U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > General Moving Issues
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-17-2014, 01:21 PM

54 posts, read 73,687 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by EmperorRyker View Post
Ah OK, I guess the problem is I've never assembled a computer myself, so that's why I was hoping to just send it over as-is. But are you saying I could leave the rest of the stuff attached and connected? Because I could take out the hard drives (I have one SSD and one "regular" hard drive) and the graphics card, but I wouldn't want to disconnect the CPU, take off the motherboard, PSU and all the cables etc. Would that be good?

But you mentioned the original box and the foam stuff. Well, I think I do still have that (well, of the computer case, since I both components separately). The original box isn't as rigid as it used to be, but if I have the foamy things and additionally put as much bubble wrap as I can around the case, could I then ship it intact?

Also, do you have any suggestions in regards to sending over the LCD monitor? For that one I also still have the original box and the styropor pieces it came with. Safe to ship over that way? If not, I'd just buy a new one in the US, but I would prefer to send this one over to save a bit of money.
You can leave the following attached:
CPU
Motherboard

You have to unplug:
Cables of course

Fragile and should be removed from you chassis and put in anti-static bags:
Graphics Card
Hard drives/SSD
Liquid Cooling (if you have it)

If the box is in good condition, you could use it and the foam pieces/bubble wrap (with anti-static! This is important) and ship it like that. But do so at your own risk. Tape the bottom crisscross and a lot lol. You don't want it dropping out of the box.

I don't know where you're shipping your desktop from but I had my chassis. two LCD monitors, and other non-important computer peripherals packaged by UPS. They wrapped my two monitors separately with a lot of bubble wrap and placed it in one big box with lots of peanuts. They arrived undamaged.

The chassis itself was also bubbled wrapped like crazy and had peanuts. That's how UPS packaged my computer.

The rest; graphics card, hard drive and such were carried on a plane with me. Minus an extra graphics card I had... where it was a checked luggage. It was in an anti-static bag, wrapped with thick bubble wrap and padded by my extra clothes. Along with a few wiggle room so it doesn't get crushed by my clothes when I close the suitcase. (lol run on sentence).

I wish you luck!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-19-2014, 05:28 PM

24 posts, read 37,135 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shantotto View Post
You can leave the following attached:
CPU
Motherboard
What about the optical unit, the PSU, RAM and the wireless card?
Quote:
You have to unplug:
Cables of course
What do you mean by that? Disconnect the internal wiring, or just the obvious fact that it's not going to be plugged into a socket anymore?
Quote:
Fragile and should be removed from you chassis and put in anti-static bags:
Graphics Card
Hard drives/SSD
Liquid Cooling (if you have it)
What if I don't have or can't get anti-static bags at this point? What would be your suggestion for an alternative if I were to take those components on a plane?

Quote:
If the box is in good condition, you could use it and the foam pieces/bubble wrap (with anti-static! This is important) and ship it like that. But do so at your own risk. Tape the bottom crisscross and a lot lol. You don't want it dropping out of the box.
You mean with nothing disconnected (i.e. not even the hard drives etc.?).

Quote:
I don't know where you're shipping your desktop from but I had my chassis. two LCD monitors, and other non-important computer peripherals packaged by UPS.
I'm sending it from Canada to the US, and I'd go with their cheapest ground option. I decided against sending my LCD monitor over, since I was able to sell this one for a fair price, so the extra cost or the difference for me getting a new and a bigger one is ~$100, and I can live with that. Plus, at least I don't have to worry about customs issues and possible damage with that now

Also, what do you think of taking the case with the non-fragile components (i.e. the ones you didn't list as fragile) on a plane as checked baggage?

Old 07-24-2014, 04:55 PM

54 posts, read 73,687 times
Quote:
What about the optical unit, the PSU, RAM and the wireless card?
What do you mean by that? Disconnect the internal wiring, or just the obvious fact that it's not going to be plugged into a socket anymore?
Yes remove the RAM as well. They are thin and fragile and could break. As for wireless card, I don't know about that... I don't use wireless on my desktop. Its your decision.

This video shows the RAM removal process:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3B9ff9ei7hk

Quote:
What if I don't have or can't get anti-static bags at this point? What would be your suggestion for an alternative if I were to take those components on a plane?
Search Google for the alternatives. There are alternatives but I won't list them as you should decide on your own. Do at your own risk.

Quote:
What would be your suggestion for an alternative if I were to take those components on a plane?
Carry on. Bubble wrap. Anti-Static is a must for carry on, since it will go through TSA. Padding. Original box if possible. As long as it can fit in the over head.

Quote:
You mean with nothing disconnected (i.e. not even the hard drives etc.?).
I'm unclear of your question. If you mean the SATA cables, you have to unplug those and the mounts to remove the hard drives.

Quote:
Also, what do you think of taking the case with the non-fragile components (i.e. the ones you didn't list as fragile) on a plane as checked baggage?
It will be heavy and depending on your suitcase (and baggage handlers tossing and throwing) you are again doing this at your own risk. I've researched this for months up till my move and it all comes down to the type of computer you have and how new it is. My computer is only 1 year old and future proof... I decide to take extra care and time researching.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > General Moving Issues
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or