Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > General Moving Issues
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-07-2014, 11:21 PM

24 posts, read 53,979 times

Advertisements

Hi,

I was wondering if someone could help me out here. I will be moving from Canada to the US, and will be able to pack most of my stuff in two suitcases, but I also have a desktop computer that I want to take with me. Obviously, I'm not taking it on a plane, and what I was thinking of doing was sending it to myself, to my new address in the US with FedEx. However, I am told that I need a commercial invoice for that, but since it's personal belongings I don't want to pay taxes or duties. So I'm not really sure what to do, and what documentation would be needed for me to only pay shipping fees with whoever I choose, and not have the computer held up at customs. Also, FedEx told me that I can't put "personal effects" anywhere on the invoice if I am to use International Ground shipping (which I most likely would), but that I could fill out the Declaration for Free Entry of Unaccompanied Articles form (CBP Form 3299).

What are everyone's thoughts on this, will it be good enough for the computer to go through without taxes and duties levied on it? Also, do you think it's safe enough going this route as far as the computer arriving safe and sound?

Any help would be greatly appreciated, since I really want to move the computer, but I don't want to pay more than what it's actually worth (probably around $CAD 600, maybe less, not sure - I paid ~$CAD 1,200 two years ago).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-08-2014, 06:21 AM

3,930 posts, read 6,441,479 times
Are you close to the US border? If so, drive across,the border and ship from the US side. That avoids all the customs issues.

Old 07-08-2014, 06:22 AM

3,930 posts, read 6,441,479 times
Alternate: just pull the hard drive and get a new computer here and put the drive in a second drive box.

Old 07-08-2014, 04:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Restrain View Post
Are you close to the US border? If so, drive across,the border and ship from the US side. That avoids all the customs issues.
No, that's not an option.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Restrain View Post
Alternate: just pull the hard drive and get a new computer here and put the drive in a second drive box.
This is something I already considered, but decided against it.

So any thoughts on the original problem?

Old 07-09-2014, 06:32 AM

3,961 posts, read 11,018,343 times
is there any reason not to pack it up and check it on your flight? I'd think it would be no different then those who transport guns across the border on hunting trips, etc (i've never done it so i could be wrong) and the cost to check it could be less then shipping across the border along with no customs declarations.
I would though suggest doing a full backup onto a portable usb drive and keeping that with you, "just in case", regardless of how you ship it.

Old 07-12-2014, 06:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ranger17 View Post
is there any reason not to pack it up and check it on your flight? I'd think it would be no different then those who transport guns across the border on hunting trips, etc (i've never done it so i could be wrong) and the cost to check it could be less then shipping across the border along with no customs declarations.
I would though suggest doing a full backup onto a portable usb drive and keeping that with you, "just in case", regardless of how you ship it.
This is something that later occurred to me, as well. I'm already doing the full backup onto an external hard drive that I'll carry with me in my carry-on baggage. But see, if I don't dismantle the computer (which I don't want to), then it's going to get rough treatment. We all know bags get thrown around by the airport staff, so I don't see how I could make this to be a safe proposition. Do you have any ideas here? It namely is an option I was considering, since it would cost me around $130 for the additional piece of checked baggage, but would have the advantage of me having access to the computer right away after landing and the possibility of having it imported into the US as a non-taxable personal belonging.

Old 07-14-2014, 07:54 AM

3,961 posts, read 11,018,343 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EmperorRyker View Post
This is something that later occurred to me, as well. I'm already doing the full backup onto an external hard drive that I'll carry with me in my carry-on baggage. But see, if I don't dismantle the computer (which I don't want to), then it's going to get rough treatment. We all know bags get thrown around by the airport staff, so I don't see how I could make this to be a safe proposition. Do you have any ideas here? It namely is an option I was considering, since it would cost me around $130 for the additional piece of checked baggage, but would have the advantage of me having access to the computer right away after landing and the possibility of having it imported into the US as a non-taxable personal belonging.
to be honest i've seen plenty of ground package carriers toss boxes around both in warehouses and at residential delivery so not sure if that's any "safer" then wrapping your pc in bubble wrap and putting it in a suitcase or box to check as extra baggage. I cant say if one is better then the other as far as total expense you'll pay though.

Old 07-14-2014, 08:53 AM

1,846 posts, read 4,741,022 times
Quote:
to be honest i've seen plenty of ground package carriers toss boxes around both in warehouses and at residential delivery so not sure if that's any "safer" then wrapping your pc in bubble wrap and putting it in a suitcase or box to check as extra baggage. I cant say if one is better then the other as far as total expense you'll pay though.

I agree!!

Shipping companies aren't more careful with packages

Old 07-14-2014, 01:14 PM

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by brianjb View Post
I agree!!

Shipping companies aren't more careful with packages
Hmm, seriously? I know Canada Post told me if I label it with "fragile", then they'd handle it more carefully, and that I could even put something like "this side up", so that it wouldn't get overturned. Don't know how much of that is true then. As for FedEx and UPS, they also told me it doesn't get thrown around (well, they would say that whatever the case), but that it does go on conveyor belts. What kind of packages have you seen thrown around, though? Because this one would be heavy, so I'm not sure whether they could just throw it around. I can see how it would get rough treatment, though...

Old 07-14-2014, 01:49 PM

1,166 posts, read 1,380,022 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EmperorRyker View Post
Hmm, seriously? I know Canada Post told me if I label it with "fragile", then they'd handle it more carefully, and that I could even put something like "this side up", so that it wouldn't get overturned. Don't know how much of that is true then. As for FedEx and UPS, they also told me it doesn't get thrown around (well, they would say that whatever the case), but that it does go on conveyor belts. What kind of packages have you seen thrown around, though? Because this one would be heavy, so I'm not sure whether they could just throw it around. I can see how it would get rough treatment, though...
I've known people who've worked at both Fedex and UPS and heard many stories of just how well packages marked Fragile were handled. Hint: Not gently.

I would be hard pressed to make the effort to bring my own desktop all that way, but since it's custom built, I'd just pull out the components to shove into my suitcases and reassemble on the other end with a new box and monitor if I didn't just sell the whole thing and build a new one from scratch.

Is there important work etc. you do that you need your desktop immediately when you arrive in the USA? Is it a need to have it, or more of a want?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > General Moving Issues