Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > General Moving Issues
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-21-2014, 01:30 PM

5 posts, read 13,739 times

Advertisements

Hey guys ive read through so many threads here and has become my go to place for many things. About me, im 18, was kicked out of my parents house, they have made it very clear there is no coming back. So now im looking at what to do, my area is very economically depressed with a VERY HIGH crime rate, so i figure, im 18, have nowhere to go, i have about $1500 saved, 9 months work experience in a pizza place which i know is not much AT ALL but its what i have.. Now im at the library writing this and thinking of a plan. I have nothing here tying me down or any obligations, so i really want to basically leave to a new city where i can find a job and get back on my feet, i dont care where it is, i just need somewhere i can move to, find a roomie on craigslist and hopefully find a job, any job.

Basically im asking for a city/town with a good exonomy but also remember i dont have a degree although i do plan on gettingone once im on my feet and established

I guess even though i said anywhere i should probably put somethings i would prefer

1)Good economy obviously
2)pref. a forest/lake/evergreen setting
3)i prefer the cold to the heat
4)population around 100k

But like i said i am willing to give up the last 3 for a good economy

This is going to sound very hard headed of me but im leaving no matter what! So please dont convince me to stay here instead of leaving, ive put a lot of thought into this and i know that this will be whats best for me

Thank you guys!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-21-2014, 02:14 PM

13,395 posts, read 13,503,206 times
Not sure if this thread is genuine or not...

Anyway, you're best bet is to apply to the cheapest local college that has dormitories. Use all of the free grant money you can get to pay for it (Pell grant, state & local grants). Find a part time or work study job while you're in school.

Old 01-21-2014, 02:23 PM

836 posts, read 1,661,886 times
Sorry to hear of your situation; I can relate.

I went in the military at age 17 due to similar circumstances; it was a great choice.

I found that you can't run from your troubles; they'll beat you to the next destination.

Covenant House is a good org but may have age limit - regardless they have dealt with this a lot more than us so might give you good advice even if they can't help you directly. Covenant House

Regardless of where you go there will be rules to be followed. Don't be too proud to accept help; don't tell others of your savings.

I wish you well!

Old 01-21-2014, 02:28 PM

Charlygal, yes my post is genuine, not really sure why someone would even make a fake homeless post but thats not the point. Ive thought of what you suggested, i dropped out and got my ged which means wherever i go i would have to start at a CC which doesnt really offer dorms..the ged honestly hasnt been a big problem and i will admit i have lied and say i graduated and employers never cared enough to second guess i guess but its not that easy to fool a college

Military was an option running through my mind but unfortuantely i dont meet physical requirements for any branch

Old 01-21-2014, 03:30 PM

7,840 posts, read 9,197,833 times
Look into the Job Corps.

The suggestion for Covenant House and other places for down-and-out teens is a good one, too.

Old 01-21-2014, 03:33 PM

35,095 posts, read 51,230,433 times
You don't have to start at a Community College simply because you have a GED.
Find a college you want to attend and apply, also fill out the FAFSA and apply for grants but stay away from student loans if possible.

Old 01-21-2014, 05:30 PM

367 posts, read 696,996 times
May I ask where you live now? Do you own a car?

Old 01-21-2014, 05:50 PM

281 posts, read 643,563 times
I second the Job Corps suggestion. It will provide a place to live and teach you a skill. Otherwise, possibly a tourist town? I say this because you already have restaurant skills, you could find a tourist town, maybe a ski town (Colorado?) and get a job working nights at a bar or restaurant and leave your days free to pursue school or tech classes. Also, that type of place will usually have plenty of younger people in the industry who would be looking for roommates.

Good luck to you! Congrats on having some savings and keep your head up!

Old 01-21-2014, 08:11 PM

@missmc66. I currently live in Reading Pennsylvania, and no i do mot own a car nor license. All transportation Is done through buses

@TXred that seems plausible, im not familiar with colorado and their ski towns to know much about the tourist industry there, are jobs to be had? And i looked into job corps, going to continue to look into it as i can.

Old 01-21-2014, 08:13 PM

Anybody know if i could get a job on the oilrigs in tx at 18?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > General Moving Issues