Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > General Moving Issues
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-31-2014, 10:41 AM

50 posts, read 84,551 times

Advertisements

My husband got a new job offer with an increased pay (about 1400 month) 1 hour 30 minutes north of where we live now. He will be traveling alot and gone during the week alot since we live so far south of his area and he will have a log book and sometimes wont be able to come home.

The new job area just happens to be by the school district we have always wanted our kids to attend. Our oldest is going into 1st grade this year and we are not super excited about him going to the school district we live in but it just has to be that way for now.

UNLESS we decide to go with PlaN B--We have found a house in the school district that we love that is closer to his work area (so he may be able to come home some nights rather than stay in a hotel) BUT since we have a mortgage also paying rent would make us basically living paycheck to paycheck until our home sells. We are going back and forth trying to decide (before someone rents the house we want! ) if we should make the move and get our son in the grade with all the kids he will be going to school with forever OR make the financially smart move and stay here until our house sells and pay off debt with that extra 1400 he will be making a month. (that woul be going to rent otherwise)

We are able to pay our mortgage and rent but not left with much "fun" money after that and will be living paycheck to paycheck. BUT at the same time we have found the perfect rental house for us in the perfect area with the school district we have always wanted AND closer to his job. Sorry if i am repeating myself -my thoughts are all over the place.

What would you recommend? Thanks in advance!

Last edited by okiemomof3; 07-31-2014 at 11:05 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-31-2014, 11:02 AM

8,097 posts, read 8,239,272 times
If houses are selling well in your area and you can price your house very competitively without losing money, I'd say go for it. You know your present home and neighborhood so you should have a good feel for how marketable your house and your area is at this time.

Old 07-31-2014, 12:08 PM

5,103 posts, read 8,550,202 times
Take the rental house but for now, I suggest two things:

1) Cut your spending to the bone -- eliminate Cable TV, all of the extras. SAVE what you can now in case of emergency. If anyone complains, you are taking a gamble and the cuts are not forever. See the Frugal Living subforum for ideas and put as many into place as possible. Remember, it's only until your house sells! (Although you might like aspects of the lifestyle)

2) Look around for a renter you trust in the event your house doesn't sell -- there might be someone transferring in who needs a temporary place or some such. In the meantime, make sure your realtor is doing his or her job and if you need to lower your price a bit, do it and eat the loss if it isn't too great so that you don't have two houses.

I normally don't recommend this sort of gamble but the better school system and raise are the deal makers in my opinion. If you cut everything you can and live well below your means for awhile I think you can survive this situation intact if your house doesn't sell or an engine blows in one of the cars or some other emergency occurs.

Old 07-31-2014, 12:11 PM

151 posts, read 203,046 times
If the houses in your area are selling well I wouldn't worry about "fun" money, I'd get set up where you want to be so your child can start school. The pinch hopefully won't last long if the houses in your neighborhood are selling fairly quickly.

Old 07-31-2014, 01:12 PM

24,204 posts, read 19,041,607 times
where would you husband be staying when he can't come home? Don't forget to factor those expenses into your comparison.

And as noted by others, I think a lot depends on the market where you are. How are houses selling? How aggressive can you get with pricing? What has your realtor said in terms of how fast the market is moving and what is realistic to expect?

If at all possible, I would move now, have your family be together and let your son start off in the new school in the new district. But it's not the worst thing in the world to move mid-year, esp. in early elementary. So if it doesn't work out financially, I wouldn't worry too much. He will still get to know the kids he will be in school with even if he transfers in a few months.

Old 07-31-2014, 02:21 PM

50 posts, read 84,551 times
He will be staying at hotels wherever he is working (company pays for them )
This is the main concern he has with this new job -he is wanting us to get as close to his territory as possible so he can see the kids as often as possible. He just says he doesn't want to go broke doing it but really would be ok with living paycheck to paycheck if he gets to see them & be home more.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > General Moving Issues