Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > General Moving Issues
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-05-2014, 08:23 AM

20 posts, read 29,580 times

Advertisements

Hello all,

I have accepted a new job and the company is paying for our move. This includes packing, transporting and unpacking. I have never experienced this before and I was wondering if you had any tips. Right now we are decluttering the stuff we don't use. Either giving it away, donating it or throwing it away. Are there any tips you could provide to make this easier on the movers and my family?

Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-05-2014, 10:26 AM

7,487 posts, read 7,987,990 times
If you do not already have one, get a digital camera. Before the movers arrive you will want to take pictures of things like furnature, artwork, fragile items and expensive things. You might want to take some pictures that more or less shows everything in each room.

You need to be ready for the movers when they arrive. Trying to sort what to pack when the movers are already there does not work well.

Seperate anything you will be keeping with you from the rest of the stuff so that it does not get packed by accident.

You are not obligated to feed the movers. However water, sodas and snacks like cookies or chips will be greatly appreciated.

While the chances of getting ripped off by the movers are very slim, I still would not leave things like purses out in the open. Unless the movers are also moving your car, lock these items in your car.

Old 07-05-2014, 07:29 PM

2,253 posts, read 2,516,629 times
I would start making a list of what you will be packing yourself - things you don't want them touching: family heirlooms, priceless items, jewelry, etc.

Old 07-05-2014, 10:14 PM

5,103 posts, read 8,579,916 times
My tips: keep with you what you need to continue working in case the truck doesn't show up or your things get damaged.

That is, if you are required to dress for work, have a suitcase/suit bag with you (or uniforms). If there are certain tools you need, keep those with you, as well. For me, that was two laptops and a printer. If you need your s.s. card and/or passport for the first day of work, have an important papers folder that stays with you, not on the truck. I put a lot of those sorts of things in a toolbox that fit under the seat of my car.

Also, if there are things that *can't be damaged* figure out a way to keep those with you, as well. For example, if you aren't going to scan the contents of the family photo albums onto a portable hard drive, perhaps pack those into a soft-sided cooler and carry them with you.

And it's probably not a good idea to pack delicate electronics (thumb drives, CDs, DVDs) into a hot moving van. Those should probably be reduced in number and also kept out of the heat.

Old 07-06-2014, 07:09 AM

3,930 posts, read 6,423,590 times
Boxes will collapse, so anything fragile should go into bins. Anything fragile, pack yourself, and use lots of bubble wrap.

Best prices we got were from ABF and it was specific on prices.

Check out other threads, especially one by Kab0 where the movers severely damaged her furniture, dryer, etc.

Good luck

Old 07-06-2014, 07:10 AM

3,930 posts, read 6,423,590 times
BTW, if they haven't told you, things like gas cans, propane tanks, etc cannot be carried on the van.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > General Moving Issues