Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > General Moving Issues
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-03-2008, 01:22 PM

15 posts, read 382,051 times

Advertisements

We are thinking of relocating to Ohio from Orlando. How much does it cost to have a moving company move your household? We had used PODS when we moved down and it wasn't too expensive but it would be nice to have someone load and unload.

Thanks for any info!!
em

p.s. we have a 2500 sq ft home, but not full.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-03-2008, 01:51 PM

415 posts, read 2,327,959 times
Moving with a moving company is based on weight and distance. not knowing how much weight you have in your home makes it impossible for anyone to give you an exact price to move to FL.
You will want to have at least 3 moving companies come to the house and do a visual survey, with this information they can price the move for you. What ever you do, ( DO NOT ) take a move from a company over the internet. Only move with someone that comes to your house and provides you a written estimate. Next thing to watch for is a low ball price, if it seems real cheap, there is a reason for that. The best companies to check with are Mayflower ( Which I am a sale manager for ) United Van lines, Allied Van Lines or North American. These 4 companies do aprox 80% of the domestic moves.

Good luck and let me know if you would like more information. IF you were able to tell me how many pods you used and what size they were I could provide a rough idea of a cost, but certainly not an exact price

Old 09-04-2008, 02:49 PM

275 posts, read 1,756,094 times
We completed our move from Northern California (San Jose) to South Carolina one month ago. We packed our own boxes and the moving company took care of everything else (wrapping furniture, disasembling bed frames, etc.) and moved everything into our home in SC and reassembled. Total cost was $8,800 without the in between storage costs. Our home in Calif. was 2,000 sq. ft. with a moderate amount of furniture and we disposed of our junk before the move (meaning we aggressively purged the useless stuff we had accumalated over the years).

Hope this helps!

Old 09-05-2008, 07:01 AM

15 posts, read 382,051 times
mjames-thanks for the info, I just wanted a round about number. My husbands company has a 10K moving expense and I wanted to make sure we shouldn't negotiate for more.

Thanks for your help!
em

Old 09-05-2008, 12:32 PM

630 posts, read 2,221,400 times
You could use POD's and hire movers who can pack and load the POD's and then have them unload at the other end. I have found a few companies that offer this type of service, and they are not day labors.

If you have vehicles, don't forget the cost for shipping a vehicle, or two depending.

Good luck to you on your relocation

Old 09-05-2008, 03:25 PM

13,608 posts, read 20,656,973 times
Since you are moving more than 50 miles, you can deduct the moving expenses on your taxes. Of course, save all receipts for boxes, padding, movers, etc.

Old 09-05-2008, 03:50 PM

983 posts, read 4,429,660 times
Well I can only tell you some of the quotes I've gotten for a 1 bdrm apt move from CA to Tx. Pods was really high IMO with a quote of over $2700 with a AAA discount of about $275 off of that price. Some movers over the internet got bad reps on movingscam.com, one quoted me $1500 and another quoted me $1200. So I know they are going to jack me in the end when they can hold my stuff hostage. I agree with above poster don't get an internet quote but have someone come out to give a quote. Also Upack moving is reasonable since they charge you for space used. They drop off a trailer and give you 3 days to load it. They are very reputable. I am only going to use about 6 linear ft and my quote was $1097 for door to door or $852 if I take it to the freight yard and load the trailer there. I got a quote from a full service mover for $2200 approx. but also an internet quote.
But again my move is a lot less stuff then yours probably. Be sure to check out the website above to get feedback on a company's rep.
If you use pods you can also get loaders and unloaders off of Uhaul's partner site emove.com, some of them have excellent feedback.

Old 09-06-2008, 05:14 AM

1,270 posts, read 5,191,379 times
My move raked in around $12-$15K give or take for the moving company. Luckily it was a relocation and my employer paid 100%. I had a 2 BR townhouse, 1200 SF and a single vehicle. That said, they did the packing, which I know increased the cost. They did not do the unpacking-they did the "dump & run" lol! They did reassemble tables and beds and that kind of stuff, but basically just left the boxes in the rooms they were labelled for. (My belongings arrived 2 weeks before I did, so my landlord gave them access to deliver and put my car in my garage.)

The rest is based on weight. And I didnt have a ton of furniture or anything really heavy other than my car. I moved from Cleveland to Phoenix, so they had to take my vehicle as well because I flew out.

Old 09-06-2008, 10:42 AM

6,351 posts, read 21,466,335 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Moth View Post
Since you are moving more than 50 miles, you can deduct the moving expenses on your taxes. Of course, save all receipts for boxes, padding, movers, etc.
If you get a moving allowance from your employer, only expenses ABOVE what your employer gave you would be deductible.

Old 09-06-2008, 09:00 PM

450 posts, read 1,497,603 times
Try ABF trucking.. We moved from Modesto California to Portland Tennessee and it cost us $3400.00 and we did all the packing. I liked that because if anything got broke it was MY FAULT and no one else's... BTW nothing was broke...

Good Luck on your move.....
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > General Moving Issues