U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > General Moving Issues
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-23-2014, 06:20 PM

777 posts, read 721,735 times

Advertisements

Thank you Tobiashen and BreakingBad. I need all the prayers I can get!

To give an update - It was a busy weekend! I was able to sell all my furniture and we're out of the apartment. I also emailed my former LL I rented from for two years prior to this apartment to see if she had anything available. I rented from her for two years and had excellent history. I even used her as a reference for this apartment. I explained to her what was going on. She said she wouldn't have any apartments until the end of August but she will look out for me. I just heard back from her this morning and she asked me what size did I need. That's a good sign.
I went to work Monday, but something told me not to hand in my resignation and I didn't. I just asked for today off and figured I figure out something later. Last night, I called my friend who we were supposed to be staying with in nola to touch base with her about timelines and all. Now she says she has to speak to her husband first. And I haven't heard from her yet. I'm not mad because I don't want to be a burden on anyone and I know she's busy. And there's no telling if or when I'll find a job once I get out there and I can't rent b/c of my credit. So, needless to say, I've decided to stay here since I at least have a job here. So the trip to nola is cancelled for now.
We're in an extended stay for the next week. These extended stays ARE expensive, rarog! I can't afford $348 a week. I figure I'd scour Craigslist as much as I can and try to find a rental for maybe $800 for the next month, hoping my former LL comes through in August. I thought about taking my son to his dad's since I have the money to make the trip and I can just rent a room for the next month for $500 or so. That way I don't have to worry about him. He wants to stay with me. I'll have to pray on it because I don't want him going through this if he doesn't have to. We'll see.
I wanted to make it a fun day for him so we had breakfast at McDonalds. Then went to the library, walked the mall and went to see a movie. I started thinking in the movie the I hadn't gone to the grocery store to buy him lunch for the week, then it hit me that we're homeless and I started crying in the movie. No one heard me, thank goodness. It was one of those silent cries you couldn't hear over the sound in the movie anyway. But I know we'll get through this. I keep saying the very bright side of this is that we have a roof over our head for the week. I can sleep better.
I really don't want to go to work tomorrow. I need a another day just to wind down mentally cause this is very draining! But I better not push it.
Thank you all for your advice and support. I really do appreciate it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-23-2014, 06:35 PM

5,662 posts, read 4,367,950 times
Keep at it. And I now want you to know you are an official member of The Brave Girls Club. When this is over, you will need to get yourself a brave girl tee shirt. Thanks for the update. I am cheering for you.

Old 07-23-2014, 09:39 PM

128 posts, read 125,922 times
Good luck jaynaydee. My husband and I are struggling financially and we have a big move coming up. It just reminds me that our situation could be a lot worse. I am keeping my fingers crossed that everything works out for you. No one should ever have to worry about a place to live...it's a sad world we live in that it's more common than people admit.

Old 07-23-2014, 11:11 PM

2,320 posts, read 2,083,618 times
I'm so glad to hear back from you! You're taking charge and covering all the bases. I smiled when I read that you listened to your intuition and didn't feel right about turning in your resignation. Kudos! So many people ignore that, even when they know better (I'm one of them), but you followed your own compass, and that says a lot about your character. Prayers will keep coming from this side, I promise!

Old 07-24-2014, 03:51 AM

3,311 posts, read 3,004,384 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WorldKlas View Post
Well, your credit will be in the toilet so go ahead and sell the furniture you still owe money on and let your creditors know you can't make payments and work something out.

Have a face-2-face with your manager at work and come clean about your situation. Considering your very limited options -- what you need is to be released from the 2 weeks notice w/o a bad reference or perhaps they will have some other ideas. Unless the work situation is incredibly impersonal or your boss is an unkind person, I recommend you talk to your boss before you talk to HR.

If you intend to stay on the job, or even need a place just to stay until Friday, call your local Red Cross and ask about community resources for shelter. I know there are churches and private benefactors who would pay for a short hotel stay in our area and actually (I worked for a big corporation) our company at times let employees "pass the hat" when someone was in crisis and even matched the contributions......
I respectfully disagree with the bold part. IF the OP can telecommute as suggested in the first post, try to keep that job (doing it online) while looking for a new job in a new location. Better to have something than nothing.

Jaynaydee: Please know that you will get through this. You just can't imagine how strong you are until you are on the other side of the issue. I saw a quote a few days ago. It goes something like this: "You don't know how strong you are until you don't have a choice." Take one step at a time. And fight like a girl.

Old 07-25-2014, 10:09 AM

5,286 posts, read 2,284,046 times
You can get through this! You're doing great. Just take it a day at a time.

If you get along with his dad, I would totally ask him. That will buy you a little more time. Get thy rear to a Dollar tree too...not only is it awesome lol they have some things you could put together some meals/snacks at the extended stay with. Be careful, some items are actually cheaper at the grocery store .

Sending you positive thoughts.

Old 07-25-2014, 04:48 PM

1,421 posts, read 1,895,142 times
You are strong...please keep us posted. I hope your old landlord can help you out soon then maybe your friend will be willing to let you stay with them for a little while. Keep looking for a job and see if you can transition your current job into a remote position.

Old 07-26-2014, 03:32 AM

981 posts, read 1,085,496 times
"You don't know how strong you are until you don't have a choice."

I really like this quote!
I am not in as difficult position as the original poster

but I am a single person of 67 with a bad knee, and I just finally finished packing up, am waiting for the movers.
I did have wonderful help from good friends, without whom I wouldn't have been able to do it.

To the original poster- I hope things work out for you, better than you may be able to imagine right now.
Many times during the past 3 weeks I felt "There is no way I can do this."
But I did.
One foot in front of the other. One day after the other.
And -
don't be afraid to ask for help!

Quote:
Originally Posted by metamorphosis View Post
I respectfully disagree with the bold part. IF the OP can telecommute as suggested in the first post, try to keep that job (doing it online) while looking for a new job in a new location. Better to have something than nothing.

Jaynaydee: Please know that you will get through this. You just can't imagine how strong you are until you are on the other side of the issue. I saw a quote a few days ago. It goes something like this: "You don't know how strong you are until you don't have a choice." Take one step at a time. And fight like a girl.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > General Moving Issues