U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > General Moving Issues
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-29-2014, 08:44 AM

126 posts, read 297,160 times

Advertisements

My family and I are thinking about moving to a new state. My husband is going to school for welding, so when he's done with school he is going to try and find a welding job in another state. We haven't decided where yet. I would love some opinions. Here is what we are looking for. I know we will not get everything on our list, but would love to get as close as possible.
We have lived in Arizona for four years. Too hot! Illinois for most of our lives, too cold! So we want somewhere that kind of has four seasons with a very mild winter. I would be good with no snow, but a dusting here and there would be ok. Summers in the 80s low 90s.
Green grass! We have a one year old and would love to have a swing set and play area in the yard for him. Also, decent schools is a must! We have a while before he's in school, but need to think ahead. We would also love to live by the ocean or Gulf of Mexico. We don't want to live in California.
I know, I live in a dream world. Not too many places like that. Any suggestions for some of the things on our list?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-29-2014, 08:50 AM

3,926 posts, read 4,742,814 times
Houston. Period. With the petrochemical industry, there is a big demand for welders. Alternative is the Beaumont area, Lake Charles. Same reason.

Old 07-29-2014, 11:42 AM

13,780 posts, read 18,685,586 times
I think you would be happy in Texas as well . close to the beach also if you wanted the gulf of mexico .I was also thinking Houston but anywhere in texas would probably suit you . Good luck

Old 07-29-2014, 02:06 PM

4,706 posts, read 3,154,723 times
Look into Delaware and/or Maryland. And if you want it a little more hotter, look into North Carolina.

Cat

Old 07-29-2014, 02:54 PM

126 posts, read 297,160 times
Thanks for the input! Houston is one of the places we are considering. We were thinking about maybe South Carolina. Does North Carolina get much snow? I would rather not have much snow or any at all really, but I know you don't really get a good fall if you don't have snow in the winter.

Old 09-02-2014, 12:30 PM

1,822 posts, read 1,390,065 times
Houston is dreadful in many ways: hot and humid (with the swamp-like atmosphere, you'll be sweating constantly), extremely polluted, way to large (one of the largest city footprints in the US), edgy/angry attitude (like a southern version of the NE, but with a pro-guns hostility), a Third World multiculturalism and clashing of cultures, the people constantly argue over politics, school standards are low and education is a low priority, and there is no outdoor beauty or scenery of any kind.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > General Moving Issues
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or