Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > General Moving Issues
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-31-2014, 12:11 PM

6 posts, read 18,238 times

Advertisements

Hello,

We’re getting ready to move our household from NC to CO. We’ll need to put our items in storage for a few months. ABF U-Pack ReloCubes look like a good option, but I would value your feedback/experiences on the following:

1. Since our move is originating in the south (NC), I was a little concerned on the condition of the ReloCubes: Heat, humidity, and bugs. Has anyone in the south used ReloCubes? Did you find the containers to be clean and mold/odor-free?

2. Has anyone used ReloCubes for storage (3 - 6 months)? Are the ABF facilities climate-controlled? We are planning on storing our items at the ABF Colorado Springs facility until we find a home in the area. I won’t need to worry about humidity in Colorado, but would prefer that the ReloCubes are somewhat protected from the elements.

Thanks,

Jane
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-31-2014, 02:37 PM

5,103 posts, read 8,603,625 times
I moved last August from Columbus, Ohio to Des Moines, IA. I'm answering because I used two relocubes during those 100+ degree days and had them stored in Ankeny, IA for around three weeks.

As far as I know, my stuff was not in climate-controlled storage, plus I'm guess that it had the potential to get up to 120 degrees in the cubes.

Knowing that high temps were possible, I *did not* pack any electronics or anything else where high heat would be a problem. The bulk of my stuff was clothing, books, along with several small wood pieces of furniture, and the beeswax on the underside of the drawers melted, so I know it hit at least 110 degrees at some point.

No, there was no mold. The containers were dry when I loaded them and dry when I unpacked them.

There were no bugs! Of course, I didn't pack any food or liquids, plus I chased out a moth before I closed it up. The moth was from my yard, not the cube.

There were no surprises! Since it was so hot during that move, I kept delicate electronics (flash drives, lap top, etc) with me and took a bag of such items into the hotel at night.

The cubes are small! One fits in a parking space. They were perfect for my application, moving out of a small house on an alley but that small size isn't the best for every move, so do be aware of that.

I don't know how it would go for 3 - 6 months. Perhaps a climate-controled storage locker in CO might be a better option for you.

Old 06-02-2014, 11:34 PM

126 posts, read 120,819 times
We used them twice, to and from SC, and I can't say enough good things about them. Stored for a month in Savannah, I think, and all was well, no bugs, no mold, excellent service, fantastic!

Old 06-24-2014, 09:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by elkelives View Post
We used them twice, to and from SC, and I can't say enough good things about them. Stored for a month in Savannah, I think, and all was well, no bugs, no mold, excellent service, fantastic!
Thanks Elkelives, I appreciate the reply and your feedback!

Jane

Old 06-24-2014, 10:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Meemur View Post
I moved last August from Columbus, Ohio to Des Moines, IA. I'm answering because I used two relocubes during those 100+ degree days and had them stored in Ankeny, IA for around three weeks.

As far as I know, my stuff was not in climate-controlled storage, plus I'm guess that it had the potential to get up to 120 degrees in the cubes.

Knowing that high temps were possible, I *did not* pack any electronics or anything else where high heat would be a problem. The bulk of my stuff was clothing, books, along with several small wood pieces of furniture, and the beeswax on the underside of the drawers melted, so I know it hit at least 110 degrees at some point.

No, there was no mold. The containers were dry when I loaded them and dry when I unpacked them.

There were no bugs! Of course, I didn't pack any food or liquids, plus I chased out a moth before I closed it up. The moth was from my yard, not the cube.

There were no surprises! Since it was so hot during that move, I kept delicate electronics (flash drives, lap top, etc) with me and took a bag of such items into the hotel at night.

The cubes are small! One fits in a parking space. They were perfect for my application, moving out of a small house on an alley but that small size isn't the best for every move, so do be aware of that.

I don't know how it would go for 3 - 6 months. Perhaps a climate-controled storage locker in CO might be a better option for you.
Hi Meemur,

Thank you very much for your reply. I contacted the U-Pack folks about their storage facilities to confirm that the relocubes are stored in a secure outside location. I agree that using this option during the summer months might be a bit risky. If I eliminate electronics from the move, my only possible high-risk items might be veneer tables and leather Ekornes Stressless chairs. I'm not sure what excessive heat might do to these items. I won't worry about the Tupperware. :-)

Thanks again for your time,

Jane

Old 06-30-2014, 09:44 PM

4,309 posts, read 6,438,541 times
Default My qyote from U-Pack....

From middle TN to Savannah, GA. 1400 Sqft home (3 bedroom) including garage, nothing ever stored in the garage but for 3 bicycles and six 18 gallon plastic totes.

Okay the quote....

17 Feet of Trailer Space -$1,194 (door to door)
3 ReloCube Containers -$1,320 (door to terminal)
4 ReloCube Containers -$1,503 (door to terminal)

Estimated transit time..3-5 business days. (It takes approximately 6/7 hours from TN to Savannah).... what do you guys think? Seems fair enough? I honestly don't mind the price, it's the transit time I have sorta mixed feeling about. Why so long?

Old 07-01-2014, 11:21 AM

7,514 posts, read 13,611,290 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Betsey Lane View Post
From middle TN to Savannah, GA. 1400 Sqft home (3 bedroom) including garage, nothing ever stored in the garage but for 3 bicycles and six 18 gallon plastic totes.

Okay the quote....

17 Feet of Trailer Space -$1,194 (door to door)
3 ReloCube Containers -$1,320 (door to terminal)
4 ReloCube Containers -$1,503 (door to terminal)

Estimated transit time..3-5 business days. (It takes approximately 6/7 hours from TN to Savannah).... what do you guys think? Seems fair enough? I honestly don't mind the price, it's the transit time I have sorta mixed feeling about. Why so long?
It's not like they are going to drive straight thru from old location to new after pickup. The trailer or cubes will spend at least 2 nights at the terminals at either end ( and possibly in between) as your shipment is matched up with others going same direction.

Curious why trailer is door/door, but cubes are door/terminal ?

Old 07-01-2014, 11:29 AM

389 posts, read 916,355 times
Also realize that the quote for the trailer should also include a price per foot. This price will be important because a credit will be applied if you do not use the quoted amount (17 feet). If they say it is $200/foot and you only use 15 feet, your actual cost will be $400 less than the quoted price. At the same time, if by chance you need more than the 17 feet, you will be able to easily load it all, and pay an additional amount per extra foot.

Old 07-05-2014, 12:34 PM

3,930 posts, read 6,440,844 times
We used a whole trailer, DFW to Port Charlotte (1300 miles), $3300. HOWEVER, they are a week behind on delivery on our end.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > General Moving Issues