to fix.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 07-06-2014, 12:34 PM
 
Location: Backwoods of Maine
7,098 posts, read 8,110,575 times
Reputation: 18713
I was "reverse-influenced" if that makes any sense. Wife and I both retired now, mid-60's, and had discussed for many years where we might move to, when the time came. We both agreed that we did not like Rhode Island (where we lived all our married lives), but friends and family speaking about moving to Florida, Arizona, Kalifornia, North Carolina...we figured years ago that the prices in those places would skyrocket, and by and large, we were correct. We also don't like crowds.

We decided to stay in New England, but opted for northern Maine. My brother and I spent our childhood summers in Maine, and I had fond memories of the place. We did a lot of research prior to the move, but we are now both happy with the decision. Up here it's quiet, uncrowded, has virtually zero crime, cost of living is low, no traffic to speak of. The air is fresh, the water is clean, the fishing is great, there is no drought - and did I mention? - it's beautiful. God's country!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-06-2014, 01:02 PM
 
Location: Jacksonville, FL
11,145 posts, read 14,066,940 times
Reputation: 7069
There are many beautiful, uncrowded places that I would love to live in. However, since I'm a corporate tax accountant, it is VERY hard to find jobs in places like that. Due to the nature of my profession, most job opportunities (that pay well) for me are located in larger metropolitan areas, which sucks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-06-2014, 01:47 PM
 
Location: Tennessee
23,358 posts, read 17,373,400 times
Reputation: 27282
I've never been able to land a decent job in the common settlement areas. I have had to go from the South farther North to find work.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-06-2014, 01:53 PM
 
2,252 posts, read 2,085,330 times
Reputation: 1508
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nor'Eastah View Post
I was "reverse-influenced" if that makes any sense. Wife and I both retired now, mid-60's, and had discussed for many years where we might move to, when the time came. We both agreed that we did not like Rhode Island (where we lived all our married lives), but friends and family speaking about moving to Florida, Arizona, Kalifornia, North Carolina...we figured years ago that the prices in those places would skyrocket, and by and large, we were correct. We also don't like crowds.

We decided to stay in New England, but opted for northern Maine. My brother and I spent our childhood summers in Maine, and I had fond memories of the place. We did a lot of research prior to the move, but we are now both happy with the decision. Up here it's quiet, uncrowded, has virtually zero crime, cost of living is low, no traffic to speak of. The air is fresh, the water is clean, the fishing is great, there is no drought - and did I mention? - it's beautiful. God's country!
I've been to several islands in the Caribbean, to this day, the prettiest ocean water I've ever seen was in Ogunquit Maine. I'll never forget standing on a cliff looking down at the emerald green water so clean, you can see straight to the bottom. JUST STUNNING!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-06-2014, 08:04 PM
 
4 posts, read 4,260 times
Reputation: 15
Depends on who the person is!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-07-2014, 05:54 AM
MJ7
 
6,221 posts, read 8,604,986 times
Reputation: 6514
I'm influenced by the job that is going to put me the most well off financially, where ever that may be is where I'll want to go...good thing I'm where I want to be.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-07-2014, 07:15 AM
PDD
 
Location: The Sand Hills of NC
8,776 posts, read 14,812,591 times
Reputation: 11885
Quote:
Originally Posted by RecentlyMoved View Post
I was greatly influenced by the # of NYers who relocated to the Cary / Raleigh NC area. Obviously I did my own research and came to visit 3 times before we moved here. But the fact that there are so many transplanted NYers here definitely influenced my decision.
We are from NJ and we were definitely influenced by where the other folks from NY and NJ move to in NC, that why we chose not to move to those areas you mentioned. We visited the Raleigh/Cary area, Greensboro, Charlotte and it was just like NJ was 20 years ago, too crowded, too many malls, too much like the Northeast.
That's why we looked further south and settled in the Sand hills because it is just like NJ was 60 years ago, quiet and not a lot of people (except for the US Open), plenty of room and not cramped together like some of those areas around Raleigh, Charlotte, Greensboro.

So yes we were influenced by other people from the Northeast. Don't move where they move.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-07-2014, 07:28 AM
 
2,252 posts, read 2,085,330 times
Reputation: 1508
Quote:
Originally Posted by PDD View Post
We are from NJ and we were definitely influenced by where the other folks from NY and NJ move to in NC, that why we chose not to move to those areas you mentioned. We visited the Raleigh/Cary area, Greensboro, Charlotte and it was just like NJ was 20 years ago, too crowded, too many malls, too much like the Northeast.
That's why we looked further south and settled in the Sand hills because it is just like NJ was 60 years ago, quiet and not a lot of people (except for the US Open), plenty of room and not cramped together like some of those areas around Raleigh, Charlotte, Greensboro.

So yes we were influenced by other people from the Northeast. Don't move where they move.
Well I'm glad you've found happiness

See for me, even with the "so-called crowds" in the Cary area, I feel like there are tumble weeds rolling down the streets. Every time I go to a store or drive somewhere, I always ask: WHERE IS EVERYONE??? I know lots of people live here. I guess they all hang out at home, A LOT?! Either that, or I am just more comfortable around crowds.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-07-2014, 10:04 AM
 
Location: Des Moines Metro
5,045 posts, read 5,966,482 times
Reputation: 9424
Quote:
Originally Posted by RecentlyMoved View Post
Every time I go to a store or drive somewhere, I always ask: WHERE IS EVERYONE??? I know lots of people live here. I guess they all hang out at home, A LOT?! Either that, or I am just more comfortable around crowds.
You're suffering from culture shock. Remember, you've made a HUGE transition. I remember people from a crowded Asian country visiting Utah's "Color Country," they kept taking photos of "nothing" to show the relatives back home all of the open space.

You're sort of in that mindset right now. Give it about six months.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > General Moving Issues
Similar Threads
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top