Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > General Moving Issues
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-23-2014, 03:29 PM

3 posts, read 4,819 times

Advertisements

I am moving from Raleigh NC to Gilbert AZ. Will be driving my 2003 Ford Escape pulling a 5x8 Uhaul trailer. It will be myself, 3 teenagers and my 2 year old grandson...which is the best and easiest route? Not leaving til August 9. I am relocating to our Arizona office and don't have to be at my desk til the 18...your feedback will be greatly welcomed
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-24-2014, 12:48 PM

105 posts, read 274,725 times
Doesn't get much easier than taking the 40 all the way to Flagstaff and then going south on the 17 to get into Phoenix. Some people are uneasy about driving the 17 through the mountains but if you do it during the day, and keep to the right it won't be a big deal. Fantastic scenery too as you're coming down into the valley.

In my opinion, taking the 20 or the 10 all the way through Texas is a bad choice unless you like not having anything to look at for miles upon miles of endless, flat and boring high desert landscape. Most of New Mexico is like this too but at least it's not for insane long stretches.

Good luck on the drive and welcome to Phoenix!

Old 06-24-2014, 02:16 PM

6 posts, read 18,238 times
Hi,

I second tgmn's suggestion. I just drove from AZ to NC last week and took the same route. You will run into construction along I-40. It might be a good idea to check state DOT Web sites for updates.

Safe travels,

Jane

Old 06-25-2014, 05:54 PM

3 posts, read 4,819 times
Default moving to Arizona

Thanks for the advice on the best route. I didnt mention i will be pulling a trailer. Not a big one, 5 x 8. How will that impact my drive thru the mountains? My co-worker suggested I travel thru Florida, Louisiana, Texas, New Mexico into Tuscon...it adds about 2 hours to my drive but he assured me that the drive would be very pleasant and since I have 9 days to get there, it would be a good trip for the family. i am traveling with my 17 yr son, 19 yo daughter, 20 and 17 yo nephews...what do you think? Good idea or not?

Old 06-26-2014, 10:14 AM

105 posts, read 274,725 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Smmatthews1962 View Post
Thanks for the advice on the best route. I didnt mention i will be pulling a trailer. Not a big one, 5 x 8. How will that impact my drive thru the mountains? My co-worker suggested I travel thru Florida, Louisiana, Texas, New Mexico into Tuscon...it adds about 2 hours to my drive but he assured me that the drive would be very pleasant and since I have 9 days to get there, it would be a good trip for the family. i am traveling with my 17 yr son, 19 yo daughter, 20 and 17 yo nephews...what do you think? Good idea or not?

It won't be too bad with a trailer, most of it is going to be downhill. Like I said, if you just stay in the right lane and let the speeders get by you it will be a cakewalk. The only thing is you might get stuck behind some slow semis.

Going through FL, LA, TX, and then up through Tucson seems kind of a roundabout way to get here but it should be pretty flat and easy going. If you want to take your time doing that, go for it.

Old 06-26-2014, 09:26 PM

3,941 posts, read 6,721,070 times
I have made the drive more than I care to admit. For this time of year I think I-40 would be the most scenic route with the mountains coming through Flagstaff. The easier (read:boring!) Route would be I-10. There is a lot to see along the way so take your time and enjoy!

Old 06-27-2014, 12:16 AM

4,468 posts, read 10,610,480 times
I-10 is a good route if you're wanting to throw a little vacation aspect into it, for the teenagers and grandkids. There's a lot to see along that route. I-10 is also heavily traveled so if something goes wrong on the car, you won't have far to go to find somewhere to fix it.

I'm guessing that's the route the friend was referring to when they said FL, TX, etc.?

Old 07-05-2014, 11:39 PM

45 posts, read 47,849 times
We drove from PA to AZ with our two kids 9 and 15 and our kitten.We drove or Navigator with the biggest trailer uhaul has attached to it and we went through, IN, OH, IL, MO,OK,TX, NM THE HIGHWAYS THERE WERE SO COLORFUL ME AND THE HUBBY LOVED IT, WAS LATE SO THE KIDS WERE SLEEP and finally over to Flagstaff and down into Phx. The trip was fun and awesome I always loved riding from Philly when I was little to see relatives in AL or VA this brought back memories. Take your time have fun and ask the kids which way they may want to go especially the ones who are going to help drive.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > General Moving Issues